DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

6 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Here's Snyder's take on the killing...I still don't like it

http://comicbook.com/2016/03/24/zack-snyder-explains-why-batman-kills-in-batman-v-superman-dawn-/

This film goes well beyond what he's talking about.

I'm getting tired of Snyder's excuses.  For years he defended all the death and destruction in Man of Steel.  Then in Batman v Superman, there is dialogue that's the cinematic equivalent of Power Rangers: "Thank goodness the monster only destroyed another another abandoned building."  Or DBZ's "Oh it's OK, those pilots had parachutes!"

On 3/24/2016 at 0:30 PM, Buy Me a Burrito said:

Who'da thought that an Ayn Rand fanboy like Snyder would be into making heroes terrible people? 

Which is extremely ironic when it comes to Batman and everyone's insistence that any proper depiction of Batman in a movie be that of some grim, "gritty," and dark figure of absolute vengeance..

People surmise that Batman is a good example of the Rand archetype because they assume that his vendetta against criminals is self serving and fighting crime is either an extension of his desire to avenge his parent's deaths, or an ego trip with Batman out to prove that he's the smartest man in the room... 

However the oath that Bruce swears when he decides to become Batman is a social contract in which his sole mission is to make sure that no one else has to experience the personal loss he suffered as a result of violent criminals.

Therefore, Batman is very much an altruistic figure and is actually an anti-Rand archetype.

As for Superman?  He is the best of us.  He is the way we want the outside world to see us:  powerful, intelligent, wise (there is a difference between intelligence and wisdom, folks), just, selfless, and benevolent..  He is about as anti-Rand as you can get.

• Like 7

The nice thing is we're in a world now where if all goes well I'm going to see 3 or 4 more different Batman franchises in my lifetime. It's hard to get worked up about a poor interpretation of Batman like it was when making shitty movies meant the characters had to go to movie jail for a decade or more. 

• Like 1

So very true.

Although sometimes its helpful to go to movie jail for a while, as evidenced by JURASSIC WORLD, which was just an okay movie but ruled the Earth because it scratched an itch that hadn't been attended to in a long time.  And I somewhat doubt Yet Another Spider-Man Reboot would be as well-received if it wasn't coming with the Marvel Studios cosign.

Literally every single frame of every single trailer for Batman vs. Superman that has publicly aired has looked like complete dog shit so it's not like anyone can claim to be all shocked and suprised it's not a very good movie without people coming to the conclusion there's some open irony metagame going on here.

I think the movie will still open big maybe $140 million or more, but drop like a rock in its second weekend.  

Say what you will about Jeph Loeb, but he probably wrote the best dialogue of Batman talking about Superman:

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him."

This is not that Superman.  This Superman does believe he's a god, but he's all sad and stuff because everyone is mean to him.  This Superman does think he's better.  He knows he's better.  There isn't the sense of him eating the humble pie.  These thoughts do occur to Superman in Dawn of Justice.

And yes, at the end of the day, Batman is a hero.  He is an altruistic figure, and I think sometimes writers and filmmakers forget about that.  I think that should be the root of what brings Batman and Superman together.  They have different methods and they do their business a different way, but at the end, they both stand for the same things.  

What I really wanted was to see the beginning or forging of the bond of that friendship.  Of the Superman who once said, "That was my best friend, and you just killed him!"

Also Lex Luthor has Asperger's and it's fucking stupid.  He's basically Max Landis complaining about how Superman is a Gary Stu.

So much schadenfreude in regards to this movie.  I am going Saturday.  I am getting my Popcorn and Cherry Coke and I am going to enjoy what good comes of it and not let the negativity get me down.  We are spoiled on a daily basis by having "too much too soon", if you hate it, don't see it.  Trying to keep my PMA

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Justin877 said:

So much schadenfreude in regards to this movie.  I am going Saturday.  I am getting my Popcorn and Cherry Coke and I am going to enjoy what good comes of it and not let the negativity get me down.  We are spoiled on a daily basis by having "too much too soon", if you hate it, don't see it.  Trying to keep my PMA

Dude I like you already. I'm getting the exact same thing popcorn and cherry coke!

9 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Say what you will about Jeph Loeb, but he probably wrote the best dialogue of Batman talking about Superman:

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him."

This is not that Superman.  This Superman does believe he's a god, but he's all sad and stuff because everyone is mean to him.  This Superman does think he's better.  He knows he's better.  There isn't the sense of him eating the humble pie.  These thoughts do occur to Superman in Dawn of Justice.

But in a world with only human heroes, which is what the DCCU is, it would make sense that Superman would be worshiped like a living god who is here to protect us. Here is this alien who can fly, shoot lasers from his eyes, has super strength and super speed. He's the stuff of legends come to life. However not only is he a super powered being, but he's one who is in his 20s (he seems like he's supposed to be young IMO) and has little realization the impact of what he does. Which is why I think it's okay he grasps he's different than everyone else and embraces it in a way the comics version of Superman never could.

I liken the DCCU Superman to someone like a Bryce Harper or a LeBron James. Someone who was told he's destined for greatness and then he continues to exceed expectations until he's become so good at such a young age, there's little to ground him to reality. 

Just came back from the movie and...... yeah, it's a mess. Just not good.

Spoiler

And boy, did that JL stuff feel tacked on. They could've handled that a lot better or more subtle. 

Things that I did like:

The Batman stuff (minus the killing).

Wonder Woman. Not familiar with the character, but holy fuck is she hot.

• Like 1