DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL: WEEK THREE

Dolfan in NYC

The Bortles pick still baffles me. The Jags could have easily traded down, still got their guy, and got something else to go with it.

So... who were they going to trade with? Outside of Clowney slipping to #3, no one was going to trade up to that spot.

Buffalo gave up their #1 and the next year's #1 to Cleveland to jump up to the very next pick to get Watkins so Jacksonville very likely got SOME offers or could've gotten offers had they made it known they were willing to trade the pick.

DFA's point is pretty valid when you consider the only other QBs taken that year went late 1st/early 2nd round. Jax could've very easily moved down 10, perhaps 15 spots and still gotten Bortles (unless you're afraid other QB needy teams see him freefall and jump up to get him - which was likely their fear).

Anyway, I'm not a fan of Johnny Football at all but I've always felt you gotta give a guy at least a full season of starts before you can determine how good they are. I don't think it's the case with JFF but there were many QBs I think would've had decent careers had their teams just lived with the growing pains and given their young QB a chance to play rather than shuffling him in and out of the line-up constantly.

"10-15 spots?" Uh, no. Remember what Cleveland got for trading with Buffalo in that draft? Any team drafting in the 10-15 range that wants to move up to #3 is at minimum forking over almost half of their draft picks(or more) if they don't throw in picks for the next year to make up the difference. Most teams in the league aren't that stupid. Even if there were rumors of Caldwell getting offers for the pick, the asking price is potentially franchise-destroying if the player isn't a home-run(and sometimes it is even if it is a home-run, just ask the Falcons after they gave up so much in the Julio trade and it ended up destroying their defense).

The problem with trading down is let's say Buffalo trades up with Jax for Bortles. Jax has to hope Cleveland, Oakland, Tampa and Minnesota do not take Bortles. If you're a QB needy teams like the Jags were and you feel strongly about a QB, you don't trade back where there are at least four other teams with a chance to grab the QB you want.

I love Phil Simms praising the defense on the Cousins interception instead of trashing Kirk as he should have. I mean, he only stared down the receiver and then threw it to a defender who didn't have to move. How could that possibly be the quarterback's fault?

• Like 1

I just noticed my cable package includes NFL network now while flipping channels. Phil Simms killed my enthusiasm pretty quickly though. Too bad it isn't Mayock I really liked him doing Eagles games during the preseason.

Mayock did Vikings pre-season games for a while, too. Was great listening to him when it got to about the middle of the third quarter and he's spouting off random facts about a guy from whatever directional Michigan University or wherever else.

CBS has run 5289203 ads

So glad I decided to read Howard Bryant's Henry Aaron biography during the commercials. CBS seems to be running more than normal with the worst Being the one play break between commercials.