DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL: WEEK SIX

Dolfan in NYC

Looking back at ESPN, you guys are right. All the stupid stories were not by them, although the one by Tom Brady's dad was closest. I retract my comment, and just want them to lose as a division "rival"(in quotes because I am well aware of the Bills W-L record). . . .

People's dads say stupid shit. Tom Brady needs to tell his dad to stop doing that.

• Like 1

Will say this, Both teams had moments of gifts (the questionable call on the onside kick recovery, the ball off Edelman's injured hand that turned into a Pick Six, and then the Snapfu).. The Colts aren't a bad team, I expect to see them again in the playoffs. I think the Pats are better then them right now.

But huge game next week, 5-0 Pats vs 5-1 Jets. (Although Kuetsar might steal a line from the Freddy vs Jason movie (or was it Alien vs Predator).. "No matter who wins.. we lose"

I have only three takeaways from whatever I saw today.

1. Someone tell Phillip Rivers to stop building his Catholic Warrior Commune, no one's coming for him.

2. That Bose/Macklemore/Wilson ad is the epitome of BRAND AWARENESS~! and now I hate everything.

3. I still have no idea what the Colts were trying to do.

Query, is there a reason Joe Haden of all people would have the highest selling jersey at Dick's Sporting Goods stupid jersey selling measurement site? Is it the new jersey and he's their most recognizable player? It seems odd. In fact, the Browns are number one among all teams, beating out the Pats, that makes no sense. There has to be something else with that besides being new.

Deal with the bad next generation site design:
http://www.dsg.com/jerseyreport/football/charts/rankings/player/overall/season

Noticed this on an ESPN.COM story about the Pats game

"(Brady) also did not elaborate when asked by ESPN staffers if he took two footballs from the game as a keepsake, saying only he didn't keep them for himself."

Odds that the game balls are going to Jastremski and McNally (the "Deflators")?

if so... Troll Level: Legendary.

• Like 2

RIPPA's favourite play is still #1, but last night is a very solid entry for #2.

You can make an argument that the Colts play is number 1 because it had a direct effect on the game. The Redskins were already getting embarrassed, and it was right before halftime.

Several Colts players have said the ball was never supposed to be snapped at all and Pagano taking the fall for it is pretty much white knight bullshit.

But still, maybe just don't do that anymore.

Yeah, this is a WTF. The "center" clearly had a brain cramp and snapped it when he shouldn't have. Not Pagano's fault that they snapped it incorrectly but his fault they ran that mess out there in the first place.

RIPPA's favourite play is still #1, but last night is a very solid entry for #2.

You can make an argument that the Colts play is number 1 because it had a direct effect on the game. The Redskins were already getting embarrassed, and it was right before halftime.

Yeah, the Redskins one might have been a funnier fail since it resulted in an interception but it led to no points. The Colts one led to a Patriots TD.

If the Giants had actually scored on that play it might be my favourite NFL play ever, although I will say the Butt Fumble is pretty sublime and really, really hard for me to go against. It's just so clear, concise and perfect in it's fail-ness, and it resulted in a TD in a rivalry game on worldwide TV.

I hate when players ask for flags. Every deep pass now the WR wants a flag, every time a QB is hit he finds a referee and motions for a flag. Maybe I am just old but I don't remember ten years ago players doing that. I think Brady started it and now everyone does it.

In Tabe's NFL, asking for a flag is a 10-yard penalty. I'm dead serious about that.
Other rules in my league:

1) Jumping offside stops the play, same as a false start

2) Throwing the ball into the ground on a screen pass is intentional grounding

3) kickoffs (when kicked from normal spot) that go out of the back of the end zone on the fly get spotted at the 35

4) Quarterback hand gestures, neck bobs, and leg raises designed to fake a snap are a false start

5) pick routes will be tightly called as offensive pass interference

6) "half the distance" offsides penalties are an automatic 1st down

7) Offensive pass interference will be more tightly called and will include loss of down as well

8) I'm not sure how to word this but somehow I want to limit yardage on defensive pass interference and eliminate intentionally underthrown passes to try and create PI calls the defense can't possibly prevent

I can't agree enough with begging for flags being penalty worthy.  Shit, make it 15 yards.  The penalty is called "unsportsmanlike conduct" and crying to the ref for a flag and generally making a Jim Harbaugh-level ass of yourself is not the mark of a sportsman.  It's also maddening to see the ref throw the flag after the complaint like, "welp, you convinced me!"

I'd personally tighten up the rules for intentional grounding.  When a QB is being dragged down and he weakly flings it away, fuck that noise. Oh, there was a receiver 10 yards from where the ball bounced?  Come on dudes.  Everybody in the stadium knows what the QB was trying to do there. 

Really, I'm for any new rule that puts quarterbacks back on the level of every other player, because they get way too much deferential treatment from rules designed to pump up offense instead of making it a fair game.

I hate when players ask for flags. Every deep pass now the WR wants a flag, every time a QB is hit he finds a referee and motions for a flag. Maybe I am just old but I don't remember ten years ago players doing that. I think Brady started it and now everyone does it.

In Tabe's NFL, asking for a flag is a 10-yard penalty. I'm dead serious about that.
Other rules in my league:

1) Jumping offside stops the play, same as a false start

2) Throwing the ball into the ground on a screen pass is intentional grounding

3) kickoffs (when kicked from normal spot) that go out of the back of the end zone on the fly get spotted at the 35

4) Quarterback hand gestures, neck bobs, and leg raises designed to fake a snap are a false start

5) pick routes will be tightly called as offensive pass interference

6) "half the distance" offsides penalties are an automatic 1st down

7) Offensive pass interference will be more tightly called and will include loss of down as well

8) I'm not sure how to word this but somehow I want to limit yardage on defensive pass interference and eliminate intentionally underthrown passes to try and create PI calls the defense can't possibly prevent

I can't agree enough with begging for flags being penalty worthy.  Shit, make it 15 yards.  The penalty is called "unsportsmanlike conduct" and crying to the ref for a flag and generally making a Jim Harbaugh-level ass of yourself is not the mark of a sportsman.  It's also maddening to see the ref throw the flag after the complaint like, "welp, you convinced me!"

I'd personally tighten up the rules for intentional grounding.  When a QB is being dragged down and he weakly flings it away, fuck that noise. Oh, there was a receiver 10 yards from where the ball bounced?  Come on dudes.  Everybody in the stadium knows what the QB was trying to do there. 

Really, I'm for any new rule that puts quarterbacks back on the level of every other player, because they get way too much deferential treatment from rules designed to pump up offense instead of making it a fair game.

Asking for a penalty should be a penalty, and making a we have the ball signal after a fumble should be a penalty.  My biggest pet peeve in all of sports is the guy standing next to a pile of 18 people and pretending that he knows his team has the ball.  Another penalty should be doing a non personal touchdown celebration.  You either have to have "Your" celebration or no celebration.  Cam's Superman celebration can stay.  Victor Cruz can salsa all day.  I will allow a spike, but if you want to dance/gesture/pontificate, you need to have your own. 

Oh, and about the jersey sales.  The Browns have one of the biggest and most passionate fanbases in the entire NFL.  I grew up in Ohio, and moved to Virginia in high school.  Washington fans claim to be a passionate fanbase, it doesn't really compare to the Browns fanbase in my eyes.  A lot of sports fandom is passed down from parents and grandparents, and the Browns were one of the winningest franchises during the post WWII era where a lot of our national nostalgia comes from. 

• Like 1

I want all TD celebrations, all the time.  Don't want somebody to jump into the crowd, salsa or pretend to shit out a football?  Play some fucking D and don't let them score.  This isn't baseball where showing enthusiasm is "playing the game the wrong way."

The only time I dislike celebrations is when guys celebrate while their team is losing.  Ray Lewis was the undisputed KING of this bullshit.  Dude, your team is still down by 14.  Don't be the number three guy on a sack and then act like you just cured cancer.

• Like 3

In my NFL, there would be no rules against taunting and excessive celebration whatsoever. You don't want a guy to dance? Tackle him before he scores. You aren't kids, you're goddamn professionals.

• Like 2

I'd personally tighten up the rules for intentional grounding. When a QB is being dragged down and he weakly flings it away, fuck that noise. Oh, there was a receiver 10 yards from where the ball bounced? Come on dudes. Everybody in the stadium knows what the QB was trying to do there.

Yep. I'm all for protecting quarterbacks but I hate the intentional grounding rules. Tighten 'em up like you suggest.

Few things will make you come close to losing your religion quite like being down 10-3 at the half.  GO STEELERS~!  QUIT GIVING ME HEART ATTACKS~! WE CANNOT AFFORD TO FUCKING LOSE WHEN CINCY IS STILL UNDEFEATED~~!

If our third string QB can keep the magic going, give that mother fucker Vick's job.

Few things will make you come close to losing your religion quite like being down 10-3 at the half.  GO STEELERS~!  QUIT GIVING ME HEART ATTACKS~! WE CANNOT AFFORD TO FUCKING LOSE WHEN CINCY IS STILL UNDEFEATED~~!

If our third string QB can keep the magic going, give that mother fucker Vick's job.

Mike Vick is horrible, I'd start Landry Jones until Big Ben gets back.  Vick averaged .75 yards per attempt yesterday.  You know how bad you have to be to not be able to get the ball to Antonio Brown?  He may very well be the best receiver in the league.  Josh Gordon had one of the best receiving seasons of all time with Weeden, Cambell, and Brian Hoyer throwing the ball.  It is almost impossible to make a wide receiver of that caliber a non factor.  I may or may not have Antonio Brown on my fantasy team.