DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Fwiw, audience scores are falling at IMDb and RT now that it's being screened for the general public. Quite a bit better than the critic scores, but way down from the scores from yesterday.

This movie was some straight up bullshit.  I don't know if there is anything in this movie to like.  Batman's an asshole, Superman is an asshole, Lex Luthor is an annoying idiot, Wonder Woman is...well I can't complain about that fine assed woman.  The movie is about an hour too long,

Spoiler

especially when the first 15 minutes is another Batman origin sequence.

The plot was based on the two title characters being blind with rage, stupid, and/or just as evil as the villains.  I honestly didn't want either of them to win their fight against each other.  Everyone in the movie other than Lois Lane and Wonder Woman(who didn't have anything to do for most of the movie) were loathsome people.  I think this is the worst on screen depiction of either Batman or Superman as characters.  It was a superhero movie without anyone you could call a hero. 

I just got back from the IMAX and my god do my eyes hurt. There will be spoilers below.

Here is my honest and fair review.  I'll start by saying that anyone who says this is a great movie is out of their mind. However, anyone says that it is awful is also out of their mind. There's not enough GOOD for it to be great. There's not enough bad for it to be terrible. It's a pretty average movie with pacing issues and way too much going on.  I saw people say there are plot holes, I didn't see any plot holes. The movie makes sense it's just that the edit choices are really odd at times. It's skipping around all over the place.

So what's good about it?  Definitely Batman. I felt Affleck is by far the best Batman we've seen on screen. He's the first with actual fighting ability. He's the first to use his detective skill. He's the first to use a lot of his most famous tools. He's physically imposing.  Is Affleck the best Bruce Wayne?  No. He's good but Keaton is better. They are both better than Bale. I buy Affleck as a smug billionaire former playboy etc..  I never bought Bale as that. 

Now let's quickly discuss what The Vile One said a couple pages back. Does Batman kill people?   He's brutal for sure but he's not really killing people unless you assume some of the goons died..   In the most famous fight scene in the warehouse he is not killing anyone.  He hurts them, nowhere does it show him killing them. He never once shot someone unless you count the nightmare sequences and I'm not going to hold that against him.

Wonder Woman is also good. It's more of a cameo but her one fight scene is pretty damn great. Gal Gadot's scene at the party is good.. she's definitely not wooden there at all. I saw some people say that, she's pretty good in that party scene. But that's all we get from her. 

Laurence Fishburne and Jeremy Irons are both great.

So what's bad about it?

Well, as I said before there's way too much going on. I feared that could happen. Maybe the Blu Ray version fixes that but goddamn are they skipping from place to place to place. It doesn't allow for some of the shit to digest and then we're off to the next thing.

I thought Eisenberg was a terrible Lex Luthor. But I thought his actual performance was interesting..  IF he was someonenot named Lex Luthor it could have worked but as Luthor, I don't like this version at all.

Superman's fight scenes were awesome and his rescue scenes were cool but his dialogue was HORRENDOUS.  Worse than Goyer. Why can't DC find someone to write proper dialogue for Superman? It was bad..   it was a little better as Clark Kent but still not great. 

Now let's discuss the ending.  Some people say they didn't "earn" the moment. I agree with that to an extent but I don't think it's a huge deal because as we see.. it didn't really happen. It's not final. So it's not really worth discussing. It was an odd choice though.

Now finally... let's discuss that this is dark and humorless. For much of the movie it is very dark and humorless but I will tell you once the final battle kicks into gear everyone in the theater was laughing, clapping...  very excited. Wonder Woman showing up got a HUGE applause. I think they got money with her.  The end credits resulted in a lot of the theater clapping and cheering. I wasn't one of them because I didn't think it deserved all that. Like I said, it's okay but it's not great. 

I think the critics were too harsh. It's well acted for the most part, the story is edited weird but it's still coherent and interesting enough. I did think everyone had clear motivations. The visuals are out of this world. Outstanding.

I would give this movie probably a 6.5/10. 

Man, I can accept that the movie has some really deep flaws but I thought it was a blast. Loved Eisenberg's Lex, thought Batman and Wonder Woman were great, a lot of really good smaller bits, Amy Adams continues to be a great Lois, the big surprise in the middle caught me...it landed really well with me. The 'nightmare' sequence absolutely ruled and there were a ton of little things I popped for. 

This is 100% the movie I wanted as a kid and while I totally acknowledge that it's got a lot of flaws, I had a ball.

• Like 2

You can't have both Superman and Batman being so dark and dour in a movie like this.  Superman and Batman are supposed to be yin and yang, not yang and yang.  

Wonder Woman finally comes in way too late.  She is refreshing, but she still serves no purpose at all other than to say, "Hey go see my movie next summer!"

8 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

You can't have both Superman and Batman being so dark and dour in a movie like this.  Superman and Batman are supposed to be yin and yang, not yang and yang.  

Wonder Woman finally comes in way too late.  She is refreshing, but she still serves no purpose at all other than to say, "Hey go see my movie next summer!"

How can you say she serves no purpose. Without her Doomsday might have actually won. She was fucking him up and tied him up in order for the final blow to happen.

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

How can you say she serves no purpose. Without her Doomsday might have actually won. She was fucking him up and tied him up in order for the final blow to happen.

Because she has almost no character and nothing to do.  Even what she is looking for is pointless.  Doomsday's purpose in the movie is also forced.  Not to mention she doesn't even really interact with Batman or Superman at all.

35 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Man, I can accept that the movie has some really deep flaws but I thought it was a blast. Loved Eisenberg's Lex, thought Batman and Wonder Woman were great, a lot of really good smaller bits, Amy Adams continues to be a great Lois, the big surprise in the middle caught me...it landed really well with me. The 'nightmare' sequence absolutely ruled and there were a ton of little things I popped for. 

This is 100% the movie I wanted as a kid and while I totally acknowledge that it's got a lot of flaws, I had a ball.

The Kurt Angle of movies.

Just now, TheVileOne said:

Because she has almost no character and nothing to do.  Even what she is looking for is pointless.  Doomsday's purpose in the movie is also forced.  Not to mention she doesn't even really interact with Batman or Superman at all.

She was keeping an eye on them. She's around because as Wanda says in Suicide Squad "Superman was some kind of beacon for them to come back from the shadows"

21 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

She was keeping an eye on them. She's around because as Wanda says in Suicide Squad "Superman was some kind of beacon for them to come back from the shadows"

Except she's not.  Maybe that was the case, but there's nothing in the movie to suggest that.  What she's looking for is something far more trifling.  

It makes her role in the movie perfunctory.  In the animated series she left Themiscyra because aliens were invading the Earth and she wanted to help.  

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Except she's not.  Maybe that was the case, but there's nothing in the movie to suggest that. 

She's been tracking Luthor.  But I don't want to get hung up on that point. She was pretty much a cameo but it worked because my theater lost their shit when she went into battle. What I take from this is a couple things...    This was a disappointing movie but it probably did enough to lay the groundwork for their universe.

I think they might need to get rid of Snyder though because I'm not sure he's capable of directing a classic movie. He can get up to "decent" or maybe "good" but he's flawed. I fear if they went with a new director they would suffer with visuals, however. Visuals are a big deal in these movies. Action scenes are a big deal. You can't have a guy who can't direct action do a Justice League movie. I thought Terrio would be able to write a good enough script for it to not matter and maybe he did but the editing sucked. Terrio didn't write well for Superman though so maybe he's not the best choice moving forward either.

I'd say this is a decent movie and the things they get right, they really do well at. It's the in between stuff that fails. The Superman problem is one that generally always exists in the how does a god not know he's a god and react to that. This version of Superman doesn't know how to be Superman because he has no one to guide him. Wonder Woman might end up being the biggest draw out of the Trinity. Marvel is going to regret not doing a Black Widow movie. I think when they came up with this movie they had the main villain in place but didn't know how to end the fight which ended up necessitating Wonder Woman's involvement. My biggest problem with Luthor is the voice but that's more due to me used to a deep voice. I think Eisenberg does little subtle points to get across his need to be a god among men due his intellect but can't because there's an actual god around.

Overall this might be the worst of the Big 3 movies out between BvS, Civil War, and Apocalypse or it could be the best. And I don't mean that as negative as it sounds but it will be interesting to see how the other two do once they're out.

To give this move an arbitrary rating Id say 3.5/5. It's a little better than average and went a bit too long but in the end I enjoyed my time at the movie and didn't feel like I wasted money.

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is 33% rotten on Rotten Tomatoes. I didn't expect the film to score as low as. Poor DCEU.

Guns and killing people? Really?

So after proving he didn't understand Superman, we now see Snyder doesn't understand Batman either. Yeah, I'm passing on this grimdark bullshit.

• Like 2

I'm... incredibly angry right now. It's been about three hours since it ended and I'm still angry as hell.

There's so much I want to say about this thing, but I know it'll devolve into me yelling in all caps incoherently. I'll just say that as long as Zach Synder is anywhere near Superman, I will never ever watch it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ace said:

So after proving he didn't understand Superman, we now see Snyder doesn't understand Batman either. Yeah, I'm passing on this grimdark bullshit.

lol. There's issues with the movie but that's not one of them. He doesn't kill anyone, I think people are confusing the nightmare sequence with the real Bruce.

There is a moment where the picture of Wonder Woman is on screen AND EVERYTHING CHANGES. Gone is the bullshit score and it's replaced by this way more upbeat and fun score. It nearly erased how fucking boring the movie was up until that point. It was awesome and it was only a picture and a score.

Then Wonder Woman jumps into the fight and again the score changes to her theme and it's fucking awesome. For me, Wonder Woman was the best part.

The rest of the movie was a mess. I'm not getting into it now, but this movie was a 20 minute idea, the big fight stuff, that they tried to wrap a larger story around and it doesn't work. Bruce has 4 fucking dream sequences. WHY?

I'll take Wonder Woman and leave the rest.

47 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Bruce has 4 fucking dream sequences. WHY?

I think it's all a tie in for future stuff but that was a huge problem with the movie. The editing was terrible, way too much trying to be crammed into 2.5 hours. I think some people can connect the dots but most will leave going "wtf was that?"