DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2014-15 Regular Season - 2nd Half

ChesterCopperpot

Carmelo's biggest problem is that he came to prominence in the wrong decade. He's a total throwback to the superstars of the 70's or 90's. If he had played in those periods, With guys like McAdoo or any number of guys from the "too much too soon" 90's generation, he wouldn't be nearly as widely disliked as he is.

Iverson averaged 24.8 his first season in Denver and 26.4 in his second year where he also played all 82 games, led the league minutes played and dished out 7.1 assists.  

Both played in the terrible East. Iverson led the Sixers to the Finals and singlehandedly won game one in the Finals against Kobe and Shaq. Melo... didn't do as much... 

I'd say Melo was actually better in Denver. He was unstoppable in that series against the Lakers. He hasn't accomplished anything in New York.

Iverson averaged 24.8 his first season in Denver and 26.4 in his second year where he also played all 82 games, led the league minutes played and dished out 7.1 assists.  

Both played in the terrible East. Iverson led the Sixers to the Finals and singlehandedly won game one in the Finals against Kobe and Shaq. Melo... didn't do as much... 

I'd say Melo was actually better in Denver. He was unstoppable in that series against the Lakers. He hasn't accomplished anything in New York.

I don't think the comparison is that simple.  The NBA has changed a lot since Iverson led the Sixers to the Finals.  There has been a huge talent influx, and a shit ton of more thought put into how teams are put together.  Melo was seemingly better in Denver because he played for a team that was put together intelligently.  That team with Melo and Iverson as scorers, Billups as the leader who could reel them in if they got too crazy, and Nene and K-Mart doing all the dirty work fit together in a way that made sense.  The Knicks are one of the dumbest teams in the NBA, their strategy seems to be throw money at players who have decent names, with no thought whatsoever on how they would actually play together.  You cannot compete in the NBA in this day and age if you only have one all star caliber player, especially if the team around him doesn't compliment him at all.  The NBA revolves around pace and space, a style that Carmelo Anthony should excel at, except that the Knicks don't have a point guard worth a damn.  He can't use his full skill set because there is no one else on the team who can create with the ball.  Melo is one of the most gifted scorers in the league, but without a point guard (or competent coach) he essentially has to create everything for himself.  Instead of getting a decent point guard they spent their entire slary cap on Amar'e and his bad knees, and Andrea Bargnani.  The Knicks suck because they never got a point guard in a point guard driven league.  There is no one to break down the defense, to set up the offense, or be an offensive threat that pulls the defense away from Melo.  Melo should be able to post up, make corner threes, and be on the receiving end of pick and rolls, but there is no one to throw entry passes, drive and kick, or dribble around a pick.

I'm all for athletes having whatever interests they want. But I retain the right to make fun of your interest if it's "Trying to extend my 'brand' and make a shoddy version of GQ that also includes fawning articles about my fashion sense."

Well and it helps if you win, or get close as well. Or at least appear to always give a shit. . . 

YO.   The Heat are offering two 1st rounders for Goran.  That deal has to get done, right?

A (relatively) healthy starting 5 of Dragic, Wade, Deng, Bosh, Whiteside would be a tough out in the playoffs.  If the standings hold we would see Hawks/Heat in the first round.  I think I would pick Miami in that situation.  That's how big of a move this would be.

Woj is saying Garnett is leaning towards waiving his no-trade to go back to Minnesota and mentor the young'uns. Also, somewhat connected, Lopez for Reggie Jackson and others (Perkins) seems to be close. 

If the Heat get Goran, then Cole is likely going to either Detroit or OKC.

"Heat Offering Two First Rounders, Norris Cole, McRoberts, Chris Andersen To Suns For Goran Dragic"

I would think Goran would rather be out East if he wants the best of both worlds being on a playoff team and getting paid. Seems like a better fit than NY w/ triangle and Lakers in rebuild mode.

"Heat Offering Two First Rounders, Norris Cole, McRoberts, Chris Andersen To Suns For Goran Dragic"

I would think Goran would rather be out East if he wants the best of both worlds being on a playoff team and getting paid. Seems like a better fit than NY w/ triangle and Lakers in rebuild mode.

Goran's complaining about standing in the corner all the time. WTF does he think will happen in the triangle where, EVERY SINGLE TIME, the point guard goes to stand in the corner?

• Like 1

Bennett's season ending knee injury happens the second the Garnett trade is confirmed. "Just can't put any weight on it, doc. Jeez, looks like I'm done for the rest of the year. Shucks, man. Shucks."

Goran to the Heat is the only sensible move going by his list of teams he's willing to re-up with. I know the Rockets were going to try to get him and then convince him to re-sign there. Heat make way more sense than Houston though. They haven't had a good PG in... hmm... well, I don't remember the last good point guard to play in Miami.