DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... Last Try

RIPPA

Mike Sharpe passing makes me sad. This is a guy who could've cleaned up in the territories. I remember going to smller WWF shows and there would be a SD Jones/Mie Sharpe match here and there and they always busted ass against each other

James

Its odd now to see him in pre WWF places like mid south and world class in the early 80s.

Never thought I would see the day where the Duke of Dorchester Pete Doherty would outlive Iron Mike Sharpe and SD Jones.  Who would have thunk it.

Granted he had some of the worst matches you will ever see on Prime Time Wrestling in the late 80's he was a really solid talent pre Vince's talent raid and other territories.

When JBL first debuted as Justin Bradshaw I thought he was going to do well as he was a big, seemingly legit tough guy who looked authentic when he was tuning people up.  Then he kinda went nowhere for years and after writing a book he was suddenly on top.  I didn't watch WWE much during his world title push, but from what I remember he was decent at worse and much preferable to some of the other slugs that could have been in his position instead.  Plus he was good at playing a character and having an actual gimmick, which is practiced way too seldom nowadays.

Speaking of the Acolytes, why was Simmons never really pushed after that team broke up?  Sure he was past his prime but seemed like he still had some gas left in the tank.  Nagging injuries or something?

I'm not a hardcore wrestling fan anymore or anything and I haven't been following very closely for about 10 or so years, but I've been reading some stuff and people talking about X or Y throwing some great punches... Considering I don't really get the entire idea of extensive paragraphs breaking down fake fighting and just enjoy whatever entertains me despite if it's considered a bad wrestling match or not, I don't get the "great punching" thing. So what's the origin of that and who's really considered the best punchers in wrestling?

I'm sure this has been talked about extensively before on here in the past, but again, I haven't followed in years, so I'm not aware. Either way I apologize if it's something that's already been beaten to death.

Reading Meltz's bio, I find it weird that Sharpe would've been hampered by a lack of charisma... seems like he had it in spades. Maybe not a great promo, but he always had tons of personality in-ring.

When JBL first debuted as Justin Bradshaw I thought he was going to do well as he was a big, seemingly legit tough guy who looked authentic when he was tuning people up.  Then he kinda went nowhere for years and after writing a book he was suddenly on top.  I didn't watch WWE much during his world title push, but from what I remember he was decent at worse and much preferable to some of the other slugs that could have been in his position instead.  Plus he was good at playing a character and having an actual gimmick, which is practiced way too seldom nowadays.

Speaking of the Acolytes, why was Simmons never really pushed after that team broke up?  Sure he was past his prime but seemed like he still had some gas left in the tank.  Nagging injuries or something?

He was coming up on 10 years out of his prime. 1992-1993 was really the last time he was consistently pretty decent in the ring. APA stuff was fun, but just to see him smash dudes, not because he was great in the ring. I think he was around 45 when the APA broke up. 

Best kind of punch: looks like it's full force, opponent doesn't feel it. Usual example: Dick Murdoch.

Type two: looks like you're punching the guy in face because you basically are. Example: Vader

Type three: Makes little to no contact and you can tell. Example: Big Cass

Worst kind: looks like it barely connects, somehow does actual damage. Example: RVD

• Like 2

I think he did. I don't recall him doing anything after that. 

Other than showing up to say "DAMN!" of course.

IIRC, the WWE released Simmons the day they showed the breakup angle and Simmons' "firing" on SmackDown.  I believe Simmons was going to make the transition to road agent, but was let go due to personal issues (but would return about a year later for on-screen cameos). 

• Like 1

He was coming up on 10 years out of his prime. 1992-1993 was really the last time he was consistently pretty decent in the ring. APA stuff was fun, but just to see him smash dudes, not because he was great in the ring. I think he was around 45 when the APA broke up. 

OOps, thought you meat Bradshaw.  Nevermind this post.

TNA uploading their weekly PPVs with more audio editing than Smackdown. I also completely forgot about America's Most Wanted being formed because Harris and Storm happened to be standing next to each other when an incestual redneck tag team refused to wrestle a gay tag team. #TNALegacy

• Like 1

What makes a great worked punch:

1) Looks like it's making solid contact. Most important thing right here.

2) Looks like it was thrown by someone who knows how to punch.

3) Isn't actually making TOO much contact. This can be hard to tell.

Best kind of punch: looks like it's full force, opponent doesn't feel it. Usual example: Dick Murdoch.

Type two: looks like you're punching the guy in face because you basically are. Example: Vader

Type three: Makes little to no contact and you can tell. Example: Big Cass

Worst kind: looks like it barely connects, somehow does actual damage. Example: RVD

20ibgc9.jpg

What a GREAT worked punch might look like.

Fair enough, thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TNAwrestling/search?query=asylum  

They've uploaded the first 6, plus the best of DVD sets. Weeklies are new, the DVD sets were uploaded a couple of years ago it looks like.

Thanks man! 

It's nice to go back to a time before we all gave up on TNA. 

Lol, nice time:

PZb8SNd.gif IlsW7Ve.gif

yAEGfX6.jpg?1 W9sPp3Z.gif

Joel Gernter intros Lenny and Lodi, saying how they're gay, and while they aren't like him or most of the people there, they're normal. Ed Ferarra (who earlier in the night grabbed Francine's tit and got whipped for it) is very supportive of them, while Don West (who before the match said they're normal and that's cool) gets violently disgusted whenever they do anything "gay" in the match.