DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I have not seen the movie but I know DDP sounds like he's trying to sell you aluminum siding even when he's at his most sincere.

I always think of Foley talking about traveling with DDP and how he'd tell random tollbooth workers "If my life were any better I'd have to be twins just to handle it!" and how Abdullah the Butcher said that Page would succeed because he lives his gimmick.

LOl, that's a little frightening.  I dug Page as a wrestler and a heel manager, but he comes off as one of those guys who, if he met me at midnight and informed me it was dark outside, I'd want to go to a window and check for myself.

Honestly, i always assumed Page's heel manager character was his real personality dialed up a bit.  I was in Florida in the 80's (yes, I'm that old), so I have vague memories of the club Page managed (owned?) and heard some stories about him. 

that whole promo was the epitome of being out of touch with what your fans want, it was insane. Glad Wrestlemania ended up going the way it did and if Bryan never wrestles again it's a great note to end on

We're in complete agreement.

there's so much to love about that vid though - Triple H trying to power through the promo unsuccesfully, Steph's "oh for fuck's sake" fed up roll of the eyes, Shawn Michaels stooging to get the crowd to shush, Mark Henry raising DB's arm thinking that will then stop the chant and none of it working. Then there's CM Punk's sarcastic look at DB as the cheers get louder as if to say "why aren't the office listening?!"

• Like 4

I have DDP Yoga...

....The dietary stuff is whatever.

Considering DDP claims diet soda contains multiple-times more calories than regular soda but a conspiracy between the U.S. government and BIG SODA is keeping that fact from you...yeah, I wouldn't necessarily trust his diet advice.

• Like 2

there's so much to love about that vid though - Triple H trying to power through the promo unsuccesfully, Steph's "oh for fuck's sake" fed up roll of the eyes, Shawn Michaels stooging to get the crowd to shush, Mark Henry raising DB's arm thinking that will then stop the chant and none of it working. Then there's CM Punk's sarcastic look at DB as the cheers get louder as if to say "why aren't the office listening?!"

Out of "likes" but yes, all of this. I remember people laughing about Punk's face during that, and it's even better in retrospect. So glad I got to attend WM 30.

that whole promo was the epitome of being out of touch with what your fans want, it was insane. Glad Wrestlemania ended up going the way it did and if Bryan never wrestles again it's a great note to end on

The "being out of touch with what your fans want" was the point of that promo, though. 

Not to mention Bret looking lost, DB trying to hold back his glee then just going with it, and Punk chuckling when HHH is declared the best champion ever.

Oh, and Khali was in the ring looking as lost as Bret. 

Busy weekend coming up in my neck of the woods:  Ring Of Honor is in Collinsville on Saturday.  Notably no Jay Lethal or Matt Sydal on the show(is Matt still in Japan?).  Strong is doing the open-challenge thing with the T.V. Title and I hope one of the local guys gets the opportunity.  Delirious vs. Dalton Castle should be quite entertaining.

If that's not your taste in wrestling, SICW is in East Carondelet with Kahagas vs. Flash Flanagan and Red River Jack(who is totally not Cowboy Bob Orton under a mask) vs. Bubba Troll.

The "being out of touch with what your fans want" was the point of that promo, though. 

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that Bryan winning the title at Mania was the plan all along.

• Like 3

Funny, I thought the point of that was to get over Orton vs Cena in part 77,390 in their best of 298,301 series.

• Like 2

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that Bryan winning the title at Mania was the plan all along.

Just because that wasn't the plan from the start doesn't mean anything. The whole "best for business" thing started as a way to show that The Authority were out of touch and not doing what the fans wanted. The meta aspect to the angle gets people confused on what is writing and what is real. HHH and Steph out there saying HHH is the greatest champion ever while in the ring full of champions and everyone rolling their eyes was the point. To make them look like out of touch egomaniacs. Because they're heels. 

When it comes to Bryan, people conveniently seem to look over that they had Bryan beat Cena clean and spend the next 4 or 5 months feuding over the title in 2013. WWE DID pull the trigger on him while he was hot. Just because they weren't planning to put him in the main event at WM30 doesn't mean they were ignoring him. Austin was the the hottest guy going into WM13 and there were no plans to put him in the main event. 

I have DDP Yoga...

....The dietary stuff is whatever.

Considering DDP claims diet soda contains multiple-times more calories than regular soda but a conspiracy between the U.S. government and BIG SODA is keeping that fact from you...yeah, I wouldn't necessarily trust his diet advice.

For what it's worth, drinking diet soda is just as bad. Also, I think you misunderstood the point why because it's not about calories. At it's most base, you're drinking something with an artificial sweetener that's tricking your brain into thinking you're taking in sugar, prompting a response from your pancreas to regulate what it thinks is your body taking in sugar, which in turn makes you store body fat while slowing down your metabolism, burning less calories than you should. It's not the calories from diet soda, it's the calories you're not burning from anything else you eat.

Most of his advice in the manual (eat clean with no sugar) is good advice.

This is true.

When I did DDP Yoga a few years ago I honestly couldn't afford any of the shit he was saying to eat. I ate grilled chicken and salad most nights and drank vodka instead of beer and it worked great

This is also true. The risk you run is taking in too few calories, but it's still healthier eating. And yeah, if you're going to have an alcoholic beverage, you're better off with anything other than beer or rum. When I lost 50 to 60 lbs. on South Beach years ago, if I had a drink, it was a vodka tonic. And only 1 or 2.

Yes, but the man literally said that diet soda actually contains calories.  Not the whole "trick your brain" thing.  Calories.  And that it contains many times more calories than non-diet soda.  And that that the government and soda manufacturers are conspiring in some insidious plot to keep this fact away from you.

This is like finding out your new girlfriend is a 9/11 truther.  Yes, there are still positives, but you just can't look at her the same after that.

• Like 2