DVDVR Message Board

[DVDVR CONTENT] ANNOUNCING THE 1001 MATCHES PROJECT

RIPPA

Nick Bockwinkel v.Curt Hennig

AWA World Heavyweight Title Las Vegas, NV

The truly last GREAT match for the AWA title. It is a perfect example of an old dog showing he isn't done yet but still giving the future star enough to show why he was next in line!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1nwwgy_nick-bockwinkel-vs-curt-hennig-awa-part-1_sport

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1nwwap_nick-bockwinkel-vs-curt-hennig-awa-part-2_sport

(this is one match broken in to 2 parts. I already know what my second choice is though)

James

• Like 1

August 11 1991

G1 CLIMAX FINAL

Keiji Mutoh v. Masahiro Chono

This is a match I show to people who express an interest in watching Japanese wrestling with no background. This and Kawda/Misawa 06/04/94 are the 2 that jump out (if there is a 3rd I show them Tenryu/Hashimoto from the 98 G1 just so they can see 2 dudes chop each other in the goodamn face). I figure someone else will throw Misawa/Kawada in the mix. Let me tell you that this match is athletic poetry. Mutoh and Chono go all out and there several times you swear one guy has it won only to have the other guy barely kick-out or make the ropes. Its Mutoh at his athletic BEST and Chono providing basic non-flashy moves to offset his opponent's flashier repetoire. The last 10 minuts are just incredible, 2 guys throwing in everything including a the kitchen sink. I love this match and knew when this topic appeared that this was going to be one of the matches I chose.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12iuvw_keiji-mutoh-vs-masahiro-chono-njpw-08-11-91_sport

James

Whoops. Sorry

EDIT: Okay home now, just having this made the fucking Hennig/Bock match FINALLY show up to me online. So, the whole concept is not only touching but even us not understanding the idea made my day. And Billy/Bock being on the list makes me want you guys to review every match at length... which is not gonna happen, but I can dream.

One hour later: Bock/Hennig is pretty goddamn good. Stiff shots and grueling limbwork throughout, made me want to see them just plaster each other in BattlARTS for nine minutes. Plus you got Hennig tapping a vein, Gary DeRusha doing a stellar job at reffing and bumping, and Lord James Blears rambling along with Trongard in an endearing manner that is half-senile but still gets over the match. The end keeps this from being the best broadway ever but there are points where I was about to give it that, so yeah, fucking great match. 

That brings to mind Fujinami vs. Nishimura in MUGA. One or both of those should be on the list. Also something from Volk Han, and beyond all doubt Tamura vs. Kosaka from RINGS. And MS-1 vs. Sangre Chicana. And I am gonna stop now because the recommendations will never end... but then why do we have a thread for this again?

Rippa, please don't kill me, I can't stop myself. It's an affliction.

Since this will be such a large project and if you guys are looking for people to help write contributing pieces for the matches selected, I'm more than open to writing about a couple of the matches.  I am just throwing that out there for you.

Randy Orton vs David Otunga Miracle on 34th Street Fight 11/29/11

I've spoken about my love for this match before but it is great. Not a technical masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination but it sure is fun. Who wouldn't like a Christmas themed street fight? Randy just beats Otunga with holiday themed weapons like Christmas trees, cookie sheets, wrapped presents and even a candycane themed Singapore cane. The crowd was super into it too, worth the watch.

Yeah - the loop hole is tags and multi man matches

Basically we did it to not have say 20 Flair/Steamboat matches on the list

It also us to expose the masses to more workers