DVDVR Message Board

Raw 7-13-15

MGFanJay

I find myself in the odd position of agreeing with Burgundy(LOL).

I like how they structured the order of the introductions.  Everyone was expecting Charlotte and Sasha, so bringing out Becky first was a nice surprise.  Then everyone was primed for Charlotte and got her.  Then, just when it looked like we might NOT get Sasha, we got Naomi/Tamina's interjection and that segued into Sasha's arrival.

I thought that Divas segment was a fucking mess.  I don't get why Sasha would just join up with Tamina and Naomi.  Is it because they are all minorities?  I need to watch the Cesaro segment.  There really is nothing else of value on the show, right?

It's the Wrestling Rule of Minorities.  They must team or feud.

So does that mean Alicia is too light skinned to team with the darker skin women so they shoved her with the two Hispanic women?

I must consult the Vince McMahon Minority Power Rankings

Terrific Triple Threat match turning into Rusev vs. Cesaro. One of the best matches this year.

Yeah I loved that whole segment!  What a great match, those guys were laying it in last night!  Everyone in it but Owens flip-flopped from heel to face it seemed like too.  Cena has been so awesome as the wily veteran, and the story of him getting too cocky and almost letting his ego lose the belt to Rusev was great.  Rusev & Cesaro basically turning babyface in that match was so cool.  I hope they do an angle where Lana corrupts Dolph and they reveal the plan they made to screw Rusev over, because fuck I hate Dolph and want to cheer Rusev much more than him.  And if Cesaro isn't main eventing soon after the last few weeks I don't know what show the boss is watching.  What a fun show overall!  It seemed like all the matches got to go a little longer and breathe a bit more, and it felt like we got more in-ring action than usual. 

• Like 1

Stay in your line, Patrick. We ain't friends. (pushes him back in his place)  ^_^

And really, the women's segment is about as multicultural as you're going to get with WWE.  Two are from other countries, one is of Pacific Islander/Polynesian heritage, one is African American and married to a Samoan, another is African American, one is at least part African American (and possibly part Hispanic? Not sure) and two are Mexican-Italian.  The last one is Flairian. 

• Like 1

Well Cesaro was already a face, but yeah, Rusev came across as such an ass kicker and tough SOB in this match. And in spite of defeat, it really didn't hurt Cesaro because he looked amazing in defeat. I would even argue this kinda was a face turn... To the "smart" crowd at least.

For all the blah feelings I have with the booking, WWE has become hossville. Cena, Cesaro, Rusev, Owens, Reigns, Wyatt (on a good night), Harper, fucking Brock... So many ass kickers.

EDIT: Toss on Titus, Big E, Big Show, and Ryback. Yay Hoss Party!

And if Cesaro isn't main eventing soon after the last few weeks I don't know what show the boss is watching.

"Accents are funny..."

Speaking of which, everyone is sleeping on Rusev calling Owens a "French American." I howled.

Got a concussion Sunday so was fading in and out most of the night, but I loved the men's trios match. Titus got REALLY fun out of nowhere and everyone had their bumping shoes on. As for the women, I'm looking forward to their Open the Divas Gate title match down the line. They're setting the table for some really neat stuff there.

• Like 1

Stay in your line, Patrick. We ain't friends. (pushes him back in his place)  ^_^

'Tis cool.  I'm still an indie wrestling dork so people may mock me for that.

Dude, I'm joking with you.  We're cool, we're fine, we're sipping on summer wine as I put you in a playful headlock.  :D

It amuses me greatly that the daughter of Ric Flair does not know how to do a knife edged chop. 

Because WWE in their infinite logic, for the most of her time in training and NXT *didn't* want Charlotte to do Ric spots.

Dude, I'm joking with you.  We're cool, we're fine, we're sipping on summer wine as I put you in a playful headlock.  :D

NOW YOU SPILLED HIS WINE WITH YOUR HEADLOCK! WAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR!

• Like 1

I'd be perfectly good if they used the awfulness of Lana/Ziggler and used it to have Rusev turn and get back with Lana (Liz/Savage style) and have Ziggler turn heel, like he really should be.

Internets aren't the best places for the humors and sarcasms, I've found (especially as an alleged comedian).

Between wrestling and comedy, the line between fiction and reality is really blurry for me.  :)

I'd be perfectly good if they used the awfulness of Lana/Ziggler and used it to have Rusev turn and get back with Lana (Liz/Savage style) and have Ziggler turn heel, like he really should be.

I'd rather Lana come out with a black eye talking about how she really would really like to talk to Rusev...

• Like 3

In rewatching the segment - Alicia Fox having someone to face who is her height is really interesting to me

Also Tamina superkicking people will never get old

• Like 1

I'm almost sure now that Owens will lose on Sunday and then they'll probably do a 4-Way at Summerslam where Owens can win the title without having to pin Cena.

They've already announced the Bàlor vs. Owens rematch for the next Takeover, which Owens has to lose and I don't know, if they would have a reigning WWE title holder losing on a NXT show.

• Like 1

Why wouldn't they have a WWE title holder putting over the NXT (world) Champion? I never thought even as popular as she is that a non-contracted Blue Pants would get a clean pinfall win over a NXT contracted wrestler.

Also if you Owens/Balor isn't the main event, Balor can start kicking ass, he does for the Coup De Grace and then Owens rolls out, takes the US Title with him and says that the US title is more important than the NXT Championship

On top of that, the true impact won't happen for a few more months since Nikki still has to beat out "Mrs. Quitter"'s title reign record.

You keep saying that, but I really don't think they give a fuck about that.
I think they do since that was one of the points Nikkie made in her promo.

On this point, I have to agree with Big Fresh. You can tell they don't have too much bad blood with AJ because they mention her by name, unlike her husband whose title reign is far less likely to ever be surpassed. If anything, I feel like it's a setup for Nikki to lose before Day 300 (probably Summer Slam or the night after).

As far as the overall impact of the women's  (Hey WWE, if you wanna be really progressive, quit branding them as "divas") segment, I think the important thing to remember is that this is basically a total reset of the division. Long term continuity isn't the most important thing here because it's really about just infusing a lot of high-end talent at once. The segment may not have made a ton of sense, but the NXT women all got good pops and the whole thing was way over with the crowd which is a lot more important. This segment accomplished exactly what it was intended to, and I doubt it's too long before these alliances are broken up and they settle into what they really want to do (building the division around Paige, Charlotte, Sasha, and Becky).

That US title segment was top notch stuff. Welcome to the new age of big guys where they'll do big power moves, but throw in some high flying too. Cesaro was on point as usual, the only thing separating him from 2012-13 Daniel Bryan is a money-making catchphrase. He's so close to breaking the fuck out. This is also undoubtedly the best Rusev as ever looked in the ring, or in terms of booking. He went move for move with two kings of the indies and looked like he belonged. Even better was the follow up where he survived heel Cena and nearly had a star-making moment before the heat went back to Owens, which is fine in this context. The counter of the AA into the Accolade was beautiful. I won't get too hyperbolic about the match itself (still way behind Lesnar/Cena/Rollins, and Kidd/Cesaro/Ziggler from last year) but it was a lot of fun that helped everyone involved.

The Brock/Rollins segment played out exactly like it should. I'm certainly glad Kane was written off, and Brock brought it like he always does, but Rollins impressed me the most this segment. I've raved about Owens' heel work, specifically in NXT, but there is not a better heel going in WWE than Rollins right now. He's just so unlikeable in every way. He doesn't cut funny promos, uses what should be big-pop offense in the cheapest ways possible, and uses his superior speed primarily to run out of the arena at the first sign of danger. The way he left Kane high and dry, then came back well after Brock left and threw a pissant tantrum compared to what Brock did last week was just low. He actually made me feel sympathy for Kane, a guy I've wanted off tv for years. He even fucking ran after he stomped a guy's broken leg.

If they play the Battleground match straight with no interferrence, it has a very good chance of being the runaway MOTY. You know both guys have the talent, but the character dynamic with Seth as the ultimate hit-and-run coward and Brock as the ultimate wrecking ball is just stars-aligning perfect at this moment. I haven't looked forward to a match this much since the first Shield/Wyatts tag.

Loved the Diva segment.  Personally, I would have maybe tossed away the Diva term as well and returned it to a Women's division (Which I understand is not going to happen what with Total Divas, and all).  Love Nikki's new nickname of being 'The Total Diva'.  Honestly, I've really loved everything about Nikki's run at the top of the division which is not something I would have ever imagined myself saying a year ago when suffering through those terrible Nikki-Brie promos.

I thought that Divas segment was a fucking mess.  I don't get why Sasha would just join up with Tamina and Naomi.  Is it because they are all minorities?  I need to watch the Cesaro segment.  There really is nothing else of value on the show, right?

Kayfabe-wise, why WOULDN'T Sasha join up with Tamina/Naomi at the behest of her boss.  Again, kayfabe-wise, if you're wrestling in NXT and Stephanie McMahon calls you up and says you're going to be teaming up with Tamina/Naomi on Raw you say "Yes, ma'am, thank you, ma'am." because it's fucking WWE Raw.  I mean, in your version, Stephanie McMahon (Again kayfabe-wise), calls up Sasha says to come to Raw to team with Tamina and Naomi and Sasha should say "No, I don't know them so I'm just going to stay in the minor leagues."

On top of that, the true impact won't happen for a few more months since Nikki still has to beat out "Mrs. Quitter"'s title reign record.

You keep saying that, but I really don't think they give a fuck about that.

I really don't either, otherwise they wouldn't bring up her name...EVER.  Remember when WWE put the belt on Randy Orton so that Brock Lesnar would no longer be the youngest champion ever.  IIRC, they NEVER mentioned Brock's name, they never said Randy Orton is the youngest world champion, even younger than Brock Lesnar, they made it all about Orton and Lesnar was persona non grata.

I find myself in the odd position of agreeing with Burgundy(LOL).

I like how they structured the order of the introductions.  Everyone was expecting Charlotte and Sasha, so bringing out Becky first was a nice surprise.  Then everyone was primed for Charlotte and got her.  Then, just when it looked like we might NOT get Sasha, we got Naomi/Tamina's interjection and that segued into Sasha's arrival.

That was pretty brilliant.  I was watching and going "Hmm, weird that they're bringing up Becky and Charlotte but not Sasha" then when they did bring out Sasha she got the biggest pop, because she was last.

I really hope this leads to more than on Divas segment a night.  I also would really like to see a Divas Tag Title.  There's more than enough female wrestlers around now.

It's the Wrestling Rule of Minorities.  They must team or feud.

So does that mean Alicia is too light skinned to team with the darker skin women so they shoved her with the two Hispanic women?

They all look the same to Vince.