DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2015 WRESTLING DISCCUSSION

I can only this new mad max movie spawns as many wrestling characters as the originals did.

I haven't watched much Chikara since last year's King of Trios, is Deucalion still around?  Joe's look reminded me of his getup.

Payback (3hrs)+ Raw (3hrs)+ Takeover (2hrs)+ Raw (3hrs)+ Elimination Chamber (3hrs). Not including SD!, Main Event, Superstars and NXT tapings, is this the most live WWE tv over a 2 week period, ever?

Well, fair enough if you think a single wrestler has had a flawless career - I choose to believe otherwise. His deathmatch shit is pretty lame, too.

Death matches are inherently lame as hell. You can't hold that against him.

The fuck is this?

• Like 3

There are wrestlers who are charismatic enough to get by with not being very good in the ring, but I'm not sure Titus is one of them.

What exactly are the "Titus sucks" people basing that terrible opinion on? Because pretty much every time I've seen him have a match with any kind of time on Main Event or Superstars it was good/really good. I don't think he was getting "carried" by Kofi Kingston either.

Well, fair enough if you think a single wrestler has had a flawless career - I choose to believe otherwise. His deathmatch shit is pretty lame, too.

Death matches are inherently lame as hell. You can't hold that against him.

The fuck is this?

I think the modern Deathmatch has kind of lost its allure. But classic stip matches (which is all that Dethmatches really are) still have a place. Also there is definitely a difference between the FMW era Dethmatch and what it ended up spawning via W*ING and Big Japan. Onita had that time in Memphis to show him how to build to a stip match and in turn how to work it and build to something special. A bump into exploding barbed wire is no different than bump off a laddwr in terms of building to the moment. and visual spectacle for the crowd.  There are some excellent deathmatches out there BUT I can understand it being someone's cup of tea. You don't like Deathmatches, that's fine. Me, I really hate stunt show ladder matches that have been the norm since the late 90s... but that's me.

To each his own.

Here's to pluralism in pro-wrestling fandom

James 

• Like 1

I love Onita Funk because at its core its still a wrstling match with mountains of psychology. The fact that you have terry Funk in a ring surrounded by exploding barbed wire and he decides to just bust out a spinning toehold is twofold. It plays to those old school fans that want that style of wrestling AND it irks the FMW fana who don't. I just plays in to how brilliant Funk is. It shows that Terry Funk is the definition of pro-wrestling

James

There are wrestlers who are charismatic enough to get by with not being very good in the ring, but I'm not sure Titus is one of them.

What exactly are the "Titus sucks" people basing that terrible opinion on? Because pretty much every time I've seen him have a match with any kind of time on Main Event or Superstars it was good/really good. I don't think he was getting "carried" by Kofi Kingston either.

Didn't say he sucked, I said he's not very good.  Not the same thing at all.  (It's like the difference between "Roman Reigns is awful" and "Roman Reigns isn't ready to be the top guy.")

In all fairness, though, I've never actually seen Titus on Main Event or Superstars, so my "terrible opinion" is based on watching him on Raw and the occasional Smackdown.

Terry Funk has never done anything wrong. Stop watching wrestling

tumblr_mty7npeBU01rhly2xo1_500.jpg

That only supports his argument

Uh no

The fuck did they find this guy?

Where the fuck did they find you?

• Like 1

Jesus Fuck I just want to see this thread nuked from on high already because people are talking shit about Terry Funk, death matches, and Chainsaw Charlie (which was goofy as shit and a bad idea which he himself acknowledged but was awesome to see at 12 years old)

Chainsaw Charlie (which was goofy as shit and a bad idea which he himself acknowledged but was awesome to see at 12 years old)

That's the most fun part about it to me. Like I would have loved to be in the room when he pitched that to Vince and then Vince's reaction when Funk left. I am sure he had to be thinking "That sounds terrible....but it is Terry Funk so maybe..."

I just love that that Funk, the person who guys from the 90s tell stories about like "I had this idea so I called up Terry Funk to run it by him first" came up with such a silly idea for himself.