DVDVR Message Board

The Fast and Furious franchise thread

LethalStriker

Things I wrote in my "dream journal" after watching the movie:

-If I commit international terrorism, I just need to hold up a baby to save myself from torture and imprisonment. 

-I don't know all the details to the Rock Vs. Vin Diesel beef but this movie convinced me it. The whole plot feels  crafted to keep them away from each other. They share very little screen time together and there is no makeup scene after Dom screws over Hobbs. The last scene alone is edited and cut up enough to let you know something fishy is going on. Family though.

- The Rock and Jason have chemistry. Not against them doing their own movie together independent from this franchise.

• Like 1

The scene with Helen Mirren and the Stathe was like the best episode of Eastenders ever. 

So, safe to say that when they tot up all the box office and work out which actor('s movies) grossed to most, 2017 is going to be Vin Diesel's year, yeah? He's still got Guardians 2 on top of F&F8's biggest international opening ever and however much XXX3 made.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, J.T. said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

This movie was gigantic dumb fun and the closest we poor Americans will come to a kick ass spy epic like a Bond franchise.

Huge plot and logic gaps but who really cares?  Professional thief reforms and joins the Car & Driver version of SHIELD / UNCLE?  Fuck it. 

I was totally stoked when Helen Mirren showed up as Lady Shaw, 

I love the way this franchise has a knack for turning previous bad guys into good guys.  I cannot say that "the new additions to the team are The Shaw Brothers," without cracking a wry smile.  ANDY THEY FUCKING HAD JET PACKS~!

The easy assumption is that Little Nobody is Brian V.2 and with Cypher's escape there will be another one of these which I will be more than happy to watch. 

I also assume that the bad blood between Vin and The Rock means that Hobbes's choice to become a soccer dad means that The Rock is calling it quits.  At least Vin didn't have Hobbes clipped at the submarine base.

Now if only Roman / Tyrese would die in a hail of bullets, that would be super.  Tyrese must've had that scene where he kills the Russians riding snowmobiles written in so that Roman wouldn't completely look like the comedy relief dumbass of the team.

Cypher's Super-AWAC is the most badass villain hideout that there as ever been.  Only the Hall of Doom appearing in a future JL movie (if the DCU survives that long) will surpass it in demonic beauty.

What I learned from this movie.  Everyone in Havana drives a souped up 1958 Ford 300.

I wouldn't call it bad.  This movie was like MASK too.  At the same time, it's getting dumb that they are turning all the villains into heroes.  If Cipher turns into a hero at some point, that will be the well and true moment where this franchise jumps the shark.  Realistically, I'm not sure how much longer they can keep the series going.  

Honestly, the Shaw Brothers turning good and being accepted when they're responsible for 2 of the family's deaths and ran around with a brainwashed Letty is hitting jump the shark territory.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Honestly, the Shaw Brothers turning good and being accepted when they're responsible for 2 of the family's deaths and ran around with a brainwashed Letty is hitting jump the shark territory.

I checked my brain at the door, dude.  I blamed Cypher's evil influence like the plot told me to.

It is a good thing to forgive your fellow man of his transgressions no matter what they are.

Public service announcement: this movie is part of a franchise that started out as a not particularly good knock off of Point Break, with street racers who boosted DVD players off semi-trucks. 

I've softened on the first film from originally hating it, but Christ Almighty is it hard to see how they got from point A to point "James Bond villain stealing nukes"

Rock, Statham and HELEN FUCKING MIRREN certainly improve things.

Now I'm trying to go through the whole series, and, amazing title aside, 2 Fast 2 Furious is more than a bit rough. Nobody would've every believed this franchise would eventually break the all-time worldwide box office opening weekend record based on these two.

So Tokyo Drift is just like those American Pie Presents movies, or other DTV sequels where it's just using the title to get more eyes on something that was wholly unrelated.

I know they later tied it all in, but yeesh. The racing scenes were cool, the girls were hot, and the acting honestly wasn't any worse than the first two. But damn did the plot suck and it's not nearly fun enough to power past that. I know 3 & 4 generally seem to be the consensus worst films, so I'm almost through to the other side at least.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I do not know anything about this Tokyo Drift that you speak of.  It has never existed just like those Highlander sequels people keep telling me about.

There's also only two Terminators and three Indy movies. Any films that suggest otherwise belong on the planet Zeist. 

I like Tokyo Drift. I'm weird though, in that I've loved the franchise from the start. Roger Ebert did too. Sometimes bad movies just have a certain amount of appeal that is hard to explain. If Han weren't in Tokyo Drift though, I don't think I would have liked it as much.

If I were to rank them, I'd go...

Fast 5
Furious 7
The Fast and the Furious
Fast and Furious 6
Fate of the Furious
Fast and Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
Tokyo Drift

I'm pretty positive Paul Walker just have taken some serious acting lessons between 2F2F and F&F. His improvement is stunning.

I actually think I liked 4 more than any of the first three. That tunnel chase was fucking bonkers.

Fast Five: A better rip on Ocean's Eleven that the original was on Point Break, and that final "dragging the safe behind two cars" chase? Fuck yeah that's fucking awesome and easily the high point of the series.

• Like 1

Well, 6 stepped back a bit from Five (nothing measures up to that safe dragging scene dude) but the movie is still incredibly fun, Hobes joined the family, and NOOOO NOT GISELLE!!!! 

DON'T GO TO TOKYO HAN NOOOO.

I'm about to turn on FuriousSeven but I've seen it before. I'm thinking the end is gonna hit me a lot harder this time.

More seriously on 6, I knew from Tokyo Drift and Seven Han was going to die, but I just figured I'd glossed over a mention of where Gisele was in 7. I was caught completely off guard.

So eight movies in roughly 4 days... It must be rankingz~! time!

8. Tokyo Drift

7. 2F2F

6. The Fast and The Furious

5. Fast & Furious

4. Furious 7

3. The Fate of the Furious

2. F&F 6

1. Fast Five

The only real issue I have with Fate is the end when Dom reveals his son's name to be Brian. Like man, Vince died for you in Fast Five AND named his son after you. Vince and Dom grew up together, not Dom and Brian.  I just felt like that was projecting Paul and Vin's friendship on to Brian and Dom.

I'm just nitpicking, though.

• Like 2

When they made Tokyo Drift, it didn't seem at the time the producers were heavily invested in creating this action-adventure saga.  They were just doing fast cars in exotic locales.  Justin Lin also had to beg Vin Diesel to appear in that cameo in the film.

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

When they made Tokyo Drift, it didn't seem at the time the producers were heavily invested in creating this action-adventure saga.  They were just doing fast cars in exotic locales.  Justin Lin also had to beg Vin Diesel to appear in that cameo in the film.

Other than the budget and it being theatrically released, Tokyo plays exactly like those straight to DVD sequels that just use the title to sell a few extra copies of a completely unrelated movie.

But it did give us Han...

• Like 2

I talked to a friend of mine who just saw the movie and he dug it too because the franchise makes it so easy to just turn your brain off, but there are now some glaring issues. Basically, everyone in the movie is trying to get their shit in and no one is the straight man. If Scott Eastwood is supposed to be the guy then that's not good. Han and Brian carried the straight man role or the role of the audience. This series is now severely lacking in that type of character. We were talking about who they could add that audiences like a lot and that they could be the straight man to react to the lunacy around them.

We settled on Ryan Gosling.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Other than the budget and it being theatrically released, Tokyo plays exactly like those straight to DVD sequels that just use the title to sell a few extra copies of a completely unrelated movie.

But it did give us Han...

Yup.  It's exactly like one of those really bad DTV sequels. 

• 5 months later...