DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

garbage.  there's too many top tier phones out there for much much cheaper.  with the no contract plans becoming so huge now we are going to continue to see great options for not nearly as much money as we are used to seeing phones go for.  Veeg has it dead on by calling it a Moto X without the nice software and the Moto X sells for half the price basically. 

Yea since I always buy stuff off Amazon and have a Kindle Fire I was interested in the phone, until I saw the AT&T contract stipulation.  I was hoping they'd make a normal smart phone for normal people (ie not one that was $650) and then do lower plans like Walmart does.  My current cell phone bill is $30 after taxes (I don't use a lot of data on my plan, mostly wifi), so there is no way I am going to one of the 'big' companies no matter how nice the phone is.  And the phone doesn't even look that nice.  So I was disappointed, I thought they were going to do something different, not just the normal "expensive phone, expensive contract" route.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with running custom MODs, is having to go through the fuckton of trouble backing up and restoring everything when you want to upgrade.  Seriously takes me 2 hours to upgrade a ROM to a new version.

However, the new Quantum Mod and Kernal for S3's are fucking slick as rat shit and are way nicer on battery than the last versions.  Plus this kernal version doesn't have the random reboot issues the last one had.

And the new Full Stock GApps gets rid of the extra browsers/SMS apps I don't use, and put a fucking calender back in.

• 4 weeks later...

I got an Apple TV for Christmas. I've used it for Netflix and Youtube with no problems. Last night was the first time I tried renting a movie from iTunes: SNOWPIERCER.

When i confirmed that I was renting it, I got a message that it would be 10+ hours before I could watch it. This wasn't what I was expecting, but this was the first time. So basically I figured I'd leave it downloading all night and then we could watch it today.

Instead, it's still telling me it needs 3 hours this morning. Then, about half an hour later, it says that it's ready to play. But that's not a good time, so I hit "menu" to save it for later, and then when I tried to watch it tonight it was only 2/3rds finished and told me that it needed another 65 minutes. That was two hours ago. It's not a connectivity issue, because I'm watching Netflix and doing other online stuff no problem.

Any ideas? This is really irritating the shit out of me.

That's weird. We rented the "Walter Mitty" movie on our Apple TV and it just fired up right away. No wait, no nothing. Just like picking a movie from Netflix.

• Like 1

I refuse to accept that you paid cash monies to watch Mitty.

Twice.  Once in theater, once at home.  Didn't really want to pay either time but I enjoyed the movie both times.

LALALALALALALANOTLISTENINGLALALALALALALALALALALA1

You realize that this lapse into whimsy overdose is threatening an entire way of life and a big part of the national GDP?...the thousands of people supported by Tabedoza Industries?  WHO WILL PAY THEIR STUDENT LOANS!!!

HOW CAN WE EVER TRUST THE INTEGRITY OF THE NUMBER 7 AGAIN??????

5 August, 2014

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

RE: DISMISSAL OF CEO OF TABEDOZA INDUSTRIES

Ladies and Gentlemen, Shareholders and customers,

We regret to inform you that the former CEO of Tabedoza Industries has suffered brief but devastating hacking incident which may have resulted in some of our loyal subscribers accidentally believing that THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY was something other than whimsical twaddle.  This temporary hacking incident, which caused THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY to be temporarily rated a 7.13 has been corrected and THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY has been relegated to its true rating of 6.744.  Anyone who suffered loss of taste or will to live as a result of this unfortunate incident and their exposure to THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY will be eligible to receive a credit of $5.00 to be used to purchase the Tabedoza Industries merchandise of their choice from SHOPTABEDOZA.COM.

Sadly, the board of directors, having lost faith in the ability of the former CEO of Tabedoza Industries to keep his whimsy in check, has been forced to make a change.  We wish the former CEO of Tabedoza Industries all the best in his future endeavors.  From this moment on Tabedoza Industries will be under the leadership of Brian Fowler and Jaedmc who have both demonstrated valor and common sense in their righteous hatred of THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION.

We look forward to next quarter and renewed profitability at Tabedoza Industries and will not speak publicly on this matter again.

• Like 1

WE WILL NOT BE MAKING FURTHER PUBLIC STATEMENTS ON THE MATTER!

Please feel free to attend any Tabedoza Industries event as a ticket-holding customer.  And we are sure that you will in no way exploit that loophole to sit in the front row and instigate trouble as some sort of "outsider" "radical" or "invader."

• 3 weeks later...

They don't even fully do that.  Curve is supposed to be a "immersion" gimmick, and doesn't even do that well.  You can go UHD if you want (I'd recommend waiting at least until Vizio drops theirs in the fall), but you're only getting the full benifit with the UHD players and discs.  It'll be over a decade before we start getting UHD through service providers,so stick with regular HD stuff for now.

Looks like the new Moto X is gonna be great: http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/8/6121143/motorola-moto-x-2014-new-review

I'm not surprised. I have the first Moto X and absolutely love it. Seems like the only negatives are that the camera and battery are merely average. My Moto X runs REALLY smoothly, even better than the S5 in my opinion, and that's with an older processor but due to Motorola's tweaks, they maximize the performance. I can only imagine how well the new X is gonna run with a modern processor. I don't feel the need to upgrade since my X is still performing really well and as long as it gets Android L quickly, I'll be content. But man, the new phone looks awesome and I'm sure when I know someone who gets it, I'm gonna wind up wanting one.