DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - APRIL

Dolfan in NYC

Word around the campfire is Redmond is gone if he fucks up this week's series with Pittsburgh. The Marlins are kicking the tires on Wally Backman.

Yes, this Wally Backman:

https://youtu.be/ZlsVr1ykBqQ

(Sorry about the link, they've disabled embedding of this video)

Carlos Rodon (last season's 3rd overall pick in the draft) is being called up by the White Sox after a brief minor league career of 34 innings. He likes to throw sliders.

They play each other 18 times. If the Royals are still without Herrera/Ventura/Holland during that series, it should be a cakewalk for Detroit

the magic of the appeals process guarantees that they'd try to strategically make sure that Ventura and Herrera aren't out at the same time. Chris Young is probably gonna inherit the start that Ventura loses and Chris Young's arsenal of inducing flyballs on mediocre fastballs plays well at Kauffman Stadium.

Barring rainouts or such, the matchups for those 4 games are:

Volquez/Simon, Vargas/VerlanderLobstein, Guthrie/Price, Ventura/Sanchez.

Meaning that Duffy and Greene miss the series.

Anyways.... Ventura gets 6 games sometime in early May and Herrera gets 3/4 games around the White Sox or Cleveland series.

Really weird and terrible situation in Pittsburg right now. Starling Castro hits a foul ball line drive straight into the net behind the plate. A woman in the front row was moving back to her seat. The netting gave way a bit, and she got drilled in the head. The game has been delayed for 10 minutes. It's not good.

I just saw he hit the second off Ernesto Fieri aka the guy the Angels traded to the Bucs who then DFA'd him because he is human gasoline. Rays bullpen must be paper thin if they're using him in leverage situations.

Unfortunately this year the team is already ravaged by injuries, including several starting pitchers on the DL. It doesn't excuse them signing a bad player for their bullpen but I didn't even think they'd be 6-7 now, as I am expecting this year to be bad for them.

Word around the campfire is Redmond is gone if he fucks up this week's series with Pittsburgh. The Marlins are kicking the tires on Wally Backman.

Yes, this Wally Backman:

https://youtu.be/ZlsVr1ykBqQ

(Sorry about the link, they've disabled embedding of this video)

Speaking of "managers unleashing profanity-laced tirades filled with F-bombs", Bryan Price got quite angry with the Cincinnati media. There's sadly no video of it but just reading the written recap is quite amusing.

Really weird and terrible situation in Pittsburg right now. Starling Castro hits a foul ball line drive straight into the net behind the plate. A woman in the front row was moving back to her seat. The netting gave way a bit, and she got drilled in the head. The game has been delayed for 10 minutes. It's not good.

Ended up being a 23 minute delay. Though it appears that she will be alright

Deadspin has the video (it isn't gruesome or anything and amazingly the broadcast didn't show a replay)

The comments for once have an interesting discussion on what - in theory - is each ballparks policy in regards to ushers and folks taking their seat, etc...

The broadcast didn't show a replay, but for whatever reason, apparently CSN Chicago thought it was a good idea to show it in their game recap. I didn't see it and don't really want to watch it, but isn't the netting supposed to be pretty taut?

The broadcast didn't show a replay, but for whatever reason, apparently CSN Chicago thought it was a good idea to show it in their game recap. I didn't see it and don't really want to watch it, but isn't the netting supposed to be pretty taut?

It has a little give. The problem was that the woman was right against it as she was getting back to her seat.

That is why - in most places and in theory - ushers aren't supposed to let you return to your seat mid AB (places like Nats Park - the ushers even have little stop signs. Of course it requires the usher to actually enforce things)

Ah ok. At least she'll be alright, hopefully.

I've only sat behind home plate once at Wrigley Field, but I don't remember much about the net or when ushers let you take your seat. I was also in the 10th row, so I'm sure it didn't matter anyway.

They've been showing it on the local news - since the Bucs game wasn't televised due to the Pens game - and it's good to hear she's been released from the hospital because that looked scary. Count me in the "Who woulda thunk it?" Camp as I've sat behind home plate - not in entitled motherfucker territory but a few rows up - and I always remember the netting having barely any give. She must've literally been right up against it when the ball hit which is some Final Destination level bad luck if I've ever seen it.

Anyway, sucks to see the Bucs waste another great start from AJ Burnett. He's pitched two great games with nothing to show for either. It really should've been 2-1 in the 7th but Cervelli couldn't handle two throws at home plate that had Cubs beat by a mile. He's done a decent job so far but defensively he's definitely no Russell Martin.

It has to have give - otherwise the ball will come shooting back into the playing area.

They've been showing it on the local news - since the Bucs game wasn't televised due to the Pens game - and it's good to hear she's been released from the hospital because that looked scary. Count me in the "Who woulda thunk it?" Camp as I've sat behind home plate - not in entitled motherfucker territory but a few rows up - and I always remember the netting having barely any give. She must've literally been right up against it when the ball hit which is some Final Destination level bad luck if I've ever seen it.

Anyway, sucks to see the Bucs waste another great start from AJ Burnett. He's pitched two great games with nothing to show for either. It really should've been 2-1 in the 7th but Cervelli couldn't handle two throws at home plate that had Cubs beat by a mile. He's done a decent job so far but defensively he's definitely no Russell Martin.

First one wasn't his fault. Ball hit Bryant's bat which was in front of the plate. Or, rather, it's his or the umps fault for not moving the bat first.

This only works if they use the Private Pyle jelly donut method and make someone better serve the sentence. 

In fact, before each of the five games, everyone else on the whole team has to sit down for a three-hour reminiscing session with Tim McCarver.  We'll see how much fight they have left in them then.