DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

Yeah, iPhone users are amazed at shit Android users are already used to.

My wife has a Windows phone and just got the Cortana update. She constantly shows off to my father-in-law how much better than Siri Cortana is (in law is an iPhone user, who's asking me how the new stuff works.)

In other news, iOS 8 is so much peppier that I have to keep reminding myself that I didn't actually get a new iPad, and it's still the same old slow thing I was using before Wednesday.  Any other changes are "whatever" but many it blazes now.

The predoctive text/autocorrect is pretty stupid out of the gate.  The first day it changed a lot of correct words.  Lost became lot, etc.

I've been an Android guy since the day the original Droid launched on Verizon. Never had an iPhone or an iPod Touch. I was using my friends iPhone 5S (with iOS 8) and the predictive text is horrendous. I'm sure it'll get better in time but it was a huge step down compared to what I've been using.

Another friend got the iPhone 6 (not the plus). It looks nice and seems way better now that it doesn't have a baby screen. I'm just too entrenched into the Google/Android ecosystem to ever consider switching unless Apple manages to do something totally revolutionary again. I'll be more than content with getting either the new Moto X, Droid Turbo or heaven forbid Nexus 6/X.

I've had an old Galaxy Tab2 sitting around that was barely usable because it was so slow.  This weekend I finally got a wild hair to put Cyanogen mod on it, and now it's like a whole new tablet.  The installation was a bit tricky until I figured out that I didn't have the correct USB drivers, but totally worth it.

Apparently the iPhone 6+ has an issue where the thing will bend from being in your front pocket, especially if you wear skinny jeans. I don't wear skinny jeans, but the amount of "well, wear loose jeans" comments out there annoys me. No. Make a phone that doesn't have these strange defects. Guess I'll wait on the 6/6+.

I've actually been considering a Note 4.  But I'm not big on AMOLED displays so I'm def. going to wait to see what the Nexus 6 has to offer.  I looked at the new iphones and it seems like decent hardware.  Good screen and camera for sure.  But the OS was a dealbreaker. 

Apparently the iPhone 6+ has an issue where the thing will bend from being in your front pocket, especially if you wear skinny jeans. I don't wear skinny jeans, but the amount of "well, wear loose jeans" comments out there annoys me. No. Make a phone that doesn't have these strange defects. Guess I'll wait on the 6/6+.

Meh, as phones get smaller this will be an issue for every brand.  

I don't see this as an issue unless you want a phone that is six inches thick and weighs five pounds.

Just a bunch of whining.

Well, no, it isn't a bunch of whining because the phone is fucking expensive as shit. If you're paying that much for a phone, it shouldn't be as malleable as Silly Putty where you put the damn thing in your pants pocket and it gets warped. That's ridiculous. It's like the antenna issue from a couple years ago. How could this thing, again, go through QA without discovering it can be bent and warped?

However, it's ok. The iPhone 6s and 6+s will fix this issue next year.

• Like 1

Are you not reading what we're saying? It has nothing to do with the phone being thicker. There are other phones with that thickness that don't have that issue. It also isn't just people wearing skinny jeans that are whining. 

This is classic.

I think the point is that if the phone actually bends just from it conforming from someones pocket in a short time, what other issues can/will arise from normal use scenarios? And will this incident of bending over a short time cause a weakness that could cause a breakage of some sort in the frame or screen?

Also just to clarify: iphones aren't exclusively sold to hipsters wearing skinny jeans.  There is a fairly large market of women consumers who might not dress in baggy cargo pants.