DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

Apparently my brother (who pre-ordered it for my birthday last March) chose the right place because when I picked up my copy, I walked in and out and had my copy in something like 30 seconds, well worth the half hour drive to get there.

Also, I just humped a dog from the POV of another dog.  Best game ever?

LOL, XBOX OWNERS ARE AS STUPID AS THEIR IDIOT MACHINES.

Gotta love racist wannabe rapping 12-year-olds that can't read or follow simple instructions.

It's also people installing the whole game so that it (supposedly) runs better - less pop up, drive noise, etc.

That is what I gleaned from reading part of a thread at NeoGAF, but those are nerds who can supposedly tell when the FPS in a game drops to 25 versus 30.

There is also the inevitable blowback (reviews were bought, game performs terribly, etc.) and of course the "I'm too cool to play GTA" crew.

Hey now -- I'm on NeoGAF and we're not THAT obsessive over it.

Although if you go by the Digital Foundry articles, there's not that big of a difference between the 360/PS3 versions. Some of the grass effects on the 360 version look a little worse than the PS3 version but it's not that big of a difference.

I'm assuming it's like San Andreas and driving isn't that great until you raise your stats up. I got stuck on the same race Gonzalez mentioned above and I usually never have problems with races in GTA games.

I tried to do the first stunt plane challenge. That didn't work out well.

Driving is ace now, I can go as fast as I want without mowing into everything. So many good, well built car models too. My car of choice, and I recommend it to all you simpletons, is the Mini.

The race sucked for me because I had a shit car but the trick, as always, is to get in front, drive cautiously when in front, and let the chasing back eat each other.

Shooting on the other hand is hell. I can't shoot out of a vehicle because the crosshair gets lost, and I find the control mapping to be a horrible mess. On top of that, there's too many things to do with the buttons.

I'm blowing off the main quest and just driving around trying to fill in the map, enjoying how big the map is and all, listening to the radio stations, and

Oh God FERNANDO MARTINEZ~! is back again, as a host on the Talk Radio station.

Did the first heist and shit got pretty intense pretty damn fast. What else did I do?- played fetch with Chop

- made it rain.

- tripped on weed

- gave both Michael and Franklin beards

- marked the fuck out with dat Nico Bellic reference

- shot and killed Packie randomly on the street

Driving is ace now, I can go as fast as I want without mowing into everything. So many good, well built car models too. My car of choice, and I recommend it to all you simpletons, is the Mini.

The race sucked for me because I had a shit car but the trick, as always, is to get in front, drive cautiously when in front, and let the chasing back eat each other.

Shooting on the other hand is hell. I can't shoot out of a vehicle because the crosshair gets lost, and I find the control mapping to be a horrible mess. On top of that, there's too many things to do with the buttons.

I like the shooting from what I've played so far.  It's obviously cribbed from Max Payne 3, but that is to be expected.  The cover and targeting is a lot better than in IV.  I haven't tried to do drive-bys yet though.

Overall I think the driving is better also - except for the camera lock-on when you are chasing someone, which is too confusing for me - it's just that race that sucks, probably because the car they point you to grab has crap handling and fishtails and/or spins out if a breeze goes by.  I'm going to try and jack one of the good sports cars from the car lot and then retry the race tonight.

I drove around the perimeter of the map, played a set of tennis, played 9 holes of golf, bought some clothes and...that was about it.  Oh, I killed, like, A LOT of people.  That too.

The completely seamless world is something to behold.

As much as I liked Saints Row IV, the world was pretty dull and didn't really compel me to explore.  This, on the other hand, is just fascinating.  There are so many little details that it is fun to tool around and see what you can find.

I like the shooting from what I've played so far.  It's obviously cribbed from Max Payne 3, but that is to be expected.  The cover and targeting is a lot better than in IV.  I haven't tried to do drive-bys yet though. Overall I think the driving is better also - except for the camera lock-on when you are chasing someone, which is too confusing for me - it's just that race that sucks, probably because the car they point you to grab has crap handling and fishtails and/or spins out if a breeze goes by.  I'm going to try and jack one of the good sports cars from the car lot and then retry the race tonight.

I personally love the fact we don't have that huge target lock-on thing or glowing pick-ups like guns or armour. The way they did it now is a lot more immersive. And I keep forgetting this isn't SR or GTA IV, you can actually die pretty easily in gun fights.And as far as that Street Race with the asian dude. Just use Franklin's Buffalo and use his special ability in corners to cut people off. Beat the race on my second try.

It's more immersive, but more difficult for me. I hope they'll patch in the ability to turn the glow on.

Story wise, I got as far as Franklin meeting Michael and then just goofed around. I am distressingly interested in going to the movies and watching cartoons after work. (The return of MOOREHEAD RIDES AGAIN from VCSC has me inordinately excited.)

I tried watching some of the TV at Franklin's house, but I did so after smoking weed.  That shit must be shermed up because the screen effects got to be so much that I couldn't even see the TV screen.

Then I drank too much beer and puked on the kitchen floor.

It's starting to sound like my college days ;)

So Radio X is a "history of L.A. Hardcore scene" station?

I literally pulled over to listen to Suicidal Tendencies on the pretend radio in my pretend car.

Driving is way more fun/better than it was in GTA IV.  (It could hardly be worse).

It's sad because that's how I end up playing it.  Damn it, I wish I can play this game like I'm a homicidal maniac, but sitting down to watch TV, and smoking a cigarette is so tempting.

Fuck the homicidal maniac shit dude, let's just sit in our car, watch the sunset, and listen to the radio.

My girlfriend, who has never seen a GTA game before, has been watching me play and often chides me for being so boring.  So I end up saying things like "I will go kill those guys when this goddamn Bob Seger song is over" a lot more than I ever thought I would.

• Like 3