DVDVR Message Board

2013: UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/RUMORS/ETC

Dolfan in NYC

Tom Hiddleston will be replacing Benedict Cumberbatch as the lead in Guillermo del Toro's gothic horror epic, Crimson Peak.

Plot details are thin but since Tom is awesome and del Toro has yet to strike out on a gothic-themed movie, I think I am all in.

Nothing against Cumberbatch, but Hiddleston is aces.  He feels like a better fit for this project.

• Like 1

Has anyone seen The Grandmaster yet?  I just got back from it and I thought it was while a very good movie with some good action scenes, the story kind of dragged at places. I kind of preferred Ip Man with Donnie Yen over it.

I want to see the movie, but I'm not going to support the US version, which was chopped by 20+ minutes.

Wong Kar-Wai is an arthouse director best known for slow moving dramas.  Even though I really like most of his films, I can see how they can be a chore to sit through at times.

There's no shame in liking Ip Man.  The story is total whitewashed revisionist history propaganda courtesy of Mainland Chinese censorship, but there's no denying Donnie Yen is a phenomenal talent.  I'm glad he got his shit together and ego in check, otherwise he'd still be doing bit parts in western movies instead of being the new king of Hong Kong/Chinese martial arts.

I finally watched the Robocop trailer.

I'll never ever watch it - the original is probably top 10 for me - but good goddamn does it look horrid. Of course it drops in February, which means the studio also thinks it looks horrible. 

I immediately distrust the taste of those who think it looks good.

• Like 1

There's no shame in liking Ip Man.  The story is total whitewashed revisionist history propaganda courtesy of Mainland Chinese censorship, but there's no denying Donnie Yen is a phenomenal talent.  I'm glad he got his shit together and ego in check, otherwise he'd still be doing bit parts in western movies instead of being the new king of Hong Kong/Chinese martial arts.

This.  The more times I watch Hero, the more the politics of the movie start to get to me.

That being said, the fight between Nameless and Sky at the wequi parlor fucking rules.  Too bad my sword training is classical Kenjutsu, because I'd love to be able to wield that snowflake sword without cutting my toes off.

I just saw a commercial for Ron Howard's RUSH, and if I didn't know better, I'd accuse it of stealing SPEED RACER's plot.

I really get the feeling Rush is going to be one of those movies that the trailer does absolutely no justice to.   Take a look at the early Rotten Tomatoes reviews:  100%, 20 reviews in, most of them saying it could be the best sports movie of all time. 

I just saw a commercial for Ron Howard's RUSH, and if I didn't know better, I'd accuse it of stealing SPEED RACER's plot.

I really get the feeling Rush is going to be one of those movies that the trailer does absolutely no justice to.   Take a look at the early Rotten Tomatoes reviews:  100%, 20 reviews in, most of them saying it could be the best sports movie of all time. 

The first trailer was great, but the TV spots are bad.

• Like 1

The first trailer was great, but the TV spots are bad.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the story the movie is based on, and can't wait for the movie itself, but wow those TV spots are absolutely terrible.

I wonder if it was best for Donnie Yen to wait to being a star in Hong Kong after Jackie Chan and Jet Li both have basically for the most part left that market outside of an occasional movie.  So instead of being 3rd martial arts star he can be top king now.

It's wasn;t really Donnie's choice to wait.  Donnie was poised to be a big star in the 80s - he was under the tutelage of Yuen Woo Ping, who had helped a lot to get Jackie Chan established as a star.  He had a big breakout role in Once Upon a Time in China 2 and looked ot be joining the A level.  But he had long been his worst enemy - he didn't take direction well and pissed off people on the set.  Hong Kong film-making is a small family, so if you piss off people like Yuen Woo Ping and Tsui Hark, it's gonna be hard to find work - which is why Donnie ended up doing small roles in western productions.  I think doing these and directing his first couple of movies humbled him enough that he became easier to work with.  He has also been able to adapt more than some other MA stars - like throwing in MMA style moves in Flashpoint and SPL.

JK Rowling has sold the rights to Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them to WB for a new franchise set in the same world as Harry Potter.   It will not be a direct sequel/prequel to the Potter Series

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/09/12/jk-rowlingharry-potter-fantastic-beasts/

I am thinking too much about that Hip Hop movie because at first glance, the title of that JK Rowling dealie looked like Fantastic Beats and Where To Find Them.  I was like, "Get the fuck outta here!"

• Like 2