DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

If you bought phones directly from Tmobile then they aren't unlocked phones.  Tmobile and most other carriers will unlock them for you but only if you've been a consistent customer typically.  Not many phones you can get unlocked brand new.  But pretty much any phone on the market can easily be unlocked if they don't do it for you.  

It's idiotic that paying unsubsidized prices for phones still locks you into a carrier.

Google sold Motorola to Lenovo.

I'm very, very disappointed. I suppose it's possible Lenovo stays the course, which would mean I get my much desired Moto X sequel, but - much more likely - I imagine we get cheap Chinese phones with the Moto M slapped on them. I'm not one for jingoism, but it's unfortunate we are losing yet another iconic American brand to the Chinese.

Well, Lenovo doesn't seem to have let the Thinkpad line become a bunch of crap since buying IBM's personal computing business, so there is reason to be optimistic about future Motorola phones.

If you bought phones directly from Tmobile then they aren't unlocked phones.  Tmobile and most other carriers will unlock them for you but only if you've been a consistent customer typically.  Not many phones you can get unlocked brand new.  But pretty much any phone on the market can easily be unlocked if they don't do it for you.  

It's idiotic that paying unsubsidized prices for phones still locks you into a carrier.

It only does if you buy it from a carrier.  It's kind of lame.  But a carrier doesn't really want to sell a phone to you for you to just buy it and take somewhere else.  What did you end up getting?

How does she like using it as a phone? From the reviews I read, that's where the Note 3 seems to falter.

Other than our usual "suddenly the other person can't hear you anymore" that we get from T-Mobile, she seems to like it just fine.  It's almost exclusively used in speakerphone mode, if that matters to you.

I said fuck it and bought unlocked phones off ebay.  Ended up pay $900 total, instead-of T-mobile's $1293.

Now I just hope they actually work when they get here.

ETA: I should say I ended up with a green 16GB iPhone 5c (factory unlocked, hooray) and a "Blue Arctic" 16GB Samsung Galaxy s 4  (AT&T, but deemed unlocked)

The S4 has a two week return window, so I think I'm covered in any case.

• Like 1

No need for 3G and the ad supported version isn't a hassle either.  It's just that the screen saver is ads instead of pictures of pretty pencils.

Is it just for books?  Or, like, PDFs and stuff?

It'll support pdfs, yes.

I'm thinking about jumping from AT&T to T-Mobile for my cell phone. I currently have an iPhone 3GS (yes, I know) and pay about $115 a month for AT&T's shoddy service, T-Mobile has a deal where I can get an iPhone 5C and a 2.5gb plan for $87 a month for 24 months and then $60 following that.

I've had AT&T for around 7 years, anyone have any experience or thoughts on T-Mobile's current service and the iPhone 5C?

- ATT has great service typically

- I love T-Mobile and their pricing but you need to find out what kind of coverage you get in your area because it isn't the best.

- There is no reason at this point to get an iPhone if you're getting a new phone. They used to have quite a few advantages but they are very much behind when compared to top android phones now.

- That plan you listed doesn't seem like it's that great of a deal. Seems like the typical price you'd pay for that type of plan. If you want to save money on a plan go with a prepaid where you don't finance the cost of the phone. I'd recommend the Nexus 5 and Moto X and then just pop in a sim card and you're done.

Tmobile actually has a plan for $30/month that's unlimited data, texting and 100 minutes of talk, which isn't really a hassle because you can just use the free Vonage app to make calls.

If you can afford an unlocked phone off eBay, it's really quite the deal. Kind of a PITA to find a nano SIM in the wild, but a couple of places will cut a regular/micro SIM down for you (including Best Buy)

As for the 5C, I was surprised by how... Sturdy it felt compared to my GS4, but my wife hasn't had any complaints about it, and it was so easy to transfer everything via iTunes back up from her iPod!

I'm thinking about jumping from AT&T to T-Mobile for my cell phone. I currently have an iPhone 3GS (yes, I know) and pay about $115 a month for AT&T's shoddy service, T-Mobile has a deal where I can get an iPhone 5C and a 2.5gb plan for $87 a month for 24 months and then $60 following that.

I've had AT&T for around 7 years, anyone have any experience or thoughts on T-Mobile's current service and the iPhone 5C?

I'd probably argue that if you're going with T-Mobile post-paid you'd probably might as well spend the extra $10 and go with the unlimited everything plan for $70. I've been on the T-Mobile pre-paid $30(5 GB of 4G data, unlimited texts, 100 minutes) plan for about two and a half years and you can't beat the price if you don't make a lot of calls. I have been thinking of going post-paid and switching to the $70 plan for the simple fact that no T-Mobile based pre-paid service supports conditional call forwarding which is annoying for Google Voice users.

Wireless service is definitely a YMMV will vary depending on your city and even more so the area that you live in. Personally where I live I get pretty much LTE service 95% of the city with a couple spots where I'll get service but just not LTE.  Chief complaint for most people with T-Mobile will be that once you exit metropolitan areas you're going see a drop in quality. In my travels I've rarely seen myself have no service at all but most of the time you'd be hard pressed to do anything besides make a call or send a text.

And remember with T-Mobile you're essentially just paying for the phone spaced out over the months. So if you can find the T-Mobile compatible phone you want, or any other phone for that matter, cheaper you can always just buy it and walk into a T-Mobile store and purchase the appropriate SIM for it. Plus check with your job, bank/credit union, alumni association, etc... and see if they have a discount plan set up with T-Mobile. It won't help if you buy a phone through T-Mobile but it will save you on your monthly plan.

If you're on the prepaid plan and don't GET a lot of calls, pick up the Vonage app, it'll give you 3500 minutes of talk time a month for free, and you can use your actual cell number instead-of being forced to get a new one like with other VOIP providers

Finally bought a new phone this weekend.  Ended up going with the LG G2.  I tried several others, most recently the Sony Xperia Z1S, and settled on the G2.  I was considering the Note 3 but the G2 was $200 cheaper, which made it an easy decision.  Was not thrilled with the camera on the Z1S - and that's supposed to be its selling point.  So far, I am very pleased with the G2.  It's very fast, gets better reception than my old Galaxy S2, and the screen is spectacular.  Good size, too, at 5.2". 

I gotta say, I really want an LG G-Flex. I know, I know, 720p, unwieldy large screen, horrid LG interface.

But dem curves, yo. And it runs on Spark which is dumb fast, at least here in NYC.

That said, I don't want it enough to pay three bills. I guess my Motox is staying put a while.

(DISCLAIMER: I am a Sprint employee. The views expressed in this post are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the views of Sprint Corporation, Softbank or any of our partners, including but not limited to LG or Motorola.)

I looked at the Flex but the price and the relatively low-quality screen turned me off.  It IS cool that you can bend the phone and flatten it out and stuff.  That said, I think I would hate carrying a curved phone in my pocket.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've got a very weird issue with my Galaxy Tab 3. WiFi is completely down- except for Dolphin Browser. Also, downloads aren't going through (they all hang). Has this happened to anyone else? I just find it really weird that wifi would work with one program and nothing else...

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, still gonna keep rocking my Moto X, but my latest phone crush is 100% for sure the new HTC One (m8). The design is ridiculous, even more elegant than last year or to my eyes, the iPhone 5S, the processor and display are both top notch and they added an SD card. I can't justify replacing the Moto, but I really, really want to.

(DISCLAIMER: I am a Sprint employee. The views expressed in this post are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the views of Sprint Corporation, Softbank or any of our partners, including but not limited to HTC, Apple or Motorola.)