DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

That's how most companies are doing it now. It used to be a big deal to me but with streaming and cloud storage now, I don't need much space on my on my phone. I actually went with the 8gb version of the Nexus 4 and had no issues.

Tabe don't stay down on HTC. They make great handsets. The HTC One is the best built phone out right now. The Samsung galaxy phones have been cheaply built plasticy garbage for hardware with a ton of bloat ware for a while now. If you get a GPE version then you eliminated the crappy bloat ware at least but the phone still pales in comparison to the one except in the camera department.

It sure sounds like the Nexus 5 will be a slightly modified version of the LG G2.  If that's true, from what I'm reading about the G2, that's the phone I'll be getting.  The reviews I've seen so far of the G2 have been great - awesome screen, screaming fast CPU/GPU, and so on.  And the main complaint - LG's interface and some bloatware - won't be an issue if you're running vanilla Android.  Curious to see if they can bring it in at a price ($399?) that's in-line with what we saw with previous Nexus phones as opposed to the current prices for LG G2s ($600).

I gotta say, I've never been an Apple guy. My total Apple ownership in life has been a fishbowl iMac way after that was old and an iPod Nano. I'm an Android guy through and through.

I'm seriously considering a 5S. 64GB in Space Gray, please.

All the things I dislike - exorbitant cost, non expandable everything - are still true but the combination of the hardware and software is epic this time out, Apple is finally not way behind in specs and iOS7 is beautiful and very functional, even if alot of the iconography is terrible.

I'm certain I'll puss out and get the LG G2 as I've always planned to, ever since I activated my HTC 8XT and attempted and failed to love Windows Phone, but I'm fucking digging the 5S.

All the things I dislike - exorbitant cost, non expandable everything - are still true but the combination of the hardware and software is epic this time out, Apple is finally not way behind in specs and iOS7 is beautiful and very functional, even if alot of the iconography is terrible.

Speaking of...I took the risk and updated to ios7.  So far battery life is okay.  But I can say that I'm really enjoying iTunes Radio.  It's way more flexible than the "discover" thing on Spotify, like Pandora, but  the catalog is way deeper than Pandora, like Spotfy.  So it's kind of the best of both.  I already have iTunes match so it's commercial free and unlimited.

A quick example.  I started a Phillip Glass station, and it surprised be by pretty quickly guiding me to stuff I had never heard of, including this sort of "classical" piece by Zoe Keating from Rasputina:

and this piece by Vladimir Martynov:

I seriously doubt Pandora's Phillip Glass offerings go very deep or would be very interesting like that, and while SPotify might...it would show up in your suggestions like days later.

iOS 7 is a pile of shit. Apple could get away with lagging behind in software features and customization for a long time because their devices run so smooth and it could be overlooked. But now there's plenty of android devices out that run just as smooth. On top of it being extremely kiddy looking and visually ugly it's caused my iPad to now become laggy when it has never been before. I didn't update my phone. Not that it matters since I'm getting a Moto X anyway. But the release of the 5s and iOS 7 at a time when I'm in the market for a new phone actually made my decision to leave apple pretty easy.

• Like 1

I absolutely did not use an LG G2 three days ahead of its release. I did not see how super light it is. I did not take note of its blazing fast speed. I did not see its ridiculously gorgeous screen. Nope, none of that happened today.

iOS 7 is a pile of shit. Apple could get away with lagging behind in software features and customization for a long time because their devices run so smooth and it could be overlooked. But now there's plenty of android devices out that run just as smooth. On top of it being extremely kiddy looking and visually ugly it's caused my iPad to now become laggy when it has never been before. I didn't update my phone. Not that it matters since I'm getting a Moto X anyway. But the release of the 5s and iOS 7 at a time when I'm in the market for a new phone actually made my decision to leave apple pretty easy.

Ok, so I'm not the only one with a laggy iPad post-iOS 7. It isn't even just the home screen that's laggy either, but nearly every app has moments of lag. Before the update, I never had a single problem with Carcassonne, but now there is a delay after each touch. The keyboard has noticeable lag as well or doesn't even register a button press. I like my iPad and iPhone because I don't have to futz around with much anything, everything just works, but the innovators are being left behind in the dust.

I got my Moto X in the mail yesterday.  It's pretty cool.  The design I made came out looking really good.  I got an Olive colored back with metallic yellow buttons and black front.  I'm not that into the voice command thing, I never really used Siri either, so I can take that or leave it.  The active notifications feature is nice.  Every time you look at the phone the time and notifications are displayed.  And it doesn't kill battery either.  The build quality is really good.  I love the fact that the back is a soft rubbery plastic and not a shiny piece of polycarbonate that's a finger print magnet.  It's also the perfect size in my opinion.  Slim bezels on either size of the 4.7" screen make this phone really the perfect size for one handed use.  It's plenty fast as well. 

What I don't like about the phone:  The screen.  And it might be a deal breaker.  I was on the fence about it originally but now that I've used it for a while I don't know if I can handle it.  At least not on a flagship priced phone.  The AMOLED stuff that Samsung puts out and this Moto X as well is just so over saturated in color it makes it look like garbage.  Orange and red make you feel like your eyes are burning.  It's not natural looking at all.  Especially not coming from a Nexus 4 and iPhone 5 which are the best displays out there in my opinion along with the HTC One. 

So I have to figure out what to do.  What I want to do is eventually end up with the Nexus 5 which should be out in October or November.  So I'll either just sell the Moto X and use my Nexus 4 until the 5 comes out or go return the Moto X for a G2 and use that until the Nexus 5 comes out.  I just don't want the bloatware that comes with the G2 and I don't really want the buttons on the back, not because I think it would be uncomfortable to use it's just because I wouldn't want anything other than a flat back for purposes of setting the phone down on a surface.  It's just an invitation for scratches and dings.  The same thing for phones with a large camera bump on the back.  Oh well. 

Although I am not at all a fan of the crippled version of Android (despite fully understanding why Amazon does it) those new Kindle Fire HDX tablets look pretty much amazing.  Faster, lighter, better display...

Although I am not at all a fan of the crippled version of Android (despite fully understanding why Amazon does it) those new Kindle Fire HDX tablets look pretty much amazing.  Faster, lighter, better display...

Other than the crippled android, I like the look of the HDX over the new nexus. didn't like the form factor on the nexus. If I didn't already have my nook HD+, I'd be interested.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I'll need to see the Nexus 5 in-hand.  I've been eagerly looking forward to it - though I somehow missed the announcement yesterday - but am still unsure if it's the phone I want.  I'm torn between the Nexus 5 and the Xperia Z1 at the moment.  The Z1 has a much better camera but is that worth $250-$300?  Probably not.

I am curious to see what T-Mobile ends up charging for the Nexus 5.  The Nexus 4 had a list price of $299 direct from Google but the T-Mobile version is frigging $429.  That's crazy.

I'm also considering the LG G2 though I've heard not-great things about the software on that one.

So one of those three for me, almost certainly.

I've heard mixed reviews on the g2 in terms of software issues. I've heard their overlay is like touchwiz but not as bad and I've heard others say its horrible. Samsungs touchwiz is pretty lame but it's not the worst thing in the world. I just don't like the rear buttons on the g2 because it won't lay flat. I definitely prefer pure vanilla android or the htc sense overlay.

The G2 has a slightly bigger screen and a better camera which is what has me considering it.

The Nexus 5 has pure Android, which has me considering IT.

The Z1 has the best camera of the 3, which has me considering IT.

And then I look at my wife's Note 3 and think "Man, that thing is awesome..."