DVDVR Message Board

NFL Stupidity in 2015

Dolfan in NYC

Camps are going, and it's time for a new thread.  

We'll begin with Goddell upholding Tom Brady's 4 game suspension for intentionally deflating balls. 

Brady and the NFLPA have threatened to sue in Federal Court. 

And away we go...

In the league’s release on the matter, they stated that “important new information disclosed by Brady and his representatives” during his appeal hearing came into play.

“On or shortly before March 6, the day that Tom Brady met with independent investigator Ted Wells and his colleagues, Brady directed that the cell phone he had used for the prior four months be destroyed,” the league statement read. “He did so even though he was aware that the investigators had requested access to text messages and other electronic information that had been stored on that phone. ‎During the four months that the cell phone was in use, Brady had exchanged nearly 10,000 text messages, none of which can now be retrieved from that device. The destruction of the cell phone was not disclosed until June 18, almost four months after the investigators had first sought electronic information from Brady.”

As a result, Goodell did not shorten his initial punishment, which will now certainly be headed to court.

“The commissioner found that Brady’s deliberate destruction of potentially relevant evidence went beyond a mere failure to cooperate in the investigation and supported a finding that he had sought to hide evidence of his own participation in the underlying scheme to alter the footballs.”

In the league’s release on the matter, they stated that “important new information disclosed by Brady and his representatives” during his appeal hearing came into play.

“On or shortly before March 6, the day that Tom Brady met with independent investigator Ted Wells and his colleagues, Brady directed that the cell phone he had used for the prior four months be destroyed,” the league statement read. “He did so even though he was aware that the investigators had requested access to text messages and other electronic information that had been stored on that phone. ‎During the four months that the cell phone was in use, Brady had exchanged nearly 10,000 text messages, none of which can now be retrieved from that device. The destruction of the cell phone was not disclosed until June 18, almost four months after the investigators had first sought electronic information from Brady.”

As a result, Goodell did not shorten his initial punishment, which will now certainly be headed to court.

“The commissioner found that Brady’s deliberate destruction of potentially relevant evidence went beyond a mere failure to cooperate in the investigation and supported a finding that he had sought to hide evidence of his own participation in the underlying scheme to alter the footballs.”

Brady does understand that Goodell doesn't have subpoena power right?  He didn't have to destroy his phone, he just could have told him he wasn't giving him his phone.  There is nothing he could have done about it, he'd at least have plausible deniability.  All he would have to say is that there is personal information and private photos of my family on that phone and Roger Goodell doesn't have the right to take it, and everyone would have agreed with him.  Destroying the phone just makes it look like you're hiding something.

• Like 1

This entire phone thing is a pretty good example of how detached from the real world the NFL really is.

Who in their right mind would turn their phone over to their boss in full knowledge that the contents are highly likely to end up made into public knowledge? The request is flat out crazy. Anyone that complies with that request is crazy, or incredibly desperate to keep their job.

• Like 1

This entire phone thing is a pretty good example of how detached from the real world the NFL really is.

Who in their right mind would turn their phone over to their boss in full knowledge that the contents are highly likely to end up made into public knowledge? The request is flat out crazy. Anyone that complies with that request is crazy, or incredibly desperate to keep their job.

Your phone is one of those things that I don't think you should give to anyone.  Not your significant other, your boss, the police, somebody is going to have to file some paperwork and get a judge's signature in order to take my phone.  Do you know how many ridiculous conversations, pictures, google searches, etc. I've done on my phone?  Just the collection of gifs I've sent my friends would make me look like some sort of crazy person, who is capable of anything. 

I will again theorize it's because he had naked pictures of people he's fucked other than Giselle on there.

I think you left out a few words.

Nobody wants to see naked pictures of Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck...oh you meant people he's fucked off the field.

• Like 2

I think Dolfan is closer to the truth than we realize.

I don't blame Brady for not giving the league his phone.  But he's brought a lot of this on himself by being stubborn.  He could have said "Yeah, I like my footballs a certain way.  The guys have worked with me for years, so we're at a point that we don't even talk about it anymore.  They simply know what I like.  None of this is on them.  I should have checked the balls more closely that day.  I took it for granted that they met NFL standards.  I'm really sorry."  He likely gets away with a hefty fine and no suspension if he played along even a little.  But Brady dug in, and now it looks 100 times worse than what it actually is.

As much as I hate to defend the guy, Goodell had to uphold the supsension.  Having Robert Kraft on mad at you is bad,, but having 31 other owners mad at you because you allow the Patriots to get away with breaking rules again is worse.

Destroying the phone is simply dumb.

The lack of concession from the Patriots at large is biting them on the nose on this one.  And they managed to make the league look reasonable and measured with this.  That takes a lot.

• Like 1

To show, in good faith, that he has nothing to hide?

There's a real good chance he was under orders, essentially, from the NFLPA to not turn over the phone. Can't start a precedent of letting the NFL have access to your personal phone.

He made absolutely the right decision to not turn it over, whether he destroyed it to accomplish that, or not.

• Like 1

Let's not forget that the NFL "punished" the Minnesota Vikings and Carolina Panthers for tampering with the footballs RIGHT THERE ON NATIONAL TV IN FULL VIEW OF EVERYONE by...sending them a letter.

HELL YEAH, Brady and the Patriots should have dug in and fought.

ESPECIALLY since the maximum penalty is right in the rulebook - a $25k fine, with no suspension.

At some point, digging in has diminishing returns.  I think if Brady had been contrite at the beginning, he'd be in the clear now without his phone ever being in question.

I agree about not turning over the phone.  But I don't think it had to come to that at all.

It doesn't help that the Patriots have Spygate on their resumes.  They had to know their next violation would cause serious ire.

It doesn't help that the Patriots have Spygate on their resumes. They had to know their next violation would cause serious ire.

Which is maybe why the Patriots themselves didn't fight the punishments. But Brady had nothing to do with Spygate so why should he get additional punishment because of that? Again, let's picture the scenario:

NFLPA/Brady Lawyer: Tom, the rulebook says $25k and no suspension, no matter what. The Vikings and Panthers did this crap on national TV and they got a freaking letter. You're golden. Pocket change at worst.

Tom: OK, cool.

Roger: Tom, lemme see the texts. All of them, including the ones with Giselle and the nekkid pics of JLaw.

NFLPA/Brady Lawyer (to Tom): Don't do it, Tommy. Bad precedent.

Tom: F-U. Gimme my $25k fine. (smashes phone)

Roger: (sets fire to rulebook)

Roger: You get 4 games, double the guy who knocked out his fiancee!

Tom: WTF?

• Like 1

Come on--Brady knew about Spygate.  He didn't implement it or set up the logistics.  But dude knew something.  At the very least, he's guilty by association.

Brady played this all wrong.  He didn't have to be so pig-headed,  Again, I don't blame him for not turning his phone.  I wouldn't have, either.  But just a little remorse would have allowed Brady to pretty much skate away from this.

When in doubt, realize that Goodell is subjective about punishment and try to head him off with a mea culpa.

• Like 1

I think this is part of the players plan- they're going to bait Goodell into being Goodell, than hammer him in court.  

The whole max punishment being $25k I think will be enough for there to be a good case. 

The only leverage the players really have in the end is to form their own league.  Maybe they can convince Vince to try the XFL again?

Come on--Brady knew about Spygate. He didn't implement it or set up the logistics. But dude knew something. At the very least, he's guilty by association.

That's like saying every single Saints player that was on the team during the bounty scandal should automatically get harsher penalties if they commit an infraction a decade later because...bounty. That's dumb.

And, again, max penalty - 25k, no suspension.

And again, let's point out that independent studies of the 'evidence' pretty much tore apart the Wells report.

And that the group that Wells used to come up with the conclusion has been in legal trouble in the past and was also involved in a case where they came up with the conclusion that second-hand smoke doesn't cause cancer despite scientific research to the contrary.