DVDVR Message Board

NBA 2015-16 - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

The Joseph call was imaginary. Lowry was just being stupid, you can't get away with chicken winging on a pick.

Raps fought hard to come back, that's what I like to see from them. Now stop losing to the Orlandos and Sacramentos of the league!

LOL.  Yeah I wouldn't think so, but who knows.  

I would assume Thibs has no interest in coaching this year.  More likely he just keeps cashing the Bulls checks until next off season.  On the other hand, he is so obsessed with basketball that maybe he would jump into a situation that is seemingly at odds with his coaching style.

Harden was an above-average defender at points through last year, but he (and the rest of the team) have been dogging it hard so far.  Which makes me think this might be more than your usual "you can't fire the players" coach firing.

I'm obviously no Rockets fan, but firing McHale isn't the move to make in their situation, unless they feel like OKC did last year.  Injuries have a lot to do with the Rockets poor start, but maybe they feel like McHale won't get them over the hump?  Will the Rockets even make the playoffs now?

It's me vs. RandomAct tonight. Get ya popcorn ready.

The fact that Jae Crowder and Dwight Powell were the best parts of the Rondo trade has me intrigued on this one.

Haha well Rondo has been playing very well for the Kings this year but shit I really like Crowder on this team. He fits in real well.

Hey Sixers fans, how are you feeling about The Process right about now? 

Man.  I love Okafor and Noel, but holy hell.  I watched that whole game yesterday for DFS purposes and yeah.  It was... not fun.

You picked the wrong game. I thought that was the 2nd worst game we've played since 2013-2014. Behind the debacle in Los Angeles when the Clippers were up like 50 in the 3rd while the Sixers were shooting 15%. We had 18 or 19 turnovers at the half last night. I ended up on basketball-reference looking for the record during the game. The most in the database, going back to 85-86, was 40 by the 1989 Spurs. So still a ways to go after finishing with 29. 56 in the last 2 games. 

This season was pretty clearly going to be ugly. After the terrible luck last season draft wise and Embiid on the shelf again. We had the Lakers pick top 3 protected, they picked 2nd. We had the Heat pick top 10 protected they picked 10. The OKC pick top 18 protected they picked 14. Who would have picked OKC of all teams to miss the playoffs? I know people are judging the Embiid pick harshly and it was a risk. Remember though Simmons and Rose were saying on the draft preview that they think he should still go first overall even with the back and foot injury. Upside is just too high. 

I thought some Sixers fans were overrating the team coming into this season. That is just the fans who thought they could improve to 30 wins. I just wasn't seeing it. I thought Evilwaldo that posted here a couple times had more realistic expectations than what I had seen elsewhere. Though I don't agree that it costs Hinkie his job. Sixers fans undervalued Mbah a Moute's impact defensively last year. I can understand why though. It only shows up once you starting going through the synergy numbers. Add losing him to trading MCW and McDaniels and defensively the team was going to take a step backwards; remember that was how we were winning games during that run of games last year when we were showing signs of competence. I think most fans believe it was a mistake to not stick with Ish Smith short term. Our best offensive player from last season was Covington and he is just coming back from injury. Wroten and Marshall are set for December. There are going to be some major growing pains. Noel has to adjust to a new position. It is questionable if that will be the right move long term. Might end up having to look to move him or Okafor. Right now though it is just trying to find the best players and it is too early to worry about fit. There are warning signs though. 

Stauskas just hasn't found his shot and I'm starting to think I was to quick defending him believing he would find it. Just not sure I trust him between the ears. He shows a lot of talent driving and has played surprisingly well defensively but none of that matters if he is missing open 3s. I honestly think he might have broken a record for most missed open 3s in a game against Milwaukee; silver lining though is it shows that the attention Okafor demands will result in open shots. Frankly he has been better than I expected though I'm still not convinced I was wrong in thinking Porzingis was a better prospect. I think more people have come over to my side on that one actually.

Hinkie has one more off-season for sure IMO. I don't think management is getting caught off guard by this at all. He'll have 3 or 4 first round picks unless something freak happens with OKC or Miami. Plus Saric and Embiid. I think it is safe to say this will be the point where some tangible progress will have to be made. No one will be expecting a good team next season. Just the foundation of one in place. That is still a ? right now.

It did suck losing another season. Like you said last night was not fun. We've played 12 games and 3 of them were borderline unbearable. The game against the Jazz, OKC, and Indiana. Noel was playing alright before hurting his wrist against Orlando. Total disappearing act last night though. If Noel or Okafor or off the game is tough to sit through. I know Noel's FG% looks bad but a lot of that are circumstances out of his control. Sixers guards have this really really bad tendency of giving Noel and Okafor the ball just as the clock is expiring. Last week Noel and Okafor were 2nd and 3rd in the league for FGA with the clock expiring. Just bad decision making. 

We played Cleveland tough twice. The Mavs and Spurs game could have been worse. Especially the Spurs since they rested their best player. That just isn't enough though right now. The team is just hard to watch. Mainly because of how many players on the team just have a low basketball IQ. Okafor gets double teamed and only Stauskas knows to try and move into a position where he can see you to pass out of it. 

The crowd at the homes games is depressing. The energy level is so low right now. That wasn't the case last year. I don't know when it is going to get better. I seriously think there were hotter crowds in Utah during summer league. Right now we've lost 22 straight. With a 6 game road trip about to start. @Charlotte, @Miami, @Minnesota, @Boston, @Houston, @Memphis. Charlotte is probably our best shot since they are inconsistent. Chances of breaking the record look good I'd say. 

Looking back, would you consider it a mistake to not stick with some vets?  It would still be pretty easy to tank with, like, one or two solid hands.  

I just have trouble with the idea of sticking one or two super prospects with about 9 guys who shouldn't even be in the league.  Their is a good chance it is damaging their long term progress.  Obviously the Byron Scott method of playing vets and sitting prospects isn't a solid strategy either, but putting people out there who could teach Nerlens and Okafor seems essential.  I'm honestly shocked they haven't gone that route.

Kawhi Leonard is shutting down the league's other small forwards...

LjW8uv9.jpg

The one guy who had some success... Otto Porter from Washington (and the Spurs lost)

Kawhi Leonard is shutting down the league's other small forwards...

The one guy who had some success... Otto Porter from Washington (and the Spurs lost)

He's an mvp candidate. Flashback to

MPGmWPP.gif

Looking back, would you consider it a mistake to not stick with some vets?  It would still be pretty easy to tank with, like, one or two solid hands.  

I just have trouble with the idea of sticking one or two super prospects with about 9 guys who shouldn't even be in the league.  Their is a good chance it is damaging their long term progress as players.  Obviously the Byron Scott method of playing vets and sitting prospects isn't a solid strategy either, but putting people out there who could teach Nerlens and Okafor seems essential.  I'm honestly shocked they haven't gone that route.

I thought last year having Mbah a Moute and Ish Smith was ideal. I hated when we were playing Jason Richardson as well though. Veterans with games that benefit the man pieces you are trying to develop is logical. Ish and Noel were a great fit.

I agree about guys that shouldn't be in the league. I look at the team moving forward this way best case scenario. 

PG- unknown/Marshall/McConnell

SG- unknown/Stauskas/Thompson

SF- unknown/Covington/Grant

PF- Noel/Saric/Holmes

C- Okafor/Embiid/Wood

Some of those guys I'm not sold on. I thought Marshall's 8.8 assists per year with the Lakers was D'Antoni fools gold. McConnell has been a pleasant surprise but he will be turning 24 soon which is old for a rookie. Not much physical upside. Thompson seems like a spot up shooter only. Stauskas might be a bust relative to where he was picked. Which I thought was too high at the time.

I think the team should continue rotating guys out looking for new Covingtons. That is the one advantage to going completely young. Developing guys like Canaan or Sampson just seems counter productive. Thompson I can understand since he shot 40% from three his first 2 seasons. Even in his case I think converting him into a pick should be the goal. Same with Wroten. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we move Covington this year. He has value to some good teams. He could be a difference maker on a team like Memphis. 

I've never been opposed to some veteran stability. I just don't want to be the team that is throwing big money at Eric Gordon. I think the Lakers are actually a very good example of doing it the wrong way by adding Lou Williams and Huertas on top of having Nick Young and Kobe. The worst possible environment for Russell IMO. They should be developing a two man game with Randle/Russell and Randle/Clarkson.

• Like 1