DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So my brother really enjoys LU, he lives out of town so I wait to watch it until we can see it together. Anyway he was in town last weekend so we binge-watched all of Season 2 and the first episode of Season 3 in about 48 hours. Which I don't recommend but what can ya do.

I didn't read the last 20 pages (I did read people's thoughts on the finale), but I think I enjoyed Season 1 more. But I saw Season 1 spread out which I do think helps, some of the matches and pairings can get a bit repetitive when you are watching 26 weeks of TV in two days. I think Mil is my favorite character, I like Pentagon of course but his story was so all over the place. Matanza going from "no one can hurt him" to "getting easily beaten around the ring" seemed too sudden, there wasn't a gradual progression from him beating guys like Puma in one move to looking like just another brawler with a really protected finisher. He is stupid strong though.

Nothing really irked me about the season, aside from the Pentagon/Vampiro thing which I know I am not alone in. I did think too many of the big matches just became aimless brawls around the arena. Pentagon, Matanza, and Mil all fight that style, which is fine, but when too many of the matches are clumped together it just becomes a bit old. That is one reason I loved Mysterio/Puma so much, it felt like one of the few matches on the last three shows that was just two great wrestlers going at it without any props. 

Some of my issues admittedly are due to binge watching as I don't think that helps at all, luckily I am going to be seeing my brother about once a month through January so we will catch up in smaller bites this time. Interested in seeing where the main storyline is going, and if Puma is more involved this season, he took a real backseat this season as he wasn't in the main storyline. Hopefully he will be around a bit more for Season 3.

• Like 1

I think most people would agree S1 was better overall for a lot of different reasons.

• Longer season giving angles and characters more time to develop
  • More wacky cinematic vignettes to further the stories
  • The simple fact that it was fresh and new
  • Building around Puma and Mil who are frankly better workers than Matanza and Pentagon
  • Low points were early in the season as opposed to late in the season

Very compelling main event with a feel of what are they gonna do next and what can top that. I usually hate spots where a guy climbs a ladder but makes sure to set up a table behind him first to get put through so I at least appreciated Marty attempting a superplex off the ladder to give it a little reason. The actual finish was properly brutal for the match, good stuff. Great brawl that really came off like both guys went through a war.

I liked this episode of LU, but not primarily because of the WMD match. It wasn't the best arena brawl LU has done, but it was fine and had a good finishing spot. Unfortunately, it was also saddled with perhaps the worst commentary of Matt Striker's career, which covers a lot of ground. A million war puns and he couldn't even come up with "co-ladder-al damage" when the camera man got wiped out by the ladder, smdh.

However, as a fan of LU telenovelas, I liked that the cop angle is really taking off, and I'm highly interested in whether Catrina or the lead detective is the rightful owner of the immortality medallion.

Also, Dr Wagner Jr being promoted by Famous B's local used car salesman level marketing is quite amusing.

7 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

However, as a fan of LU telenovelas, I liked that the cop angle is really taking off, and I'm highly interested in whether Catrina or the lead detective is the rightful owner of the immortality medallion.

It's the greatest angle in wrestling history.  It was all my daughter wanted to talk about after the show.

Felt like Marty brought it and did about as well as he could but wasn't a fan of Killshot's performance, and I'm higher on him than most. It seemed like it was only a matter of seconds not minutes between the big powerbomb spot and Killshot going on offense.  I'm guessing and hoping that's down to editing. 

The medallion shit ruled though. I want more and more outrageous vignette content. The zanier the better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Felt like Marty brought it and did about as well as he could but wasn't a fan of Killshot's performance, and I'm higher on him than most. It seemed like it was only a matter of seconds not minutes between the big powerbomb spot and Killshot going on offense.  I'm guessing and hoping that's down to editing. 

The medallion shit ruled though. I want more and more outrageous vignette content. The zanier the better.

It was editing.  Live, I think the match would have filled a whole episode.

17 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

It was editing.  Live, I think the match would have filled a whole episode.

In that case as much as I dug the stuff before I think the WMD match should have filled the hour so we can appreciate that more.  If they did more selling I think it would have been better.  As it is you weren't kidding as that match was fucking awesome.  Great finish.

I liked Wagner/Sagrada for what it was and enjoyed Mil's quasi-squash match (don't say it much but holy fuck Catrina is super hot for an ageless female)  I wonder if the crowd was confused live by Puma coming out to attack him though.  To go from Rey to Mil with no reason or video to explain it might have been jarring to some.  But it looks like a fun feud is shaping up.  And I absolutely love the police storyline between the woman with the necklace and Joey/Cortez taking sides.  Cortez doesn't know the world of hurt he's going to be in when he returns.  Great war indeed.

I dunno if the editing is getting worse or my eye is getting better at catching things but some of the edits this season have been very poorly hidden. Like yesterday they clearly cut the entire match and went straight to the finish of the opener. I'm sure it was a short match but Mascarita was clearly hitting different ropes than the ones he bounced off of after a quick camera cut leading to the Wagner Driver. And in Argenis/Muertes not only were the cuts obvious but they even tweeted out a picture of Argenis doing a dive onto Mil that never made it to air! That's the kind of stuff LU usually doesn't slip up on.

I love the wacky LU storylines but after last night can't help but feel we're getting too much into Lost territory where we'll keep getting more and more questions instead of answers and when it's time to produce actual answers the producers will have dug themselves into a corner where either there is no logical explanation for things or it'll have to be so beyond abusrd it'll be eye rolling.

"Hey Damon Lindelof, what's the story behind the big source of life on the island?"

"It's that yellow river from the final 2 episodes."

"Yeah but why is it a source of life and who put it there?"

"That's not important."

"Actually it kind of is."

"No, you're missing the big picture!"

"What's the big picture?"

*runs off and hides in his pile of millions*

Obviously there's lots of time for LU to explain things but it really struck me during this episode because we waited to find out how Katrina can be immortal & instead of an answer we got a tease because now you're not supposed to know if it was her getting the amulet or maybe it was Vasquez (since she's female too - duh). Maybe they are sisters? All good questions, I just want answers some day is my point.

Ooh, I'd be down with an old school live chat.  Pick your poison, will it be AIM?  IRC?  Yahoo chat?  I remember chats used to be all the rage, weird how things change in time.  But honestly, if there was one setup I'd join.

13 hours ago, Robert said:

I dunno if the editing is getting worse or my eye is getting better at catching things but some of the edits this season have been very poorly hidden. Like yesterday they clearly cut the entire match and went straight to the finish of the opener. I'm sure it was a short match but Mascarita was clearly hitting different ropes than the ones he bounced off of after a quick camera cut leading to the Wagner Driver. And in Argenis/Muertes not only were the cuts obvious but they even tweeted out a picture of Argenis doing a dive onto Mil that never made it to air! That's the kind of stuff LU usually doesn't slip up on.

I love the wacky LU storylines but after last night can't help but feel we're getting too much into Lost territory where we'll keep getting more and more questions instead of answers and when it's time to produce actual answers the producers will have dug themselves into a corner where either there is no logical explanation for things or it'll have to be so beyond abusrd it'll be eye rolling.

"Hey Damon Lindelof, what's the story behind the big source of life on the island?"

"It's that yellow river from the final 2 episodes."

"Yeah but why is it a source of life and who put it there?"

"That's not important."

"Actually it kind of is."

"No, you're missing the big picture!"

"What's the big picture?"

*runs off and hides in his pile of millions*

Obviously there's lots of time for LU to explain things but it really struck me during this episode because we waited to find out how Katrina can be immortal & instead of an answer we got a tease because now you're not supposed to know if it was her getting the amulet or maybe it was Vasquez (since she's female too - duh). Maybe they are sisters? All good questions, I just want answers some day is my point.

How somebody obtained a medallion or how it got split into two isn't exactly a deeply philosophical question to answer. Does this stem from them not revealing Dr. Claw last season? Because I was bummed about that too but I feel like they made up for that in the premiere.

All I can keep wondering is if Striker was actively trying to fuck that main event with his shitty commentary.  He's normally god awful but he was another level here.  Moth and Killshot are fucking murdering each other, and a competent pbp man would have sold this thing like life or death, but Striker is out there cracking wise like a 2nd tier Buffy character.

• Like 1