DVDVR Message Board

NBA 2015-16: 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

10 hours ago, Jrag said:

T-Wolves still somehow running the best tank job even though they have the best rookie since Lebron.  It's amazing that they will get another lottery pick to add to Wiggins, Lavine and Towns. 

Which is why the majority of owners/management are weak sauce for not revamping the draft lottery when they had a chance to vote on it.

The Lakers situation/gossip might get worse before it gets better, which probably makes it juicer than the Barnes/Derek Fisher run-in.  At least Fisher didn't have to see Barnes at work every other day.  Nick Young is hurt so they have that excuse to keep him away for awhile.

There are a couple easy Kobe/Shaq jokes to make here, but I'll spare yall.

the difference with the Kobe/Shaq thing is Kobe was trying to save his ass and didn't think the conversation would get out there. Not great but not as bad as this. This kid sets up Swaggy and then apparently UPLOADS the video to social media?  How stupid do you have to be? I hear he thought it was a "prank" but what the fuck. You're 20-years old, not 14.

I don't think its just Young though. I can't see how anyone would trust him for a long time, if ever again. As for the lottery, the wheel is a really stupid idea, especially in a league as deep as the NBA. Given how BRUTAL the west has been the last few season, the TImberwolves shouldn't be punished if they can't make the leap after a decade of shit. . .

What an absolute horseshit charging call drawn by Steph.  

Mark my words, they're going to get into trouble because they've become way too complacent. 

2 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I don't think its just Young though. I can't see how anyone would trust him for a long time, if ever again. As for the lottery, the wheel is a really stupid idea, especially in a league as deep as the NBA. Given how BRUTAL the west has been the last few season, the TImberwolves shouldn't be punished if they can't make the leap after a decade of shit. . .

The wheel would not have been necessarily the idea I would want for the revamp system, but there are more ideas than just it out there.

I'm also not buying them being punished if they didn't get another high lottery pick after nabbing Towns the previous year.   The bottom of the Western Conference playoff race isn't actually great this season, the 8th seeded playoff team has a losing record currently, and the T-Wolves aren't even close to it.  I don't mind a bad team having a higher percentage chance of getting a good player in the lottery to a point.  Multiple seasons with high lottery picks of being bad is not something I'm down with right now.  Those teams that push for the 8th seed and even a 7th seed should get some more incentive too to be in that playoff spot instead of the "they need to tank out of it" mentality.

All fair, but I think financial penalties would be better as an incentive. Not the playoffs necessarily, but say multiple seasons with less than 20 wins would cost x amount of money, under 30 y, and so on. A rule to say you can't have back to back number one picks would be fair, but anything beyond that is playing with fire.   Plus I would say that 2 games separating the 6th seed from the 9th is pretty competitive. 

Zach Lowe had a note somewhere (or maybe on his podcast) where they would extend the lottery all the way to the 5 seed in the playoffs. That makes a lot of sense to me. Not having a lottery pick means you have home court advantage for a round in the playoffs. No one would give that up for the 1% chance to get a Top 3 pick from that position.

My dream idea: The idea of a March Madness style FA-Cup thing has come up before. In my version, the bottom 8 teams in each conference are in the tournament. Then there is the one-and-done format. The team that wins this gets the number one pick in the draft. Then the rest of the draft is done via lottery.

It would be a great spectacle. In addition, the likely winning team this year would be someone like Utah or Indiana. Either one of those teams adding Simmons or Ingram or whoever all of a sudden has a lot of legs in the direction of winning a title. Everyone always says the worst type of team to be in the NBA is in the middle-of-the-pack. Now that's not so bad. Teams that are one player short of being really good get rewarded.

Obviously, there would be some tweaks. I'd like to have the lottery extended so it only excludes the Top 4 in each conference in this. That way you decrease some of the incentive for a team to try and go from a 7 seed to an 8 seed to enter my farce of an idea. Also, I don't know the risk/reward of dropping from a 7 to an 8. Would Detroit really want to go from playing a playoff shaky Toronto team to getting bounced by LeBron just to have a shot in a one-and-done tournament that is very much a crapshoot?

Of course, the biggest issue is when the hell you can have this thing.

52 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

What an absolute horseshit charging call drawn by Steph.  

Mark my words, they're going to get into trouble because they've become way too complacent. 

Just to be clear, do you mean this year?

• Like 1

Actually, I have an AMENDMENT to my idea.

Instead of the bottom 16 teams, the only teams in this one-and-done tournament are the teams seeded 5-6-7-8 in the playoffs. The winning team gets the top pick.

I don't think a team like the Clippers would try and tank enough to lose home court advantage in the playoffs. You're giving up a lot to join a crapshoot. And it would also cause teams to really make a push to get to the playoffs.

Imagine Memphis or Charlotte or Portland having the first pick? If they nail that pick, either one of those teams all of a sudden becomes a threat to win the title. Teams like that deserve to have a generational player by building correctly. Portland did great drafting Dame and McCollum and building nice parts around them. But unless Dame gets to a Steph level, they're not winning the title. But add in the top player in the draft? Now the Blazers are something to talk about.

And it also makes for good draft intrigue. Would a team that's in their prime draft someone long on potential (Simmons) or go for someone who is ready immediately (Buddy)?

Early in the year, someone on the T Wolves panicked thinking they would win too many games, so they stopped playing Towns down the stretch for a few weeks lmao. 

It really is an excellent tank. It helps when you have a coach who is great at player development and terrible at winning games.  They really are developing guys, though.  Lavine getting all these minutes is going to go a long way in the future.

They will switch coaches relatively soon.  Maybe this offseason.  Do it THIBS!

My favorite part of this entire Deangelo Russell story is that Lou Williams seems to be more upset than anyone else.  A man with two girlfriends will not tolerate any playa hating whatsoever.  Apparently in their last game everyone passed the ball to Russell except for one guy.  Apparently there was a play where Williams was trapped in the corner and a wide open Russell sliced to the basket.  Lou Williams decided to throw the ball to Kobe, who was 40 feet away from the basket and fell out of bounds trying to catch Williams' terrible pass.  He is legitimately mad.

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Just to be clear, do you mean this year?

Very much so yes.   It took a 12-5 closing run to put away the Jazz. And still put up cutesy, "how did he make that" level shots. With a hell of a lot of help from no-call officiating.   

They do that against OKC or San Antonio, we'll be saying, "Hey remember when the Warriors put up 75 wins?  Yeah, me neither."

Look, am I saying they aren't the prohibitive favorites to win it all?   Not at all.    This is probably the greatest team of all time. 

I'm just seeing a bunch of small cracks forming -- celebrating before a 3 pointer goes up, playing lax with lower level teams, 30'+ shots as part of the regular shot selection.  That's stuff they can get away with when they play the Jazz.  They cannot do that with the Spurs -- as their last game against them showed. 

I really do think chasing 73 is going to bite them in the ass.  They are taking teams best shot every night and never resting their starters.  Meanwhile, Pop just rotates DNPs with a smirk on his face while still limiting minutes.

While this is going on, Lacob is spouting nonsense: "We’re light-years ahead of probably every other team in structure, in planning, in how we’re going to go about things."

I bet Pop's smirk is growing wider.

They can get to 73 wins and still find some time to rest if they do it early enough. I'd be more worried about someone rolling an ankle, but that can happen in a shootaround.

Also: Pop rested guys last year and they got bounced in the first round. There's no guarantee rest works.

Yeah, there's no guarantee the Spurs will even be IN the WCF.  The Thunder appear to be getting their shit together at the right time.  And cracks or no cracks, you can't seriously think the Warriors will have their backs against the wall at any time in the first two rounds. The Rockets and Jazz might steal one (and they'd sweep Dallas), but I think they would murder the Clippers while the Spurs and Thunder potentially goes the full 7.  And that's where the Warriors get their rest.

The Warriors have rested their starters for entire 4th quarters regularly throughout the season. They should be fine. They'll very likely get rest, as Sydney said, should they quickly advance through the first round.

35 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Also: Pop rested guys last year and they got bounced in the first round. There's no guarantee rest works.

Except, you know, it HAS worked over a much larger sample size than one season.  He started limiting Duncan's minutes at age 26.

They got bounced by a really good Clippers team last year.  It's baffling that people still think resting/limiting players doesn't work when the Spurs have been a legit title contender for almost 2 decades straight.