DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

Got the nexus 5 yesterday. The version I ordered was the 32gb in black. There are some things I like about it and some that I don't.

The size is great. It has a fairly big screen but the phone itself due to the thin bezel and overall thinness of the phone make it fit well in hand. The volume and power buttons are ceramic and feel well made but honestly I'd prefer plastic because these things are sharp and not that comfortable.

The phone itself feels well made but not as elegant as the nexus 4 to me. Probably because it's much lighter and it's got a rubberized plastic back versus the glass construction of the nexus 4. And to be honest it's not the prettiest phone in the world.

On performance, the phone is lightning fast which is what I'd expect out of a nexus phone with this processor in it. Everything is buttery smooth and I haven't encountered any hiccups yet at all.

I haven't messed with the camera yet and it hasn't gotten the best reviews but the nexus 4 camera got subpar reviews and I didn't have any problem with it. I haven't used it long enough to get a feel for the battery but it's the same size as the battery in the nexus 4 and that wasn't the greatest in battery life so we will see. That is one thing the g2 has going for it, it has a large battery.

Overall I'd say I'm not all that excited about this phone. It doesn't do anything or have any particular feature that wows me and the physical design of it is really plain and utilitarian. The screen is beautiful though but a beautiful screen can be had on most of the flagship phones at this point. I'm going to give it a bit more time before I make a decision and to also get used to the kit Kat os.

Changing my position. I love the phone. The more I've used it the more I appreciate the physical design of it. It is easily the fastest phone I've used also and possibly the best screen. It really seems like everything is painted on top of the screen. The only negative I'd give it at this point would be the battery. With heavy use it seems to go about 12 hours.

Kit Kat gets a positive review at this point also. I like the integration and use of hangouts as the SMS/MMS app.

I typically sell my old phone and that offsets the cost of the new one.

That's what I tell my wife anyway. It didn't work out like that last time since I could never make my mind up on whether I wanted to keep the iPhone 5 or the nexus 4. So I still have both of those to sell. The nexus was only $249 off contract though.

I'm on the fence when it comes to a new phone. From a price/benchmark perspective it seems like the Nexus 5, G2, or Xperia Z1 would be the logical choices. (I'm a T-Mobile user.) Yet at the same time I never find myself feeling that my phone is slow(I'm a Nexus 4 owner), that I need a bigger screen, or that my camera isn't good enough. In fact the only thing that probably ever slightly bothers me is battery life which still isn't a deal breaker for me with my Nexus 4. Really as a large tech specs just don't excite or do much for me anymore, which means that the only phone that is really speaking to me is the Moto X. But even with the price drop to $499, I just don't know if there's enough there for me spend money on a new phone when I really don't need one. I imagine I'll probably wait and see what state the Nexus 4 is in after Kit Kat is officially released for it and the dev-community has some time to play around with it.

The Moto X was the phone I chose when I went back to ATT and I really liked the phone in terms of its features and it's size. It didn't have the specs but it didn't matter when you used the phone because it was still so smooth. The killer for me was the screen. I just can't get down with those amoled displays. Those crazy bright neon looking oranges and reds are just so horrible and unnatural looking to me. So I had to return it.

Anybody know of a set of wireless headphones that does NOT require bluetooth?  I'm trying to find something my wife can use to listen to her Kindle Fire wirelessly and am not really finding anything.  I've seen some setups for TVs but they seem like they'd be a little bulky for what she's trying to do.  Any suggestions?

The Moto X was the phone I chose when I went back to ATT and I really liked the phone in terms of its features and it's size. It didn't have the specs but it didn't matter when you used the phone because it was still so smooth. The killer for me was the screen. I just can't get down with those amoled displays. Those crazy bright neon looking oranges and reds are just so horrible and unnatural looking to me. So I had to return it.

I'm currently rocking a Moto X and I frickin' adore it. Maybe it's my underdog love, maybe it's the solidity of the design or how absurdly perfectly it fits in my hand, but despite only receiving it about two weeks ago, I think it's my favorite phone ever, second only MAYBE to the HTC Evo 4G. It's also the first Android phone I've had that I haven't rooted and I've had multiple Nexii and quite alot of other Android phones. I think the Moto Android build is literally perfect. I use active notifications and touchless control constantly.

The only knock I have is the combination of 16GB internal storage and no SD card slot. ****1/2.

The site I use whenever I want questions answered or to see price comparisons/reviews is head-fi.org.  Awesome forums with a ton of info.  They have some great reviews that group things together according to price range also. 

Tabe that might be a good site to check out for what you're looking for also although I really drew a blank when trying to think of options for that category that don't involve extra equipment. 

The SO got me a Micro Boom Bluetooth speaker for my birthday and I can definitely recommend it if you're in the market for one. Really sturdy and has very good sound for the price ($30 or so from what I saw online).

A bit of extra equipment is OK - a small transmitter plugged into the headphone jack or something - but what I've seen so far have been bulky or just stupid.

This is on sale RIGHT NOW!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GTO07O

Looks like a tiny transmitor. 

Edit:  I don't know if this will work on a Kindle...shit.  I got so excited there I didn't really read the mammoth product profile...sorry Tabe.

One of my laptop's fans has started acting very strange. A couple of times now randomly it starts making a *ton* of noise. Luckily turning it off for a few minutes seems to solve the problem. I keep a temp sensor running all the time and the first time it spiked like crazy too, so it might just be clogged I guess.

I have never opened a laptop before (was inside several desktops in the OLDEN DAYS), the idea terrifies me thus. But looks like I might have to dive in.

At least I have an external hard drive to back shit up just in case it explodes or something. Such a good investment for at least some peace of mind. But even having to buy a cheap new laptop would really bite right now.

Anybody know of a good replacement keyboard for Android that: A) allows swype-style text input; and B) has a separate row for numbers entry so you don't have to hold down letters or switch to numbers mode to enter them?  My wife's Note 3 phone has this and I'd love to get it on my Nook HD+. 

Has anyone ever run into problems doing a cell phone upgrade to an existing plan through Amazon or has the process been easy?

I did it once, super easy, had no issues whatsoever.  I had Verizon, for whatever that matters, but I just followed the instructions they gave and it just took a few minutes.  To be fair I didn't transfer anything, I guess that part would be easier to do in store but actually getting the phone to work wasn't any issue.

Okay - so we are debating possibly asking all the grandparents to pool their money to get a laptop for our son.

Basically all he needs is the ability to get on the internet (fuck just the ability to use Youtube so he wouldn't have to take my work iPad all the time)... and probably be able to play Minecraft on that.

What are the inexpensive options to look at?

Or should I just go the Kindle Fire route (though that would crush his Minecraft dreams)?

Pretty much any laptop you buy will be just fine.  I would avoid HP brand laptops as their rep is poor.  Look for at least 6 gigs of RAM.  You can get a really useful laptop for $350, easily.

Check these sites:

www.gotapex.com

www.slickdeals.net

www.dealdetectives.com

Can you minecraft on a chromebook?

That actually was going to be my next question

The interwebs seems to imply that you can if you first "root" your chromebook but considering I have no fucking clue what that means...

Has anyone ever run into problems doing a cell phone upgrade to an existing plan through Amazon or has the process been easy?

Did it with AT&T, no issues from Amazon's end.  Only thing that was odd is that it took a couple hours for it to transfer my contacts through AT&T's cloud backup.  Outside of that, one phone call and it was all set up.  That and something went wacky on the AT&T end and my plan got shifted from the 4GB shared to 6GB shared and voice mail was turned off.  One call to Customer Service fixed all that though, no issues.

Considering I got a Galaxy S3 for $10 off the Amazon upgrade, I can live with one 10 minute call to AT&T to get my plan sorted.