DVDVR Message Board

NBA 2015-16 - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

As someone said earlier and I think it's true too there is so much parity right now it's so much fun. I don't view it as a watered down product either there is just a lot of good basketball being played and a great collection of young talent mixed with established talent that are not yet past their prime. Good year for the league.

If you would have told me the Pelicans would be this bad or the Rockets would start out like this etc..   I wouldn't have thought so.

• Like 1

LeBron James: great team leader is the worst. I couldn't believe the spin he himself applied to his calling out the Cavs. Somebody on TNT paraphrased James saying he called them out last year and that's what got them playing better (not David Griffin selling the future for the present - bringing in Smith/Mozgov/Shumpert). Then last night he just sits down on the bench after a bad turnover by a teammate. Cleveland gets a technical foul for only playing with 4 on the court. Both this year and last had several gif-worthy moments of him just giving up and pouting because things weren't going as he wanted. This year, the best one has been him casually walking right by Kevin Love, who was on his ass, without helping him up. I wonder how Popovich would react to some of this childish shit. Then there's the clashes with Blatt and James taking credit for changing plays (when they go right). 

• Like 1

He's always been like this. Riley and Wade were enough to reign it in somewhat while he was in Miami but there's no one he respects in the whole Cavs organization.

He seems a lot closer to Kobe in terms of "leadership." He acts out then later on tries to pass it off as some sort of calculated move.

• Like 1

Pat Riley is talking up GSW as a dynasty in the making.

This brings to mind when people rolled their eyes a bit when Mark Jackson said the Dubs backcourt was the best ever. He wasn't wrong in retrospect. But that is also proof he is an a-time goof. That franchise with him was so crazy to the point assistant coaches were taping conversations. It also shows how having a good organization top-to-bottom is super important in the NBA. That has ways been the Spurs advantage. Now GSW has it but with better players.

What a fucking nightmare for the NBA.

• Like 1

They are pretty awesome but I'll wait until the new money deal to kick in before calling them a dynasty. A lot can change in 2 years... career ending injuries, other mega-teams rising, Draymond Green sleeping with Curry's wife.

• Like 1

Serious question.... when was the last time the Eastern Conference had more .500 teams than the Western Conference with at least 10 games played? Right now, the East has 11 .500 or over teams compared with 7 for the West. 

Good question so I looked back through the standings as I was wondering when is the last time the East could be argued as being deeper than the West and there were a few little technicalities in the early 2000s because there were a couple years where the 8th seed in the West had 44 wins but their 9th team was bad whereas the East had a lot of teams hovering around 41-42 wins.

So my answer is the 1996-97 season. You probably remember it well or actually you might not have watched much because I believe Robinson missed the whole year. The Spurs were bad but as we know that worked out pretty well for them.  

So in that season the Bulls won 69 games, Heat 61, Knicks 57, Hawks/Pistons/Hornets all between 54-56 wins.

In the West the top 4 was Utah (67), Seattle (57), Houston (57) and Lakers (56)  but a pretty big drop off after that.

It appears the Grizz have maybe taken a step back, Rockets are in turmoil which I love (sorry Metal dude I can't stand Dwight and Harden) and the Pelicans have been terrible. Also, nobody is really discussing the Clippers all that much.  They haven't been good.  I didn't understand their crunch time lineup the other night either. It probably would have been a better idea to get Smith on the court with the Warriors going small.

I believe Harrison Barnes is a free agent at the end of the year and he'll probably get max offers I'd assume. He's been key to their small ball crunch time lineup.

Restricted Free Agent, they will match anything he is offered. Reason they didn't sign him in the offseason is to keep flexibility to make a run at Durant.

• Like 2