DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Can Cheerleader Melissa drag something out of Sexy Star or will the editors be working overtime? Will Sexy Star hopefully disappear for the rest of the season? Will Marty pull his dick out on camera? So many possibilities.

I totally Teen Wolf it from the audience

He did indeed, and it was exactly what you'd expect. You had the sublime and ridiculous on display at the same time. I really wouldn't have that much of a problem with Sexy Star if she was in NXT or WWE, she's pretty hopeless, but paired with someone fairly low on the talent scale she can at least reach a level of bland almost-competent performance to be fairly inoffensive.

LUCHA UNDERGROUND REPORT 3/31/16

Spoiler

Dario opens up talking about a new trios title tournament and number one contender for the title, and Pentagon interrupts to demand a title shot by taking down Dario and threatening to break his arm. That took like three minutes of time that would have been 20+ and fucked up horribly by WWE. Wrestling doesn't have to be longwinded or complicated, people; learn from this. 

Johnny Mundo/Taya vs. Cisco/Cortez: Heel vs. Heel, okay. Taya... doesn't look very good. Slow and reticent, which you can't be in this promotion. Pretty nothing match with a smidgen of heat on Mundo for being a coward until Cage comes out. Striker calls him the "Swollverine"?! The Crew beats Taya with the assist lungblower. Well that was pointless. Cage didn't even chase after them. 

Oh no, the Disciples are back again? Spare me. 

So Marty and Mariposa have the lineage of an Aztec moth tribe, Marty is rich, and Mariposa can dispose of jobbers wearing bootleg Hurican Ramirez and Dr. Wagner masks in moments. And Marty likes the smell of a good book, which I approve of. Nice segment. 

Dario's taken back his office! Red bull figurine and glass of J&B, just like old times. Catrina teleports in to talk to him while Black Lotus watches the door unaware. 

Ivelisse/Angelico/Son of Havoc vs. Disciples of Death (Elimination 6-Man Title Match): Ivelisse, the one person I really wanted to watch, gets eliminated first... go figure. She still busts out some great stuff including a Northern Lights suplex with bridge in the five or so seconds she gets. Angelico eliminates one of them with the Razor's Edge in the corner and him and Havoc bust out a swank stereo Asai moonsault/hilo where they both stick the landing. Angelico then gets eliminated with an "ugly and effective" (as in it just looks like shit) knees to the back faceplant something-or-other from one of the Skullies. Thankfully el Hijo del Havoc hits a nifty double-double stomp on two Skullies to eliminate one and then hits two big topes in a row on the last one after Ivelisse comes back to kick an interfering Catrina in the head. There go the jobbers again, gu-gu-gu-goodbye. You'd think kicks wouldn't work on a ghost but I guess so. 

On Dario's desk, a nameplate reads "I'M KIND OF A BIG DEAL" haha! Rey is there to ask about the death of Dragon Azteca Sr. and Dario denies responsibility, then says he wants Rey to stick around and they toast to Sr. Dario is so damn good. 

Sexy Star vs. Mariposa: They work for all of a minute before Mariposa hits an Air Raid Crash and boom, that's it. Perfect use of Sexy! They beat up the Mack after to boot. Goddamn that is one ugly fucking mask they put on poor Cheerleader Melissa. 

Pentagon Jr. vs. Matanza: Somehow Matanza can toss you like a baseball but can't manage to rip Pentagon's mask. He "injures" Pentagon's back and pins him in no time, kicks Vamp in the face, and finally -- FINALLY! -- somebody manages to break the announcer's table when they're powerbombed on it. Pentagon gets stretchered. Gotta keep the monster strong I guess, sadly at the expense of the one other guy aside from Muertes who's been played up as a lethal threat. 

Eh. This one was kinda just there in the scheme of things. Let's see what happens next week. 

It was impossible to follow up something as epic as Aztec Warfare, but it was still a decent show.  Wasn't a fan of Mundo/Taya vs. Cisco/Cortez.  They were trying to make Cisco/Cortez the faces by default but nobody seemed to care.  The video with Marty was so fucking well-done.  I didn't care for the guy at all initially, but him and now Mariposa are one of my favorite things about the show.  And the music is wonderfully creepy.  And it was weird seeing Pentagon not make any comeback after all that he took.  But it's Matanza and I'm okay with him destroying a top guy to establish dominance.  And goddamn did I miss Dario.  The backstage segments, the bull, all that.  And he's bringing bands back in, and they sounded fucking great.

Nice storytelling episode, and I'm going to take a guess and think that the Matanza/Pentagon Jr thing will play out that Vamp woke back up and is gonna go all Lady Shiva getting Batman back in shape after jobbing to Bane leading to a Pentagon/Matanza hate and blood filled brawl that'll try and compete with the Muertes/Fenix series.

The opening match was uncharacteristically disjointed and slopped together for LU. The Crew were faces out of nowhere, and the Taya/Mundo tension was really rushed. This felt like something out of the first 3 episodes.

The trios match was whatever. The double-double stomp moonsault was pretty sweet by Havoc.

The Mariposa video package where she killed 7 dudes in swift fashion followed by her having to slowly and incompetently lunge at Sexy Star to start their match was about to set me off, but she won fast enough and with the vertebreaker, so I got over it. I wasn't digging Moth as a solo act, but he seems to have really good chemistry with Melissa.

Pentagon... Oof. That was pretty rough. Not only getting no sold and beat with minimal offense, but literally begging for mercy for most of it. I agree with Raziel that there's some serious Batman/Bane vibes here, but Batman definitely looked a lot a better in his loss to Bane. Luckily I think Pentagon is pretty much bullet proof heat-wise. I thought for sure Mil was gonna attack Pentagon during his entrance like last week to give him a little protection.

I was really hoping the Disciples of Death were finished already, they are lousy and have no credibility.  I'd really like Mil Muertes to finish the job and just crush them all into bad CGI sparks.

Sexy Star is still awful.  Getting squashed like that is what she can do best.  

The Mack is an awful actor.  Like, "Joe Blow in Dolemite" bad.  Is that part of his gimmick?  It would kind make sense I guess.

Did the crowd seem strangely subdued during the Pentagon entrance and match?  I'd come to expect more enthusiasm for his bouts.  Maybe it was the ominous expectation that Matanza was going to indeed squish him like a bug.  Still, as OSJ noted above, losing to Matanza is about a zillion times better than losing to Sexy Star, who was a joke and not a credible contender to anything.  Matanza has crushed everything in his path so far, all this establishes is that Pentagon is human.  

I thought the trios tag was pretty fun while it lasted even if Ivelisse went out way quick, nice northern lights though and a sweet roundhouse on Catrina later. Good finishing stretch. Matanza is definitely looking unstoppable so far, killer squash. Speaking of squashes, felt bad for Sexy Star getting crushed so quick. I'm one of the few that always liked her. I like now that Dario's back, the opening bands return, great little touch.

• Like 1

At this point I half expect the Disciples to be killed by Muertes, only to have their spirits merged with one of the bands from S1, so that we have a masked band playing during a Muertes vs. Matanaza match.

Been catching up on the most recent episodes on El Rey's YouTube channel or at least the main events of each episode. So Matanza ended up being the guy from all those Quiet Riot album covers or....Rick from Splatterhouse? Either way I dig the look and I also thoroughly enjoyed Matanza murderizing half the roster to conclude UltimaLucha. As much as I hoped Pentagon Jr., would pull break that mutha's arm one measly week later after the debuting monster decimated half the roster, that would've been far too cheap and easy. I'm totally on board for LU aping the Batman/Bane mold for building to a crazy rematch later on down the road.

On 4/3/2016 at 4:32 AM, DreamBroken said:

I thought the trios tag was pretty fun while it lasted even if Ivelisse went out way quick, nice northern lights though and a sweet roundhouse on Catrina later. Good finishing stretch. Matanza is definitely looking unstoppable so far, killer squash. Speaking of squashes, felt bad for Sexy Star getting crushed so quick. I'm one of the few that always liked her. I like now that Dario's back, the opening bands return, great little touch.

I've liked Sexy too. 

The Mariposa/Marty video was indeed awesome. You can tell Melissa gets a kick out of this kind of stuff. 

• Like 1

Maybe I've said this before, maybe note, but a Repo Man Jr. would do well in LU. Or El Hijo Del Jean Pierre Laffite.

I mean, if he gets Catrina's rock and Dario's key...Famous B hands him a card and he's off to the races.