DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2015 WRESTLING DISCCUSSION

I see a lot less Richards hate on the board as of late. Has he gotten better or just less people view his work now that he is in TNA?

I think the answer is "What's TNA?"

I think the real answer is "Why is TNA?"

• Like 3

Can someone put up a gif of Lawler and Funk punching each other to cleanse the thread?

iFfn6OGZmNWMm.gif

That's probably just as bad as the Davey gif. Funk doing a "flip" after a Lawler punch = ridiculous. Funk's selling as always been really over the fucking top.

Dean Ambrose reminds me of Funk in that regard.

And it's awful.

Can someone put up a gif of Lawler and Funk punching each other to cleanse the thread?

iFfn6OGZmNWMm.gif

That's probably just as bad as the Davey gif. Funk doing a "flip" after a Lawler punch = ridiculous. Funk's selling as always been really over the fucking top.

Dean Ambrose reminds me of Funk in that regard.

And it's awful.

I don't think it's any worse when a guy like Billy Gunn or Rikishi or now one of the USO's does a twirling 360 after taking a hard clothesline. It just add's something extra to get people to notice. Plus Lawler's offense is 98% punches so it at least makes sense Lawler would knock the shit out of Terry Funk.

The difference between Terry Funk and Davey Richards is Terry Funk would at least stay down for that punch. Richards would pop back up and do one of his own to his opponent.

Oh, don't get me wrong, the 360 spins that the smaller guys do off a clothesline from a bigger guy is stupid too, in my opinion. It looks nice, but I mean... that shit wouldn't happen in reality, and I hate to even use that phrase because that argument seems so out of place in the world of wrestling. But it's true. Funk doing a spin, an Uso, Rikishi... it's silly, to me anyway.

So is the Davey gif, for the record. I guess what I'm getting at is that selling like that (over the top) takes me out of the match. I love Ambrose, but I hate his selling most of the time, it seems like he's toned it down lately. On the flipside, no selling like Davey does the same thing to a match. I guess it's just a matter of taste.

To be fair, there are a lot of things in pro wrestling that wouldn't happen in real life. Would you come running back to your opponent if you were thrown into a set of ropes? Pro Wrestling is supposed to be a ridiculous, emphasis on "a bit" though. Davey Richards takes it to a whole new level and makes everything look like a joke. The art of pro wrestling is convincing people that you're being hurt while taking as little actual damage as possible. Davey does the opposite of that. What Terry is doing here is totally legit.

Nah the selling of that punch is ridiculous and silly. I don't much care about wrestling being serious business though, so I like goofy overselling. Give me Terry Funk doing Fred Sanford phantom punches or Ric Flair obviously flipping himself over the turnbuckle and I'm happy.

I will say I never cared for Rikishi doing a flip off a clothesline. Always looked super fake and should have been saved for the small guys to do.

• Like 2

Really liked this gem from the Observer:

Actor Skylar Astin was on Brendan Schaub’s podcast and talked about going to UFC 184 (Ronda Rousey vs. Cat Zingano) and sitting in the owners section and his brother went up to Lesnar and said, “Dude, you gotta come back, man. You gotta come back.” Lesnar looked at Astin’s brother and said, “Sit the f*** down. You don’t know shit. What the f***.” Lesnar’s demeanor came off like he was furious. Astin said his brother’s girlfriend started crying and that Urijah Faber and T.J. Dillashaw, who were both there, just froze. Dillashaw then told Milan Astin, “Dude, he’s going to push your shit. You’re f***ed.” His girlfriend started crying again, thinking Lesnar would really do something.

Why one would provoke Lesnar I have no idea.  But I can only imagine what would happen if he did do something.

• Like 3

Really liked this gem from the Observer:

Actor Skylar Astin was on Brendan Schaub’s podcast and talked about going to UFC 184 (Ronda Rousey vs. Cat Zingano) and sitting in the owners section and his brother went up to Lesnar and said, “Dude, you gotta come back, man. You gotta come back.” Lesnar looked at Astin’s brother and said, “Sit the f*** down. You don’t know shit. What the f***.” Lesnar’s demeanor came off like he was furious. Astin said his brother’s girlfriend started crying and that Urijah Faber and T.J. Dillashaw, who were both there, just froze. Dillashaw then told Milan Astin, “Dude, he’s going to push your shit. You’re f***ed.” His girlfriend started crying again, thinking Lesnar would really do something.

Why one would provoke Lesnar I have no idea.  But I can only imagine what would happen if he did do something.

Two things:

1) Skylar Astin.  Google him, and tell me he doesn't have an extraordinarily punchable face.  Now add that, plus what I'm sure is a lot of alcohol, plus the misanthrope that Brock is known to be.... well, you get what you read above.

2) This reads like something that to Brock is just a hilarious prank to pull on a lesser human. He probably laughed good and hard about it later. 

• Like 1

No need to Google him.  If your name is Skylar or Milan, odds are you deserve to be punched.

The girlfriend openly sobbing because Brock is clearly going to kill and eat her boyfriend and there's nothing anyone can do about it is just the absolute best.

• Like 2

I think this is close to what would have happened to Skyler if he actually followed through on it:

F5Np88l.gif

For anybody else, that face would be weird.  For Brock, that's his "I'm fucking killing you" face.

• Like 1

I think this is close to what would have happened to Skyler if he actually followed through on it:

F5Np88l.gif

For anybody else, that face would be weird. For Brock, that's his "I'm fucking killing you" face.

-!... my sex face tho