DVDVR Message Board

2016 TNA General Thread

I'm trying to put my 'TNA' hat on for a moment and I can't come up with a logical reason for releasing a statement like that. Its bush league X 1000. TNA just doesn't come off looking good at all. Its the worse PR possible EVEN IF IT IS TRUE. Again, TNA had Joe, Aries, Styles, and Doc Gallows and pissed them all off and didn't want to renew contracts. TNA wanted to be cute for years and not build its own brand. Well all the guys TNA didn't want anymore are now in WWE and TNA is getting all pissy because it wanted to waste the Hogan years focusing around 90's wrestlers and do an ECW show? The chickens have come home to fucking roster and TNA needs to stop embarrassing itself. Sometimes taking an 'L' is the best thing to do in a situation like that. Chris Hero, Brian Cage, Trent?, and others could still potentially come in if offered a COMPETITIVE CONTRACT (that still allows them to work non-televised indie dates, etc.). TNA could still try and work out some type of partnership with PROGRESS. There are still other options to come off as relevant, competitive, and professional rather than making a long childish post that can be summed up with "Na-Uh! We had them first! Give them back!".

First, their website redesign really is bad.  It's amazing that these are people that live and die by what the internet says but it looks like it was designed by someone that's never seen the internet before.

There's a handful of reasons TNA released that statement.  None of them particularly good.

1.  It's TNA.

2.  Misguided attempt to siphon attention off of Styles' impending WWE debut.

3.  Impotent attempt at looking competitive by putting it out there that they thought they had Styles and co. signed.

4.  Pathetic attempt at making Styles and co. look bad for not sticking with their letters of intent.

5.  See 1.

It's not necessarily illegal to make the negotiations public.  Just unprofessional and it further depletes the amount of goodwill they've somehow got left with both the wrestlers and fans.

A letter of intent isn't necessarily a binding contract.  Especially in an independent contractor situation.  So TNA obviously has no breach claim against them.  Conversely, the other side has no libel claim because there's no damages unless WWE pulls their offer because of this.  Anderson and Gallows' reputation doesn't count cause have you heard their podcast?

Anderson negotiating with TNA isn't contract tampering.  Neither is signing a LOI.  It's a contractor lining up future work after their current gig is up.  People are so quick to jump up TNA's butt that they don't realize WWE has done the same thing with both him and Nakamura.

Johnny Ace deservedly gets shit about signing the wrong one-legged guy but at least he eventually got the right one-legged guy signed.  Big has failed to re-sign the face of the company twice now.  And the first time all he had to do was offer him the same amount of money that he was already making.  The second time he started moving forward creatively without actually having him signed.  And trying to do a deal with three guys at the same time seems really dumb too.  It's called 'divide and conquer' for a reason.

Also, he let James Storm go when Storm asked for his release only to re-sign him for more money just so they could have a surprise for the Pop TV debut.  Storm had no real negotiating leverage because his in at WWE was Billy Gunn who got released shortly after he arrived.

But hey, at least he locked up Bram through 2006.

• Like 2

I'm trying to put my 'TNA' hat on for a moment and I can't come up with a logical reason for releasing a statement like that. Its bush league X 1000. TNA just doesn't come off looking good at all. Its the worse PR possible EVEN IF IT IS TRUE. Again, TNA had Joe, Aries, Styles, and Doc Gallows and pissed them all off and didn't want to renew contracts. TNA wanted to be cute for years and not build its own brand. Well all the guys TNA didn't want anymore are now in WWE and TNA is getting all pissy because it wanted to waste the Hogan years focusing around 90's wrestlers and do an ECW show? The chickens have come home to fucking roster and TNA needs to stop embarrassing itself. Sometimes taking an 'L' is the best thing to do in a situation like that. Chris Hero, Brian Cage, Trent?, and others could still potentially come in if offered a COMPETITIVE CONTRACT (that still allows them to work non-televised indie dates, etc.). TNA could still try and work out some type of partnership with PROGRESS. There are still other options to come off as relevant, competitive, and professional rather than making a long childish post that can be summed up with "Na-Uh! We had them first! Give them back!".

I agree with almost everything in this post, but please leave PROGRESS out of this.

Wolves re-sign with TNA

TNA announced today that tag team champions Eddie Edwards & Davey Richards have signed new deals with the promotion.

Each man's contract was set to expire on 4/30.

Edwards & Richards were two of the wrestlers referred to in recent Observer stories with names not listed of TNA talent that WWE was pursuing, but that TNA was offering more than WWE.

Their new deals will allow them to continue to work independent shows, however because they are getting guaranteed contracts, promotions will have to go through TNA to book them as opposed to directly going through them as in the past.

Wolves re-sign with TNA

TNA announced today that tag team champions Eddie Edwards & Davey Richards have signed new deals with the promotion.

Each man's contract was set to expire on 4/30.

Edwards & Richards were two of the wrestlers referred to in recent Observer stories with names not listed of TNA talent that WWE was pursuing, but that TNA was offering more than WWE.

Their new deals will allow them to continue to work independent shows, however because they are getting guaranteed contracts, promotions will have to go through TNA to book them as opposed to directly going through them as in the past.

I wonder about that, after WWE was quick to dump them/not further pursue them after their botched debut in NXT.  Unless WWE was looking to hire Richards as an EMT.

I blame their debut on the awfulness of The Ascension.

Didn't they reportedly refuse to go home when Triple H told them too, and just kept getting their shit in?

That's the story, and the match was up somewhere for a while, but I haven't been able to find it

Yeah, I wasn't digging through 26 pages of Ascension matches to find *that* one though.  

And I think you can see where people think they blew through the "Go Home" sign, but since Viktor played along, I'm not sure how true that is.

NXT already had a bland, interchangeable white tag team that was tall enough to ride roller coasters with Blake and Murphy. The Wolves would have added nothing to NXT. I'm genuinely surprised they got a look at all considering how tiny they are and their terrible habits that you probably couldn't literally beat out of them at this point.

TNA going from not interested to immediately signing them and making them a focal point of the company after two appearances on NXT is about the most TNA thing possible, though.

• Like 1

I don't think the Wolves match is on the Network, because the earliest NXT episodes on there are from like Feb 2014, and the Wolves were already in TNA by then. It's available somewhere on the internet though... it's a bit rubbish and not because the Ascension are dragging it down or owt, it's just the Wolves want to get their shit in, even though their shit is a load of crap*. Davey's WWE name is Derek Billington, because he thinks he's worthy of it. Eddie's is something like Terry Cahill, because he's probably a Chelsea fan or something. And they did the stupid Wolf howl, even though their name was the American Pitbulls so they should have been growling or barking or something.

* Every time you see a coming up next on Impact, the Wolves vs... you think this might be the match where the opponent says "Lads, we're taking 80% of this, so you're just selling and doing hope spots tonight" which would probably be the only thing that would make them watchable. But no, everyone has to do The Wolves match the way the Wolves want to do it. They're as bad as RVD for infecting otherwise capable Wrestlers with their useless stupid ring style and dragging them down into a whirling worthless vortex of awfulness. 

• Like 1

TNA going from not interested to immediately signing them and making them a fecal point of the company after two appearances on NXT is about the most TNA thing possible, though.

Fixed.

I don't think the Wolves match is on the Network, because the earliest NXT episodes on there are from like Feb 2014, and the Wolves were already in TNA by then. It's available somewhere on the internet though... it's a bit rubbish and not because the Ascension are dragging it down or owt, it's just the Wolves want to get their shit in, even though their shit is a load of crap*. Davey's WWE name is Derek Billington, because he thinks he's worthy of it. Eddie's is something like Terry Cahill, because he's probably a Chelsea fan or something. And they did the stupid Wolf howl, even though their name was the American Pitbulls so they should have been growling or barking or something.

* Every time you see a coming up next on Impact, the Wolves vs... you think this might be the match where the opponent says "Lads, we're taking 80% of this, so you're just selling and doing hope spots tonight" which would probably be the only thing that would make them watchable. But no, everyone has to do The Wolves match the way the Wolves want to do it. They're as bad as RVD for infecting otherwise capable Wrestlers with their useless stupid ring style and dragging them down into a whirling worthless vortex of awfulness. 

They're basically the worst of post-2005 Kurt Angle, anytime RVD, and 2002 ROH combined into one tiny package of shit. Davey Richards is like...the textbook example of indie shithead. Neck and neck with AR Fox.

• Like 2

PWInsider reporting that Awesome Kong has been sent home from the UK tour for getting into it with Reby backstage

According to multiple sources, Kong took issue with Sky attempting to dress in the women's locker room and threw Sky's bag out of the room. Sky had not dressed in the women's locker room at the Bethlehem, PA tapings as we are are told she dressed separately at those tapings. The UK tour was the first time Sky dressed in the women's locker room.

The back story here appears to come from, of all things, social media and shoot interviews. In 2013, Kong made reference to Sky on a "Youshoot" DVD where she knocked Sky during a segment called "The Ho Bag." Kong's statements were apparently a receipt for Sky, earlier that year, going on Twitter in reference to Sid Vicious no showing an independent date, which Sky spoke out about. Sky would shoot then back online in a public Q&A forum when asked about Kong knocking her, writing, "Not aware of this, if it is true. Doesn’t make much sense, as I don’t know her on a really personal level & we have been nothing but nice to each other in passing at shows. We’ve actually texted back & forth a few times, so if she now has a problem with me, I can only attribute it to one thing/person. Fake as f**k to be nice to my face & talk s**t to a camera if its true, but no shocker there. That’s 99% of the women in this business anyway. Next."

So, while the entire back and forth happened years ago and was likely forgotten by everyone except the principals, it appears to have been the root cause of what sent Kong off and might explain what she was demanding an apology for.

We are told Sky left the room (likely to speak to someone in TNA management) and when she returned to retrieve her things, Kong went after her for "not apologizing."

There are two versions making the rounds as to what happened next. One is that Kong tried to go after Sky but was stopped. The second version, which we've heard from FAR more people, is that Kong throttled Sky around the neck and assaulted her, before security and TNA Producer Pat Kenney restrained Kong.