DVDVR Message Board

NCAA 2015-16: Goin' Bowling & PLAYOFFS?!

Dolfan in NYC

Thing is, they almost always play man. That wasn't a massive strategic shift for Henry, it's just who they are.

But they couldn't cover deep and they couldn't pass protect. Then after he got hit enough, Cook turtled. Can't blame him.

I think the int just before halftime just killed them. Two personal fouls on the drive after the half, and they never looked competitive again.

Even though it was tight early, I really felt like MSU was in trouble when their defense started the game by celebrating every routine tackle like they had knocked the Earth off its axis or something. They looked like guys trying to convince themselves that they were up to the task.

Gonzo, on 06 Dec 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

Alabama vs Michigan State: First team to 10 wins?

EVA, on 06 Dec 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

I think there's a higher likelihood this goes the way of the 2010 Capital One Bowl and turns into a Bama mauling.

CALLED IT.

Hey, so did I!

I mean, the first team to 10 did win, after all.

• Like 1

Even though it was tight early, I really felt like MSU was in trouble when their defense started the game by celebrating every routine tackle like they had knocked the Earth off its axis or something. They looked like guys trying to convince themselves that they were up to the task.

MSU's whole football program is built on a perpetual underdog narrative, whether that narrative be their rivalry against Michigan or their ability to play elite teams when they get to this level. No matter what, Sparty is perpetually convinced that they're the underdog. At some point, you have to stop celebrating mundane achievements and start thinking that you're the best. Whenever I watch MSU play football, I get the feeling that their whole mindset is that they're John Cena and overcoming the odds every week. They show a bit of cockiness against Michigan but that mostly comes off as the annoying little brother badgering the older brother during a game of pickup basketball. 

I don't know what kind of pep talks D'Antonio gives in the locker room but he needs to learn from Izzo. The basketball program doesn't have this same "aw shucks, me?" feel to it. They actually believe they're the best and it shows. 

(Let's not forget that Sparty wouldn't have been here if not for a fluke play against Michigan anyway)

They watched the clip of Jadeveon Clowney like everyone else did. They're hoping for that top draft pick.

Gonzo, on 06 Dec 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

Alabama vs Michigan State: First team to 10 wins?

EVA, on 06 Dec 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

I think there's a higher likelihood this goes the way of the 2010 Capital One Bowl and turns into a Bama mauling.

CALLED IT.

Hey, so did I!

I mean, the first team to 10 did win, after all.

As it turned out, the first team to 3 won. . . .

The ratings for last night fell off a cliff. I know there's a lot of factors at play such as maybe who was in this year's games and neither game being very exciting but it is obvious having the playoffs on NYE is fucking stupid. I don't care who's ass they have to kiss to get this thing turned around, there is literally zero chance of me ever being able to catch the second part of that doubleheader.

I'm really surprised how easily Michigan handled Florida too.

I mean, I felt pretty confident they were going to win, but I was edifying something more like 24-14, not 41-7.

I get issues of motivation being a possible factor, but they beat Florida worse than Bama did.

Why not play them tomorrow if they couldn't today? It would still be a nine day lay off. . . .

The College Football Playoff Committee(the power 5 conferences) wouldn't budge, ESPN begged them to move the semi's to the 2nd this year but the Committee is dead set on the triple headers on the 31st and 1st. It's the same b.s. from the BCS days. The conferences and bowls are looking out for their best interest and not that of the fans even if that costs then money in the long run.

What's going to happen in a few years when they expand the playoff to 8 teams and play on Christmas Eve and Day.