DVDVR Message Board

The Fast and Furious franchise thread

LethalStriker

49% female, 37% Hispanic, 25% Caucasian, 24% African-American, 10% Asian and 4% “other.”

The lesson Hollywood should be learning from this Furious 7 breaking the box office:  A diverse cast that treats women and non-white characters with equal respect as it does white men can draw a diverse audience and make roughly all the money.

49% female, 37% Hispanic, 25% Caucasian, 24% African-American, 10% Asian and 4% “other.”

The lesson Hollywood should be learning from this Furious 7 breaking the box office:  A diverse cast that treats women and non-white characters with equal respect as it does white men can draw a diverse audience and make roughly all the money.

Eh.  The Fast / Furious movies reinforce just as many stereotypes as it breaks down. 

For every Ramsey and Tez and Letty you have breaking down barriers and doing non traditional things  (an African-American hacker?  GETHAFUQOUTAHERE~!), you will have a Race Wars Flag Girl as your eye candy or even the Tran brothers as your evil Asian villains that reinforce those stereotypes.

Not that I have any problems staring a hole through the Race Wars Flag Girl (DAT ASS~!) or celebrating the awesomeness of the Tran brothers.  Just saying is all.

If anything, the series should be applauded for the attitude that the main protagonists have towards each other.  There is no stronger bond than family and race / ethnicity is never a factor in any of their eyes.  The ties they have to one another are very believable.

Wan is smart enough to put emphasis on those scenes like Brian and Dom talking on the cargo plane or the beach scene to let the audience see evidence of their ties..  I won't lie.  When Dom said that the bravest thing he'd ever seen Brian do was be a good husband to Mia and a good father to little Jack, the theater got quite dusty.  That shit is real talk.

• Like 1

Seriously, these movies are about as diverse as any movies ever made, and race never actually comes up in the movies.  As someone with a really diverse group of friends, these movies get those dynamics right.  Most of the time movies make the racial differences the subject of 50% of the jokes, but in reality it rarely comes up.  These movies do a lot of ridiculous things, but I think the strength of these films(that's right, films) is that the relationships seem realistic. 

The movie deserves a special effects oscar if only for how much footage they had to replace Paul Walker in. Justin Wan alludes to the fact that all of the Walker/Brewster scenes were performed with a double.

I kept playing the "spot the Walker brother" game. One scene in particular, not an action scene either, you could tell it was one of his brothers. Brian also had no speaking lines during that part. Could have been Paul, but it felt awkward.

Movie was great and everything I wanted it to be. It was absurd as hell, with the highlights being everything at the end. Vin and Statham have a fight set to music that felt like it came from the score for the Matrix Revolutions. It was just totally bananas and I loved it. The Rock busting out of his cast got a ton of laughs too just for how ridiculous that was. Dude was in a cast for a few days, but can just bust out of, take a handful of pain killers and is good to go.

An 8th movie is all but guaranteed, right? Felt like they setup Statham to bust out. Honestly, if the 8th movie were Helen Miren as the main villain, using vast financial wealth to bust out Deckard and get cybernetic implants for Owen and have both Shaw brothers going after a Macguffin of some sort, I would be down for that.

The only question is, aside from Helen Mirren possibly making her debut, what other awesome actor would you want to see debut?

My choices, as always, are Chris Pratt and/or Channing Tatum. 

I guess that I am the only person that marked when I figured out that the song playing while Brian / Dom / Shaw were prepping for final battle was Tempest by Deftones.

Ya'll sleeping on the Rock Bottom on Shaw through the table, and i cant remember if it was tej or roman with the "smell what / cookin" line.

And JT I was also wondering why it took so long to scramble some fighter jets. Or at least a few mofos with a stinger to take that shit out...

I enjoyed the movie, no it wasnt the best in the series. For me, its a toss up between OG and 5. Undoubtedly this has the best sendoff for a character/person in a series (tv or movie) that ive ever watched, & i watched the highlander tv series as a kid.

Ya'll sleeping on the Rock Bottom on Shaw through the table, and i cant remember if it was tej or roman with the "smell what / cookin" line.

And JT I was also wondering why it took so long to scramble some fighter jets. Or at least a few mofos with a stinger to take that shit out...

I enjoyed the movie, no it wasnt the best in the series. For me, its a toss up between OG and 5. Undoubtedly this has the best sendoff for a character/person in a series (tv or movie) that ive ever watched, & i watched the highlander tv series as a kid.

He straight up no sold the Rock Bottom. 

The best part of these movies is that everyone seems to pick out one thing that is just a bridge too far.  My friends wife couldn't get past the broken cast.  She was like, "that is just impossible, you need a saw to get one of those off."  My friend looked at her and said, "Of all of the shit that happened in that movie, that is the part you had a problem with?"  The complete lack of military response to that final scene was absurd, but by the time we got to that point it wasn't really that crazy.  They had already jumped cars out of planes, through skyscrapers, and off of cliffs, why the fuck is that crazier than any of it?  The part I couldn't get over...

When fucking Letty stopped giving Dom CPR to tell him that she was cured from amnesia. He stopped breathing, and his heart wasn't beating, he couldn't have possibly heard her. Even Paul Walker was staring at her like, "BITCH, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?" Then of course he miraculously came back to life like nothing ever happened.

.  My friends wife couldn't get past the broken cast.  She was like, "that is just impossible, you need a saw to get one of those off." 

When I was in the Army, I knew this Samoan dude who ended up with two broken arms from brawling with about a dozen German skinheads(True story) . After less then a week, he couldn't bear the casts anymore. His solution wasn't nearly as elegant as the Rock's. He simply started wailing on a locker with both arms until they broke off . Must be an Islander thing. 

What that other dude said.   Shaw totally no sold the Rock Bottom.  I was pissed.

Both Edwards and LA AFB are right there.  That heli should've had missiles on it in no time flat. 

I gave the bad guys the benefit of the doubt of being smart enough to have removed the transponder on their chopper so that didn't broadcast HEY WE'RE ILLEGALLY FLYING OVER CIVILLIAN AIRSPACE IN A MILITARY-GRADE AIRCRAFT~! all over town.

What that other dude said.   Shaw totally no sold the Rock Bottom.  I was pissed.

Both Edwards and LA AFB are right there.  That heli should've had missiles on it in no time flat. 

I gave the bad guys the benefit of the doubt of being smart enough to have removed the transponder on their chopper so that didn't broadcast HEY WE'RE ILLEGALLY FLYING OVER CIVILLIAN AIRSPACE IN A MILITARY-GRADE AIRCRAFT~! all over town.

That is assuming that no one called and reported a military aircraft was shooting at people over the second largest city in the country.  The military would have blown that shit out of the sky so fast it wouldn't have even made the news.  Unless that helicopter was somehow owned privately on United States soil, which is probably not the case being that it was being used by a foreign terrorist group, they would have to had flown it from somewhere offshore.  If that is the case someone would have noticed and it would have been shot down way before it made land.  America has thousands of issues, but military response times ain't one of them.  We have jets that can fly at 3 times the speed of sound, that shit would have been toast long before they reached Los Angeles.  It was a bad ass action sequence though.

Edwards and LA AFB would've scrambled as soon as the sat tower got blown up..  If the Predator also had its transponder removed, it wouid've had to have been verified by sight.

The Air National Guard probably would've gotten the first call to bring down the drone and the chopper since IIRC it is still against FAA regs for domestic security forces aka the police to have heavy weapons affixed to aircraft.

Fuck all that. You guys are totally sleeping on authorities probably knowing that Hobbs was on the motherfucker and was going in to chill some bitches out. Who needs fighter jets or anything else when all you need is Hobbs and a big ass truck to perfectly time driving off a bridge into the drone.

Only way it would have been better and more ridiculous is if Hobbs did the same thing with a horse. And that horse would fucking live.

• Like 6

Fuck all that. You guys are totally sleeping on authorities probably knowing that Hobbs was on the motherfucker and was going in to chill some bitches out. Who needs fighter jets or anything else when all you need is Hobbs and a big ass truck to perfectly time driving off a bridge into the drone.

Only way it would have been better and more ridiculous is if Hobbs did the same thing with a horse. And that horse would fucking live.

I am totally good with Hobbes using his authority to commandeer an ambulance but HOW IN THE FUCK DID HE GET A MINIGUN~??

I am totally good with Hobbes using his authority to commandeer an ambulance but HOW IN THE FUCK DID HE GET A MINIGUN~??

He took it off the drone, because of course you can use the machine gun on a drone like a minigun.

Out of all the gravity-defying stuff that I let my suspension of disbelief get past, the biggest problem I had was that during the whole final act was that maybe only 15-20 patrol cars showed up to deal with Shaw and goons....15-20 squad cars...in L.A..  

Maybe they got a call from Hobbs or something, telling them to back off because he's got this under control.

I went with a group of friends to see The Fast and the Furious. We were all like 16 or some shit. It was a fucking blast. Years later and we have seen every fucking one of these and it's always the greatest.  My favorite part of this outside of the send off was definitely Hobbs and the ambulance. That shit was straight out of T2.

The send off had me crying like hell.  I miss Paul. 

• Like 1