DVDVR Message Board

[SPOILERS] NXT Tapings (Airs 1/20/16)

RIPPA

I think Enzo/Cass as still totally in the title picture, with Dash/Wilder coming in to talk smack to Carmella before the tag match, I get the feeling Enzo/Cass will be winning the belts at Takeover:Dallas but at the same time American Alpha is so good and so over I don't know how you don't put the belts on them soon either. unless they run a face/face feud after Mania to move the belts to American Alpha and Enzo and Cass to the main roster (to be doomed after a month when Vince tires of them).

Emma should be on the main roster defending the divas belt against Becky. She's way too good to be used as enhancement talent for f'n Carmella. This mixing NXT booking with Breaking Ground needs to die a quick death. I don't watch it, and have no plans to start as I can't stand "reality" tv garbage.

I agree with pretty much all of this.

Emma and Asuka might be the two best workers on the NXT roster right now full stop, not just in terms of the women. In fact, Emma and Asuka might be top six workers in the company overall right now. They are really wasting Emma by having her be the gatekeeper for ascending faces in NXT. 

Re: Stro's post, I am hoping that NXT weekly goes to ninety minutes for that reason. I think it's still short enough to not overexpose all the talent by having them working each week, but long enough to alleviate some of the problems of a stacked roster. 

• Like 1

Emma should be on the main roster defending the divas belt against Becky. She's way too good to be used as enhancement talent for f'n Carmella. This mixing NXT booking with Breaking Ground needs to die a quick death. I don't watch it, and have no plans to start as I can't stand "reality" tv garbage.

Care to give an example of this booking with Breaking Gorunds?

I think he's referring to Carmella and Bayley's friendship

but they are friends...

They really didn't play that up on the NXT weeklies until recently, though, and the idea is that Carmella is getting the shot against Bayley so they can run a "friend vs. friend" angle. And honestly, I really have zero interest in Carmella as a worker or a character. 

I read somewhere that some people were surmising that Breeze got called up partly to give progression to his story on BG that he was still down in NXT, but the time was coming for him to leave. I don't know if that's true, though if it is, he's being wasted up on the main roster for a BG narrative.

I stopped watching BG after about five episodes because I didn't want it to ruin my suspension of disbelief with NXT, so I'd prefer that they don't bring BG narratives over to NXT to build storylines from them, or if they do, to at least better develop those stories simultaneously on NXT so that they make narrative sense even if I don't watch BG. Even though I don't want to see Carmella on my screen, I could more easily accept this if they did a better job of setting it up starting back in October or so to coincide with their real-life friendship being highlighted on BG. 

It's a filler program, though.  It gives Carmella a chance to work against the best in the division and it gives Bayley something to do before the build to the Mania show. There's no one else. You can't have Bayley beat Nia again because Nia needs to be protected against Asuka. Bayley already feuded with Alexa.  They could have run Bayley vs. Emma which would have been awesome but that could easily be a main roster feud also.

Also, I had not seen a lot of Rich Swann's indy work.  If this is what we can come to expect then I wish he would have stayed in the indies. Those bumps were Ziggler bad. I'm not a fan of that stuff.

but they are friends...

Well I don't watch Breaking Ground, but I never thought of Carmella as the type to be hugging people. She seemed more like Sasha Banks than friendly goody good. I mean Sasha and Bayley are friends in real life, but in the ring or story, they damn sure did not act like it until the match was over. I don't know. Maybe it is because her character has been flipped a few times since her debut, but it was just seemed random that she is buddy buddy with Bayley of all people.

The Gable/Jordan promo to set up the team name was great. Gable saying "I thought of it but forgot" is such a great "dorky grade school kid trying to fit in with the cool older kids" line. I also love "so sick" as one of his phrases. I'm all in on American Alpha.

I think the next call up to the Main roster will be American Alpha. They already worked the India tour with the main roster and are heads above any other team in NXT. Charisma and wrestling-skills.

Regarding Carmella: her offense looked really good and she has some really weird charisma, I look forward to her match with Bayley.

Adam Rose looked awful, his offense sucked and Sami Zayn looked like a total loser against him, even the crowd didn't care at all.

Apollo Crews has to turn heel ASAP, he has NO CHARACTER at all, just awful. He should learn a thing or two from Rich Swann, who instantly was over as hell and just has IT!

A. Dana's rate of improvement was incredible and to have her just give up on the wrestling to be a manager is dumb.

B. Jordan and Gable do NOT need to be called up already. Let them cook. They just started clicking around October. They both need at least another full year or more in NXT before they should get called. Besides the main roster lottery being very hit and miss, they're still both very early into their careers. Let them keep learning and getting as good as they can possibly get instead "Well they're really good now, throw them to the wolves and hope for the best". 

Dana really does need MVP nods for this episode, if she never wrestles again (I hope not) she'll have a great carrier as a manager.

What's the story here?

She's just out recovering from an injury.

What I meant was that she has fantastic charisma as backup even if she couldn't wrestle because of whatever reasons.

Dana has grown on me as a character. She was starting to improve in the ring but as the shit-talking manager, I'm really starting to dig her.

This was a solid show, Both Joe and Corbin came out looking like monsters which is exactly how they should look going into next weeks 3-way.

Count me among the growing crowd that has zero interest in Apollo Crews. He's athletic....and....? My 11 year old thinks he's great.

American Alphas? Yup! A screwy name? Sure BUT they are "bro-y" enough to make it work.

I really liked the ladies tag match.  I think NXT is doing a good job rebuilding the ladies division. There is a lot of talent there that just needs to be molded and Bayley is good enough to do a carry job here and give the rub there to the upcoming talent that needs it the most.

It's amazing how Jordan has spent so much time toiling in NXT before teaming with Gable.  Now they're easily one of the top acts there (still giddy over the chants they got in London)  And I'm all for Bayley/Carmella, to hell with Breaking Ground.  They've long established their friendship so even if you didn't see the show it's still a pretty organic matchup.  I'm curious where they go with it because no way in hell Bayley is turning.  Yet Carmella is part of Enzo/Cass and they're super popular (well, them more than her anyway)  It would just seem weird for her to turn on Bayley at this point, guess we'll know after tonight how they go with it.

I like Swann, especially since he's from Baltimore.  From what I saw in the indies he had a pretty well-rounded style, especially compared to earlier times where it was all flips and movez.  And I'm sucker for the "All night long!" chant so bonus points for that.  Aside from that he did show something in the squash but I just sense he has better matches in him.  And as much as I like Apollo (not a fan of his match), I think Swann will go farther if given the chance.  Gargano/Joe would have been a helluva match in the indies, but I'm absolutely fine with how they did it here.  All three contenders looked good going into their upcoming match.  Yes, even Sami who I've read isn't on par yet with how he was.  Considering he came back recently I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.  I'm just hoping he can deliver in the triple threat match.  As for the match against Rose, that was a weird layout to begin with.  I know Rose is kinda doing something now, but certainly doesn't warrant him getting that much offense over a former NXT champion.

It's amazing how Jordan has spent so much time toiling in NXT before teaming with Gable.  Now they're easily one of the top acts there (still giddy over the chants they got in London)  And I'm all for Bayley/Carmella, to hell with Breaking Ground.  They've long established their friendship so even if you didn't see the show it's still a pretty organic matchup.  I'm curious where they go with it because no way in hell Bayley is turning.  Yet Carmella is part of Enzo/Cass and they're super popular (well, them more than her anyway)  It would just seem weird for her to turn on Bayley at this point, guess we'll know after tonight how they go with it.

With a Carmella heel turn, though, it'd be hard to believe for Enzo/Cass, if not for the fact that Liv Morgan's ultra-Jersey stuff has made it clear that NXT has a replacement ready to go in the event Carmella does turn heel on Bayley. Put that in, and her turn would be more believable than it would have been otherwise.

Hmm...good point there.  While it wouldn't matter, would it make storyline sense to swap out a New Yorker with a Jersey girl?  And is Liv even ready for that type of role?  She hasn't done much to prove what she can do, and that promo she did didn't light the world on fire.  If all that check out then by all means turn Carmella.  I also think they can do this turn later on as I feel it's still too early yet.  Aside from BG I'd give a little more time to build up to the turn.

Swann's bumps were ludicrous. And not in a "I'm a bump freak and am willing to possibly endure a lifetime of pain for your pleasure" way. He did some 450 thing off of a move. It felt more like "LOOK AT THIS BUMP!!!" than making Corbin look like an absolute beast. BTW, Corbin has gotten really friggin' good since his heel turn. A total joy to watch.

I will never like Johnny Gargano. That promo he did to set up the match was really bad and hit all the checks off the "Bad Indie Promo 101" list: Weird breathing and pauses; talking about yourself in the third person; staring off into an unknown distance and not addressing the viewers at home. His logo is dumb and makes no sense. I was fine with the parts of the match where Joe was slapping the shit out of him, though. I got to live vicariously through Joe for a few minutes.

• Like 1

They're not turning Carmella, guys, come on. Its just a mini-program to fill time before Bayley starts whatever she's doing in Dallas, and it also gives her the rare opportunity to work from the top, which is another part of her development.

• Like 2