DVDVR Message Board

MILEY CYRUS THREAD OF DOOM

jaedmc

Someone get a picture of Miley Cyrus with her giant mouthed grin and put Joker makeup on her.

We are way too busy arguing about hip hop to... wait a sec...

Unless you can make Rick Ross the Penguin...in that case hurry up

The thing that is interesting about this is that I haven't seen a single person argue that her performance was anything but derivitive.  Does anyone consider anything she has ever done art? 

Art? In the VMAs? Fucking really?

I understand this isn't the place to look for art, but there are talented artists that have their poppy derivitive songs as well as their artsy album cuts.  Is there anything that she has ever done that can be considered art?  Anything at all?  Her performance is a bunch of shit that "artists" have done in the past, just thrown against the wall.  Madonna started with the controversial hypersexual schtick and has been around for 30 years.  Whether or not you like her or not, people generally have some respect for her artistry.  Is there a single person who thinks that anything that Miley Cyrus has ever done is anything but her going for shock value?  I may be too damn old to understand what is going on with her, but everything she does just seems so inauthentic.

It's art. All of it.

You may not like it but she's communicating ideas through images, sounds and words. Art doesn't have to be original to be art, nor does the person beholding it have to consider it valuable.

• Like 1

Can we discuss something else that I noticed from the VMAs, which bothers me more as a black person than Miley Cyrus?  Where are all the black people?  Drake and Kanye were there, but black people are still making popular music right?  Are there any marginal black stars any more?  There is Jay-Z, Kanye, Beyonce, Drake, Rhianna...that is it right?  The crazy thing is that there are plenty of people making black music on TV, but how many of them are actually black.  Justin Timberlake, Robin Thicke, Macklamore, are all over the show, but if they aren't at the absolute pinnacle of fame, black folks don't even get mentioned any more. 

The VMAs simply aren't about "popular" music, they're about "mainstream" music and right now "popular" and "mainstream" are on two pretty different wavelengths. Kendrick Lamar was on the VMAs and I would say he's popular but at the same time I'm sure lots and lots of people watching the VMAs had no clue who he was. 

I think we're at the point where Google/YouTube/Vevo/Whatever probably should try introducing their own award show. Maybe Fuse can go in with them on it since all they have at the moment is re-airing the MuchMusic award show. They can try to find a balance between the VMAs and the mtvU Woodie Awards.

• Like 1

It's art. All of it.You may not like it but she's communicating ideas through images, sounds and words. Art doesn't have to be original to be art, nor does the person beholding it have to consider it valuable.

We had it drumned into our heads in grad school that populsr culture is high art, low art and everything in betweenOpera? Popular CultureComics? DittoNeanderthal cave paintings? Ditto

It's art. All of it.You may not like it but she's communicating ideas through images, sounds and words. Art doesn't have to be original to be art, nor does the person beholding it have to consider it valuable.

We had it drumned into our heads in grad school that populsr culture is high art, low art and everything in betweenOpera? Popular CultureComics? DittoNeanderthal cave paintings? Ditto

Yeah, but still...Does anyone respect her as an artist?

Actually thanks for that, I've been a stickler for shit like that my whole life. 

I'm not entirely sure she's an artist, though. Whoever created her, her image, her songs, that's the artist, and I think they're genius. As far as I can tell she's just one of the crayons in the box.

She's an average pop star, but she's not very good at not acting like a complete doofus during every live performance.

As I've said, she reminds me of a nerdy kid who tries to be cool, but totally can't pull it off.  Hank Venture-esque, even.

I may have to re-evaluate this. She's worth even more than I thought. I figured she was worth like 40 million or so. It turns out she's worth 150 million. Um, I'm going to go lie down for awhile until my brain explodes.

I may have to re-evaluate this. She's worth even more than I thought. I figured she was worth like 40 million or so. It turns out she's worth 150 million. Um, I'm going to go lie down for awhile until my brain explodes.

Have you tried twerking instead? It might be more lucrative for you.

I have no idea what twerking even is.  I'm old, apparently.  I could google "twerking", but.... somehow, i suspect I'm no worse off remaining ignorant.

On the plus side, Kyle Baker got a mention in this thread.  I bet it's been 15 years or so since I've heard his name.  Big fan of some of comic book work way back when (around the time Why I Hate Saturn was published).

Can we discuss something else that I noticed from the VMAs, which bothers me more as a black person than Miley Cyrus?  Where are all the black people?  Drake and Kanye were there, but black people are still making popular music right?  Are there any marginal black stars any more?  There is Jay-Z, Kanye, Beyonce, Drake, Rhianna...that is it right?  The crazy thing is that there are plenty of people making black music on TV, but how many of them are actually black.  Justin Timberlake, Robin Thicke, Macklamore, are all over the show, but if they aren't at the absolute pinnacle of fame, black folks don't even get mentioned any more. 

Yes, but you just rattled off three of the biggest names in music right now (Jay-Z, Kanye, Beyonce). Rihanna is right there with them on the superstar scale, and Justin Timberlake is the sole white person in their league.

Pharrell had a segment. Drake got a song, and was apparently the only one who was allowed to perform an upbeat one other than JT. David Otunga's wife got a surprise cameo spot. There was that guy who pushed an album after Jason Collins' speech. Kendrick Lamar was nominated, cameo'd and got mentioned multiple times. 2Chainz was there. 'Bandz A Make Her Dance' was played going into a commercial break. They played 'Pop That' going into the first break, which has Drake, Lil Wayne and Rick Ross on it. Kevin Hart delivered awful monologues two times. The biggest movie star at one time (if he still isn't considered as such), Will Smith, was shown every other minute.

That's just what I could think of off the top of my head (I remembered Lil Kim - I just wish that I didn't). Black people were errrywhere on that show.

Honestly, for me, the worst part of Miley's performance was her godawful hairdo.  The rest?  Just a teenager (even if she's 20) trying too hard and coming up with a mess that, in the realm of MTV stuff, isn't even all that "shocking".  Really, though, Britney did the "rip off clothes to reveal nude colored outfit" a whole lot better years ago.

As for where all the black people are on MTV, read the books on the history of MTV.  Except for a short stretch where "Yo!  MTV Raps!" was popular, MTV has pretty much disliked black artists not named Michael Jackson.

I found it interesting to see that Lady Gaga, who stripped down to almost nothing and then stayed that way in the audience for the rest of the show didn't take any of the "whore" or "slut" heat that Miley did.  Is it because she's a little older, or because people expect her to be shocking and outrageous? 

I found the performance to be more awkward than sexy, but I think it accomplished what she wanted it to.  My sixty year old mother who couldn't pick Robin Thicke or Justin Timberlake or Katy Perry out of a lineup called me the next day to say "Did you see what that Hannah Montana girl did?"

Someone on Grantland said it best. What Miley is doing is the equivalent of someone driving through a rough neighborhood and taking pictures to post on instagram to show how DANGEROUS and cool they are. She's surrounding herself with African-American women like "look how crazy and funny this is"

It's a mockery of things she doesn't understand.

I really thought I would feel outraged at all this, and there are valid critiques about what she sees as "marginal" or "edgy" and how that reinforces problematic imaes of other people.

But, I think back to how incredibly stupid I was at 19 or 20.  And the ass-dumb shit I used to say and do thinking I was going to show everyone how much more real I was than them. If someone was dumb enough in 1990 to put me on stage in front of a huge national audience of maintstream consumers...Lord knows what idiotic thing I would have come up with to try and piss everyone off and "blow their little minds, dude".

I mean, shit, fucking around in this or that shitty band at that age I used to actually say this, like watching something on MTV we would be all..."Man, fuck these posers, if they ever put us on that stage we'd fucking blow their minds...hey who fucking finished the cheetos? goddamit!"

I just can't get mad at her for being just as stupid as I was at her age and for bizarrely finding herself in the position of being allowed to do something just as stupid as I would have done.  Maybe I can get mad at the actual adults who program this event every year with an eye toward titilating junior high schoolers and shocking old ladies.  They could probably do better with their effort and time.

• Like 1

Someone on Grantland said it best. What Miley is doing is the equivalent of someone driving through a rough neighborhood and taking pictures to post on instagram to show how DANGEROUS and cool they are. She's surrounding herself with African-American women like "look how crazy and funny this is"

It's a mockery of things she doesn't understand.

So, if I understand correctly, you're saying she's asking to get raped.