DVDVR Message Board

2016 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Kirk Cousins is franchised by the Red Potatoes.

The Slurs are going to wake up with a serious hangover tomorrow, and then realize that they've agreed to give Kirk Cousins almost $20 million.

Yeah I think the smarter move was to transition tag him but the worry there is that some crazy desperate team like the Browns or Texans would offer the $20 - $22 million and the Skins would have been stuck big time     

I'll take Mario Williams in Oakland with some of that sweet, sweet, cap-space.

You must not have watched many Bills games last year, then. Either Mario didn't give a shit, or he's washed up, or both. I saw a story that mario said he was willing to take a pay cut to stay. Maybe if had that attitude months ago he might not have been cut. The Bills will draft someone younger and better anyway now. . . 

Kirk Cousins is franchised by the Red Potatoes.

The Slurs are going to wake up with a serious hangover tomorrow, and then realize that they've agreed to give Kirk Cousins almost $20 million.

Yeah I think the smarter move was to transition tag him but the worry there is that some crazy desperate team like the Browns or Texans would offer the $20 - $22 million and the Skins would have been stuck big time     

They still could, as he's non-exclusive. Are the Texans crazy enough to sign him to say 22 million a year and give up two first rounders? I doubt it, but its possible. Who the hell knows what Cleveland is crazy enough to do. . . 

You must not have watched many Bills games last year, then. Either Mario didn't give a shit, or he's washed up, or both. I saw a story that mario said he was willing to take a pay cut to stay. Maybe if had that attitude months ago he might not have been cut. The Bills will draft someone younger and better anyway now. . . 

He could not care all season and still rack up double digit sacks playing in Oakland because, between Khalil Mack and, once he returns, Aldon Smith, Williams would be the third most 'threatening' player in their pass rush.

He could not care all season and still rack up double digit sacks playing in Oakland because, between Khalil Mack and, once he returns, Aldon Smith, Williams would be the third most 'threatening' player in their pass rush.

Fair enough, especially if you get him for the right price.  . . . 

Sam Bradford has agreed to torture Eagles fans for the next 2 years.

My best friend is from Philly. Good stuff.

Sam Bradford is going to make over $100 million over his career.  Can anyone name one Sam Bradford NFL highlight?  Just name one play that made you think, Sam Bradford has a future in this league.  I can be a terrible quarterback, why won't someone give me that much money?

• Like 1

Sam Bradford is going to make over $100 million over his career.  Can anyone name one Sam Bradford NFL highlight?  Just name one play that made you think, Sam Bradford has a future in this league.  I can be a terrible quarterback, why won't someone give me that much money?

Can I pick plays from Oklahoma?

Can I pick plays from Oklahoma?

Nope

Watching as Cousins is exposed and the fairweather DC and DC suburbs fans turn on him is going to be glorious.  Seriously, the team limped into the playoffs one game over 500, on top of a terrible division and only beating losing teams.  The problem is that any degree of success to this fanbase is like giving a drop of water to a man in the desert.  There is nothing about last season that tells me the Cousins era won't be an abject failure.

There's a car in my building's parking lot with an RG3 license plate.  That poor bastard.

• Like 1

Watching as Cousins is exposed and the fairweather DC and DC suburbs fans turn on him is going to be glorious.  Seriously, the team limped into the playoffs one game over 500, on top of a terrible division and only beating losing teams.  The problem is that any degree of success to this fanbase is like giving a drop of water to a man in the desert.  There is nothing about last season that tells me the Cousins era won't be an abject failure.

There's a car in my building's parking lot with an RG3 license plate.  That poor bastard.

I'd call these local fans a lot of things, fairweather aren't one of them.  These crazy people always believe that group of losers is going to the Super Bowl.  I'm a Browns fan, we have a full understanding that our team is going to rip our hearts out at every turn.  Every single year these assholes are talking about Super Bowl aspirations.

Donte Stallworth's tweet after the Bradford and Cousins news.

• Like 1

Bradford's always had a nice throwing motion but I have yet to see him develop the ability to read a NFL defense the way you would have hoped for considering his draft status.

Anyway he might make as many millions as TD passes, good for him, move to Barbados, etc.

I'd call these local fans a lot of things, fairweather aren't one of them.  These crazy people always believe that group of losers is going to the Super Bowl.  I'm a Browns fan, we have a full understanding that our team is going to rip our hearts out at every turn.  Every single year these assholes are talking about Super Bowl aspirations.

I meant fairweather fans of a given player, not the team, but I should have said it better.  DC fans eagerly fellate every new messiah Snyder sells them, then turn their backs when things start going south.  Rinse, repeat.

I find it weird how everyone is convinced about Cousins one way or another, whether they believe those ten games were a fluke or a genuine breakout season, it's like everyone is just 100% sure of which it was.

Eh, I think most rational Skins fans have no idea what Cousins will turn out to be, which is really why the one year franchise option is probably the best.  It's just that a lot of people get deluded because of how horrible the local sports scene is and how whenever there seems to be a team on the rise they either choke in the playoffs and/or go back to being mediocre in the next season.

I find it weird how everyone is convinced about Cousins one way or another, whether they believe those ten games were a fluke or a genuine breakout season, it's like everyone is just 100% sure of which it was.

Are you new to sports fandom?

• Like 2

He's a total question mark which is why the franchise tag is the best decision. Worst case/best case for slurs is he plays lights out this year and now they have to open the checkbook. I doubt he has a statistically better season than last because I doubt their level of competition will be as low.

You are right about Williams probably being third best of that bunch, the issue is will Williams take 'third best' money. I think tons of teams will want him (rightfully so) if he will accept an above average but not top 10 (top 5?) salary like he probably still wants. It will be interesting to see the market for him, the start of free agency is always a fun time to see if players are worth what they think they are.

Cousins has already signed his franchise tag

I would have signed it before they offered it.  This is probably the most money he'll ever make, and if he balls out this season he'll be able to name his price.  Being franchised is a win-win situation for Cousins.  Apparently at the combine Jason Reid from the Washington Post had a conversation with someone from the team that went something like this. 

Reid:  Are you going to sign Cousins to a long term deal.

Team rep:  He's only played 9 good games.

Reid:  So, why not let him walk?

Team rep:  Stunned silence.