DVDVR Message Board

NCAA 2015-16: Goin' Bowling & PLAYOFFS?!

Dolfan in NYC

I didn't think the Gators would have anything for Michigan. The offense wouldn't put up three scores on Michigan in eight quarters. The defense knew they'd have to pitch a shutout.

This has been a disaster of a bowl season. I can't think of one game that was worth watching. Throw in the semifinals being on New Years Eve and it's so blah.

Can someone explain why Iowa is even playing in this game? Sure they won their division but that side of the Big 10 sucked and they got a easy draw on the crossover games against the East. Their biggest wins this year were what Pitt and Northwestern?

Highest ranked B1G team available.

From what I read, the Rose is only specifically obligated to take the B1G champ, and they could have selected Ohio if they had chosen to do so, but there was a lot of pressure to take Iowa after the conference title game, because Ohio had been there more recently, Iowa was ranked higher, Iowa win their division, the MSU game was close, etc.

Plus, I bet the Fiesta put out a lot of pressure because they wanted the marquee Ohio/ND game.

This is technically political, but amused me greatly. Carly Fiorina, a Stanford alum, said she was pulling for the Hawkeyes to win the game on twitter. Gee, that worked out well. (If you don't know why she would be pulling for Iowa, be glad you don't. It's very stupid.)

• Like 1

So how do we fix this year's playoff so it doesn't suck? Obviously in hindsight, Ohio State should've been #4 over Oklahoma. Stanford probably merited more consideration as well.

Really, to solve the scheduling thing you guys have been talking about, the best solution would be a six team playoff where 1 & 2 get a bye so you have 3-6 in round one at Christmas, round 2 at New Years and then the championship.

So how do we fix this year's playoff so it doesn't suck? Obviously in hindsight, Ohio State should've been #4 over Oklahoma. Stanford probably merited more consideration as well.

Really, to solve the scheduling thing you guys have been talking about, the best solution would be a six team playoff where 1 & 2 get a bye so you have 3-6 in round one at Christmas, round 2 at New Years and then the championship.

Expand it to 8 teams and take the bowls out of the mix.

This is technically political, but amused me greatly. Carly Fiorina, a Stanford alum, said she was pulling for the Hawkeyes to win the game on twitter. Gee, that worked out well. (If you don't know why she would be pulling for Iowa, be glad you don't. It's very stupid.)

It's INCREDIBLY stupid. Probably cost her more votes in Iowa by pandering than if she'd simply said "nothing personal, but gotta be true to my school."

• Like 1

The purpose of the playoff is not to create the 3 most entertaining games, it's to select the 4 most deserving teams.

If Ohio State wanted to be in, Urb should've got his shit together and not lost to Michigan State without Connor Cook. And let's not overreact to them being the lucky team chosen to take the traditional New Year's Dump on Notre Dame.

There's nothing wrong with the playoff. Yes, Oklahoma and State lost badly but they belonged there. It's not like we haven't seen blowouts in, say, the Super Bowl before.

And, really, let's drop the tired "Ohio should've been 4th" narrative. They finished 3rd in their own conference. MAYBE they've got a case if they had made their conference title game and lost a close one - but they didn't. And, let's be honest, they really only played two good games all year.

• Like 1