DVDVR Message Board

RAW: 18 April 2016 - SPOILERS from London

Dolfan in NYC

Funny thing is, if Roman was heel leader of the bullet club he would start to get some cheers.  I'm not sure if they are capable of getting the "right" reaction with him considering how badly they have booked him over the last few years.

They seem to be shifting away from the Cena route of smiling through the boos, which is a really good start.  I think a tweener role is the best option at this point.

• Like 1

Making Reigns a tweener or a heel and aligning him with the new BC broadens the horizons of the angle.   You can continue to woo current BC members away from Japan or you could do a Shield reunion and have a returning Rollins and / or Ambrose throw in with the faction.

Counter them with AJ, Cesaro, and Cena and (*sigh* if you must) call up Finn to help out the faces and tease that either he or AJ could defect at any time.

The obvious angle for SS would be Reigns/Rollins so that could actually be really cool if they worked a BC vs Shield angle.  I would have no problem with Reigns in that role, but they could also tell a good Rollins/Reigns story with the BC doing other things. So AJ "turning" and forming the BC would work for me too.

The only issue with AJ's BC vs Roman angle is you know they aren't taking the belt off Roman for a while so there would be a bunch of spinning wheel finishes for the next few months.

If I was fantasy booking I would have an AJ/Balor feud for control of the BC on the undercard at SS.  Whoever you put over in that situation goes straight into a program with the new face champ, Flippy Seth Rollins.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jrag said:

Funny thing is, if Roman was heel leader of the bullet club he would start to get some cheers.  I'm not sure if they are capable of getting the "right" reaction with him considering how badly they have booked him over the last few years.

I'm sorry to sidetrack, but that phrase just instantly reminded me of the Wayne's World on the SNL 40 show where they did the impression of Lorne Michaels saying... "Well it got a laugh, but did it get the right laugh?"

On to the actual point though.... Have his first act as Bullet Club head be to have them murder Dean Ambrose, like a full on stretcher job... maybe blood.   Eventually leading to Seth returning in May to save Ambrose and setting up Reigns/Rollins for the summer. 

No more quips, no more cute smiles, no more pandering to the crowd.  If you're going to have him be a heel, have him be a heel.  We all love KO because she's such a complete shithead. We can all love to hate Roman in the same way, I think. 

• Like 1

Reigns was doing pure heel work on the mic, IMO, though it got a little tweener-y after the run-in. I don't see him taking over the Bullet Club - he gave AJ some "me against the world, bring all your boys!" comment somewhere in there.

I'm on the losing-cheaply-to-Jericho-makes-sense wagon.

Enzo and Cass have PRESENCE. Their eventual New Day feud is going to be absolutely amazing.

6 minutes ago, Jrag said:

The obvious angle for SS would be Reigns/Rollins so that could actually be really cool if they worked a BC vs Shield angle. 

The more I think about it, the more I like that idea.  It actually makes commons sense and booking sense.

The guy that needs the Bullet Club the most is Balor. Roman and AJ will be fine on their own, and Roman always has the huge potential of the Shield reunion or the most likely scenario in teaming with the Usos if he needs backup. AJ is already one of the most over faces on the roster, and should only keep getting stronger reactions. Balor is the guy that will get lost in the shuffle without being in the BC. For me the money is in a Shield vs BC angle and that's needs to be the original members.

Finn and his Demon gimmick are so over it is absurd. I would never call him up to the main roster if it were my decision and I would stop treating NXT as if it were the developmental farm so that there is no stigma associated with working NXT.  Run it like a separate promotion.

Gallows / Anderson need him and the Balor Club umbrella more than Finn needs them. 

Not calling Balor up is leaving a lot of money on the table. The Balor Club/ Demon merch would probably sell a ton once Balor is on the MR.

I think Gallows and Anderson would be fine with Finn or AJ in the group. Balor could do well on his own, but the demon gimmick has already suffered from diminishing returns in NXT. On the MR they would run it into the ground after 6 months.

Last I heard was May. It's going to be amusing when Rollins returns and tells Roman he's carrying around his title, and the only reason he has it is because Seth got hurt. Of course most fans will agree with Rollins so more hurdles for Roman to clear.

If we go by the 9-month table for when an injury like that usually heals, I figure Rollins could be back by MITB to cut promos/set up the story and ready for the ring by late July.

Reigns is already a tweener.  He's basically dismissive of his opponents and he's all but said FUCK YOU to the live crowds.  He hasn't pandered to anyone in weeks, and seems to enjoy sending them into a tizzy.  "I don't know if you've heard, but I'm the GUY" is pretty telling.

The #1 reason AJ may not end up with the Bullet Club is that for the turn to be effective, he'd need to win at Payback.  I don't see that happening.  They're not going to take the belt off Roman 5 weeks following WM, nor should they.

Finn would work, but with how he's been built as Mr. NXT with tons of merchandise and the UK/Ireland tour looming, that may be too much to work around.  I think Balor at SummerSlam is a real possibility.  But even then, I don't know if he goes heel immediately.

The easiest play that would lead to a good story would likely be for Roman to team up with Gallows & Anderson, then have Styles go with Ambrose & Rollins for a bit.  Meanwhile, Rollins is trying to get back the WHC, Reigns is keeping him away from it, Ambrose is constantly tempted to drive an ice pick into Seth's eyes, with G&A thinking Reigns will mutiny back to his Shield brothers and causes them to call for Finn.

Heck, you could scrap all that.  Just as BC is about to beat down Roman at Payback, have the Usos come out with some new backup--Samoa Joe.  Joe is the consigliere to Roman's final boss.  Bring Naomi and Tamina in--shit, if Lana is still buddies with them, have her go over and take Rusev with her out of the League of Nations.  OK, that's a bit wild--but it would be fun.

• Like 1

Bullet Club question from someone who doesn't watch New Japan aside from a few videos to see who these dudes are:

Is there anything but more to them than doing nWo and DX knock-off stuff? I am all for a good stable war but their New Japan promos were just rehashes of things I didn't like 20 years ago. I know doing things for a Japanese audience is way different than here. But is there anything to them beyond the Wolfpack signs?

Also: Is Kenny Omega any good? His evil video game final boss gimmick is really fun. 

5 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Bullet Club question from someone who doesn't watch New Japan aside from a few videos to see who these dudes are:

Is there anything but more to them than doing nWo and DX knock-off stuff? I am all for a good stable war but their New Japan promos were just rehashes of things I didn't like 20 years ago. I know doing things for a Japanese audience is way different than here. But is there anything to them beyond the Wolfpack signs?

Also: Is Kenny Omega any good? His evil video game final boss gimmick is really fun. 

Your assumption is pretty much spot on.

It's basically just putting all the gaijin in one stable and having them rehash things the nWo and DX did twenty years ago. That's why I don't understand why it's so popular and why people want the same thing in the WWE.

Kenny Omega is awesome, but a lot of people around here will tell you the opposite.    

7 minutes ago, JCM said:

Last I heard was May. It's going to be amusing when Rollins returns and tells Roman he's carrying around his title, and the only reason he has it is because Seth got hurt. Of course most fans will agree with Rollins so more hurdles for Roman to clear.

Roman just has to point out that Seth was HHH's de-facto spoiled son for over a year, needed Kane/J&J to babysit him, and came for the title only after Reigns and Lesnar had knocked each other around for 20 minutes.  Which was obviously smart, but still kind of a bratty thing to do.

Not only that, Reigns won the title off Seth's so-called mentor--who, if he was really The Game anymore, could have kept it warm for Seth and out of Roman's hands.  Which raises the question--would HHH ever given Rollins a chance to take back the belt?  Does Trips really care about him as much as Rollins thinks?

I was initially confused when Jericho went over AJ at Mania (figured he was gonna then be Roman's first challenger) but they are almost out of heels near the top of the card with Wyatt turned/hurt and the League sorta dragging down everyone who is a member.  You basically got Owens and Jericho unless you want to heat up and turn Show or Kane once more.  Jericho is still seen by many as a guy who comes in just to lose to the new guy of the moment and they sorta need him to be more than that right now, hence he gets to sneak out with a few tainted wins. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I'm curious about Bullet Club, too.  I haven't watched any of New Japan outside of a few YT clips.  Omega seems crazy in a good way, and I have to catch up with Nakamura's stuff.

Kenny Omega was on ROH a couple weeks back with one of my favourite spots ever!  While he distracted the ref, one of the Young Bucks (who accompanied him to ringside) kicked his opponent ACH in the head, then placed a banana peel on the mat.  When the ref turned around, he pointed at the banana peel and said "He slipped" (Which prompted a "He slipped" chant from the crowd), when Omega spotted the peel, he grabbed his broom (Which he uses in his entrance, in case anyone didn't know) and swept the banana off the mat.  Just SLAYED me.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

One more thing about the Bullet Club. It's not a Vince creation.  I would expect Roman to kill them way more than I'd expect Bullet Club to gain any real traction.

Are Anderson and Gallows collectively known as Bullet Proof? I can see a Reigns heel turn with those guys just using that name, and Roman providing upgraded D-Lo Chest Protectors for all of them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, caley said:

Kenny Omega was on ROH a couple weeks back with one of my favourite spots ever!  While he distracted the ref, one of the Young Bucks (who accompanied him to ringside) kicked his opponent ACH in the head, then placed a banana peel on the mat.  When the ref turned around, he pointed at the banana peel and said "He slipped" (Which prompted a "He slipped" chant from the crowd), when Omega spotted the peel, he grabbed his broom (Which he uses in his entrance, in case anyone didn't know) and swept the banana off the mat.  Just SLAYED me.

Because he's the cleaner!  GET IT!  CLEANER!  He has a broom!  A BROOM~!  Because he is the cleaner!  CLEANER!

• Like 1

Kenny Omega is an acquired taste.  He's a solid worker, has loads of personal charm, and "gets" pro wrestling. 

He's comfortable doing straight kayfabe angles or quasi-comedy stuff hence the video game final boss gimmick.  

Most or the WRESTLING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS people hate him because his antics are sometimes considered to be business exposing or whatever the hell that means.

I agree that WWE may be leaving money on the table by not calling up Finn, but he is so entrenched in NXT that it may be hard to get him to the MR without damaging the Demon gimmick, unless Finn loses the belt outside of a Takeover event.  Or maybe you pull a Flair and have him just show up with his title belt on RAW or a PPV and accept an open challenge.