DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Clichés That Should Be Abolished

The only way Roman's run ins make sense if he texts the sound guy before he does a run in. But that just begs another question, 

Who the fuck sees their friend getting beat up and decides that they'll only save them after the sound guy plays their music?

The only way Roman's run ins make sense if he texts the sound guy before he does a run in. But that just begs another question,

Who the fuck sees their friend getting beat up and decides that they'll only save them after the sound guy plays their music?

Or take five minutes walking down the stairs from the top of the arena.

I was getting a little excited for the WWE July 4 show until I realized that it would look probably exactly like every other WWE show.  The homogeonousness really needs to die.  I was catching up on Evolve over the weekend and the show I started to watch took place in a nightclub in New York.  The lighting and the building were completely different than their last show and it was awesome.  It's a weird thing but when wrestling shows look different like that, they seem more urgent, immediate and "real."  There's a sense of place that's non-existent when watching WWE which feels like it takes place in some bland, formless, neverending wrestling purgatory.  It's seriously some Twilight Zone shit when I turn on Raw and everything (with a few small exceptions), from the writing to the people to the look of the show, is the same as it was last week, last month and last year.

• Like 1

It doesn't help that most arenas now have zero character, either.  The old buildings had their own identities and looks.  Good luck telling one arena apart from another now.  That's not a problem wrestling created, but this adds to the feeling of sameness.

I can buy the music thing somewhat. Maybe there's a guy in Gorilla who sees someone coming and hits the button to cue their music and tron. 

Music for Roman Reigns run-ins makes no sense though since he doesn't pass through Gorilla and just seems to hang out with the fans. 

Maybe the security dudes give him a heads up? That's always been what I thought ever since the Shield showed up on WWE TV.

It may have been mentioned, but;

Finishers not finishing a match needs to go the fuck away.

As do big finishing level moves not finishing a match either.

Or take five minutes walking down the stairs from the top of the arena.

Worked for Sandman.

• Like 2

Oh, while we're at it: heels that stop their beatdown on the face to stare at the face as he walks down the aisle.  Sandman's gonna take like five minutes to get to the ring, guys, you can probably at least grab a weapon or something for when he finally makes it.  Or, y'know, just keep pounding the face into goo.  Or, y'know, leave.

At least some guys were smart enough to go grab a chair whenever the Shield showed up. 

How many big finishing moves are left? Show's KO Punch, Taker's Jumping Tombstone, Enzo's Tag In Cass, Kevin Owens Apron Powerbomb?

How many big finishing moves are left? Show's KO Punch, Taker's Jumping Tombstone, Enzo's Tag In Cass, Kevin Owens Apron Powerbomb?

Rybacks BIG GUY SPLASH!

Never been kicked out of.  Instant death.

I just saw this lame spot that needs to die last night but it's been around for quite a while. 

TJ Perkins has Mike Bailey in an ankle lock.  Bailey scratches and claws finally manages to touch the bottom rope, but Perkins hangs onto the hold and pulls Bailey back to the middle of the ring.  Ref doesn't break the hold.

This spot is so dumb and needs to go away.  There's never been a rule that says he needs to grab hold of the ropes or touch them for X amount of time.  When a guy touches the ropes, the hold is supposed to be broken, period. 

I just saw this lame spot that needs to die last night but it's been around for quite a while. 

TJ Perkins has Mike Bailey in an ankle lock.  Bailey scratches and claws finally manages to touch the bottom rope, but Perkins hangs onto the hold and pulls Bailey back to the middle of the ring.  Ref doesn't break the hold.

This spot is so dumb and needs to go away.  There's never been a rule that says he needs to grab hold of the ropes or touch them for X amount of time.  When a guy touches the ropes, the hold is supposed to be broken, period. 

I remember the Brock/Kurt match from SS03 where that happened. Brock kept making the ropes and Angle kept pulling him back with no break. I know the ref was bumped for at least one of the rope breaks/pull backs but I'm fairly certain he saw the others and never told Angle to break the hold. They never explained that.

I'd be curious how the ring-based MMAs handle that sort of rope break situation. Is it a carry over from that, much like how Shamrock made it harder for people to sell submission holds because pounding the mat = tapping out.

Yeah, look at older matches, and it wasn't enough to just touch the rope with your hand or foot; you had to make more solid contact, wrapping a limb around it or making rope contact with your head or torso. Of course, the real answer is "there's no true, universally established Book Of Wrestling Rules and there probably never has been". I could see an argument that if the contact with the rope is broken before the five-count (i.e., Kurt Angle drags whomever back into the center of the ring) that then there's no reason for the hold to be broken.

Cowards don't involve themselves in boxing, MMA, football or even soccer,

Don't watch much Soccer then?

Actually, who was the last heel to 'dive'* and try to get his opponent disqualified when they'd done nothing wrong? It was Eddy, wasn't it? Guys don't even complain about having their hair pulled after an armdrag any more.

* 'Flop' in Basketball terms. Fake being hit with an illegal technique.

Cowards don't involve themselves in boxing, MMA, football or even soccer,

Don't watch much Soccer then?

Actually, who was the last heel to 'dive'* and try to get his opponent disqualified when they'd done nothing wrong? It was Eddy, wasn't it? Guys don't even complain about having their hair pulled after an armdrag any more.

* 'Flop' in Basketball terms. Fake being hit with an illegal technique.

The "pretend you got hit in the nuts and get your opponent DQed" has been done in Chikara several times, usually in a multi-fall match.