DVDVR Message Board

WWE ROADBLOCK (March 12 Toronto Show)

RIPPA

Wasn't thrilled with the finish, but for all intents and purposes, Dean Ambrose kicked Triple H's ass. Strongest he's looked in a while. New Day, as always, was glorious. Wade Barrett deserves better. Still don't understand the hesitancy to put the nxt tag belts on Enzo & Big Cass. Sami Zayn/ Stardust was fun, as was Charlotte/Natalya. 

Brock vs. Harper was officially my spot on being done with Brock, for the record. Him being so far above everyone else on the roster has officially driven me to the point of "Fuck this" regarding him. I don't care how good the match is, he actively takes away from everyone else.

By the second German, I was pretty much done. I wish we had gotten Brock vs Stardust and Zayn vs Harper.

• Like 1

IRT the stream being bad tonight - this was one of the first times during a live event I've never had streaming issues, though I'm watching on a wired connection instead of wifi like normal.

Also agree that the crowd was either not that loud or maybe it was just the acoustics/micing of the building.

Main event was legit good and one of if not the best singles matches Ambrose has ever had.  The opening minutes with him screwing with HHH were top notch.  I figured there was going to be some type of fuck finish, but the way it ended was still dumb.

Rest of the card was decent enough.

Charlotte/Nattie went a lot longer than I expected, but I'm guessing that has something to do with Nattie being the local hero or whatever.

I was also surprised at how long Stardust/Sami went.  Another really competitive match that shows Stardust should get used more and better than he is, but I don't know how they'd do that.

NXT tag match was nice and I hope this means Enzo and Cass are being called up in the next week or two.

Harper/Lesnar was disappointing.  First some inane babble from Bray about it being a 2 on 1 match, then he never even gets near the ring (which is usual as he usually has the others do his dirty work), then we get a glorified squash.  The opening sequence had me hope for Harper and Bray stiffing the fuck out of eachother for a while, but nope.  Agreed with the others that said Brock has been built up so much it's going to be borderline unbelievable when someone gets a decent amount of offense in on him.

Brock vs. Harper was officially my spot on being done with Brock, for the record. Him being so far above everyone else on the roster has officially driven me to the point of "Fuck this" regarding him. I don't care how good the match is, he actively takes away from everyone else.

Only because they've settled into booking him like everyone else while he still wrestles this way instead of building up to big special attraction matches.

It worked when he did this and then Roman got to be competitive with him at Mania, for example.

It doesn't work at all for me anymore because of the Suplex City shit. He just does nothing but German people now a days and that's it, and it lost all of it's uniqueness that made it work at Mania.He used it against Rollins, it didn't work, he just did it with Harper and it didn't work save for Harpers offense. I'm tired of it.

I'm going to repeat this in the next week, but Brock reminds me a little of Stan Hansen. The difference is this: 90s Stan Hansen (and Aja Kong too in some ways) was a tool for the opponents facing him. It was a matter of "how will Kawada or Kobashi or Misawa deal with the challenge of Stan Hansen's unrelenting onslaught." And that's what led to the matches being so fascinating. We don't get that with Brock. Instead of being a clever entry point into creating unique, organic, dramatic narratives, we get a minute of the sort of thing I mentioned, then a litany of suplexes and eventually the finishing stretch. It's dynamically moronic and even worse in these little house show matches.

I'm going to repeat this in the next week, but Brock reminds me a little of Stan Hansen. The difference is this: 90s Stan Hansen (and Aja Kong too in some ways) was a tool for the opponents facing him. It was a matter of "how will Kawada or Kobashi or Misawa deal with the challenge of Stan Hansen's unrelenting onslaught." And that's what led to the matches being so fascinating. We don't get that with Brock. Instead of being a clever entry point into creating unique, organic, dramatic narratives, we get a minute of the sort of thing I mentioned, then a litany of suplexes and eventually the finishing stretch. It's dynamically moronic and even worse in these little house show matches.

This is not the story WWE is interested in telling with Luke Harper, though.

We'll see what Brock does with Dean at Mania. Although, I'd be furious if I were him after the Main Event but he probably didn't even watch it.

God, I can just envision how HHH-Reigns is going to unfold. HHH is going to work it as a babyface, like he tried to do tonight, give Reigns a few crotch chops, pander to the crowd, probably control the offense for most of the match until Reigns makes his big comeback at the end. 

The crowd was dead for tonight's main until the sharpshooter got busted out, and that's a match with a guy in Ambrose that people actually LIKE. Short of having Emmitt Smith in his corner as manager, I don't think there's any way they're going to be able to salvage the crowd reaction awaiting them in Dallas.

My stream on the Amazon® Fire Stick was perfect. 

Main event was lots of fun, and made Dean look like a legit threat. Trips really hasn't lost a step. 

Rest of the show ranged from really good(NXT tag title match. WWE tag title match.Zayn/Stardust) to so-so(Swagger-Jericho).

Oh god, I completely disagree that this match did anything for Ambrose.

Good match unless you think about it. Why was Trips face? Why was the story that Dean is almost good enough to beat a 50 year old? Who does this help? Dumb dumb dumb.

• Like 2

Zayn-Stardust went way too long, and the crowd was dead for it, IN CANADA, which doesn't bode well for Sami. I think they really need to give him some mic time, or a vignette or something. Right now he's just a guy who is good at wrestling named Sami Zayn.

Where is he from? What kind of name is that? What's his background? Why is he in the WWE? Why are there checkered racing flags on the side of his tights? These are all questions that might connect people to him a little more if they were answered.

• Like 2

Zayn-Stardust went way too long, and the crowd was dead for it, IN CANADA, which doesn't bode well for Sami. I think they really need to give him some mic time, or a vignette or something. Right now he's just a guy who is good at wrestling named Sami Zayn.

Where is he from? What kind of name is that? What's his background? Why is he in the WWE? Why are there checkered racing flags on the side of his tights? These are all questions that might connect people to him a little more if they were answered.

Yeah, I can't believe that only went 12 minutes because it felt like 20.  That match was like watching one of those old MSG shows where some territory guy who wasn't getting a push would come in and get his clock cleaned by Iron Mike Sharpe before winning in 15 minutes. 

• Like 2

Even if they're not gonna do all that, the match was still a vintage WWE terrible face debut. That match should've been 5 minutes tops and most of it should've been Zayn offense. Stardust is a jobber. His purpose is to make other guys look good. Eating Stardust offense for 10 minutes does not make anyone look good. Why is anyone who's never seen Zayn before going to get behind a guy who's working a standard competitive formula match with one of the biggest losers on the roster?

Highlight of this show was Enzo and Cass vs. Dash and Dawson. You could tell not everyone in the crowd knew these guys, but they all established their characters quickly and went on to have an engaging match. Probably not as good as their London match, but still one of the better main show outings from this year.

• Like 3