DVDVR Message Board

MILEY CYRUS THREAD OF DOOM

jaedmc

I would love to hear about the whole black culture thing, specifically from our black users,

Her butt is nowhere round enough for any self respecting dude I know to find her attractive.

That, and she is fucking crazy.

Didn't she do an ep of Hannah Montana where she tried the bad girl image out and faced huge backlash and condemnation from her true supporters?  Did she not learn anything from her own goddamned television show?

The winner here is Selena Gomez who gets edgy in increments and is actually a pretty cute kid.  Miley's smile takes up half of her face and her head is too big for her neck.  Everytime she grins and sticks her toungue out, I think she is about to dispense a huge piece of Pez candy.

One our our esteemed board members said that Devon Aoki looked like a Grey with Down's Syndrome.  I think that also applies here.

• Like 3

I am fond of skinny, crazy white women.  That's really my only opinion on this, but I did actually watch that performance on youtube which I guess is the whole point.  Trying to hard? Maybe.  Off the rails? Nah.  Did everyone see it?  Yep.

• Like 1

I want to throw my name in the "I am fond of skinny, crazy white women" hat.

I think that what annoys me the most is most women going "She's disgusting" and the whole Taylor Swift acting super catty just puts it over the top. Women on women hate is awful.

• Like 2

Yeah, the Taylor Swift heel turn and fatherhood has turned Kanye into a face.  Kanye's attempt to get heel heet before Yeesus came out went over like a fart in church just like Austin's attempted heel turn.

Who saw that coming?

• Like 1

It's a bit awkward listening to the ten year old daughter of my best friend singing along to a song about Ecstasy and Cocaine.

Yeah the continued glorification of drug culture is what really annoys the fuck out of me. Well that and anyone referring to what she's participating in as "Hip-Hop". But then I am completely and unapologetically the guy who thinks Hip-Hop died after 1999, now excuse me while I go listen to some Brand Nubian and Pete Rock & CL Smooth records.

This is pretty awesome though:

I want to throw my hat into the I'm fond of crazy women of all races, colors, and creeds. The issue is that I don't think she is crazy, I don't find her attractive, and something about her trying to be sexy always comes off as strange and off putting.  History is littered with young pop stars who have pushed the limits with sexuality, but something I can't put my finger on just makes her attempts seem wrong.  The thing that is interesting about this is that I haven't seen a single person argue that her performance was anything but derivitive.  Does anyone consider anything she has ever done art? 

Hip Hop is alive and well.  You are either old, out of touch, or old and out of touch.  Just because you don't listen to good hip hop doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Hip Hop is alive and well.  You are either old, out of touch, or old and out of touch.  Just because you don't listen to good hip hop doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Well, old and out of touch covers me, so that explains it.

• Like 1

The lyrics are there but the bass doesn't bang like it used to.  Kanye rolling with Daft Punk was the step in the right direction.  Electronica never lost its boom and that's where the future big beats will come from.

I support the Jay-Z / Crystal Method project but only if Pharrell produces it.

Yikes.  Continue to boil down an entire range of artists and music to a couple guys you don't like.  That doesn't make you old and out of touch, it's just narrow-minded.

This whole thread has "pitbull potential"  written all over it.  You best believe I will contribute to the bitter end.

People think that Rick Ross beats are bad?  There are issues with whether or not you like him as a rapper, but who in the history of hip-hop has a better ear for beats than him?  If you want to discuss how digital recording has watered down drum sounds, which takes some of the boom bap out of it, but those beats knock.

Can we discuss something else that I noticed from the VMAs, which bothers me more as a black person than Miley Cyrus?  Where are all the black people?  Drake and Kanye were there, but black people are still making popular music right?  Are there any marginal black stars any more?  There is Jay-Z, Kanye, Beyonce, Drake, Rhianna...that is it right?  The crazy thing is that there are plenty of people making black music on TV, but how many of them are actually black.  Justin Timberlake, Robin Thicke, Macklamore, are all over the show, but if they aren't at the absolute pinnacle of fame, black folks don't even get mentioned any more. 

• Like 1

Can we discuss something else that I noticed from the VMAs, which bothers me more as a black person than Miley Cyrus?  Where are all the black people?  Drake and Kanye were there, but black people are still making popular music right?  Are there any marginal black stars any more?  There is Jay-Z, Kanye, Beyonce, Drake, Rhianna...that is it right?  The crazy thing is that there are plenty of people making black music on TV, but how many of them are actually black.  Justin Timberlake, Robin Thicke, Macklamore, are all over the show, but if they aren't at the absolute pinnacle of fame, black folks don't even get mentioned any more. 

We have our own networks that actually play music.  We don't need MTV anymore.

VMA's aren't the litmus test anyway.  We'll see who's left standing when the Grammys roll around and even they don't matter as much to me as the BET Music Awards or the Soul Train Music Awards.

People think that Rick Ross beats are bad?  There are issues with whether or not you like him as a rapper, but who in the history of hip-hop has a better ear for beats than him?

Dr. Dre, DJ Shadow, Kid Capri, DJ Krush (a friggin' Japanese dude) and Jam Master Jay for starters. I am not sure there is room in this thread for the list of guys with a better ear for beats than Rick Ross. 

If you edit that to "recent history," then no, there aren't too many guys around today with a better ear for beats than Rick.

People think that Rick Ross beats are bad?  There are issues with whether or not you like him as a rapper, but who in the history of hip-hop has a better ear for beats than him?

Dr. Dre, DJ Shadow, Kid Capri, and Jam Master Jay for starters. I am not sure there is room in this thread for the list of guys with a better ear for beats than Rick Ross.

If you edit that to "recent history," then no, there aren't too many guys around today with a better ear for beats than Rick.

You just named 4 DJs which is fine, but is a whole different conversation.  I didn't mean DJs/Producers, I meant rappers who select better beats to rap over than Rick Ross.  It is clearly his number one skill.  There is not a single person alive who would listen to those first couple of Rick Ross albums if it wasn't for the stellar production.  He probably isn't #1, but he has an elite ear for beats.  If you look at the history of hip-hop there are plenty ofguys who were elite talents rapping, but were absolutely horrible at selecting beats. It is probably the most underrated skill in the genre.