DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2014-15 Regular Season - 2nd Half

ChesterCopperpot

Kyrie didn't play but still I will fucking take it. Nice win.  I just wish Detroit would have stepped up and handed an L to the Pacers.

Just finished with this game and it was really entertaining as well. Interesting way they are using Turner. Counter intuitive considering the other players on the floor. Thomas has had borderline all-star productivity on offense since the trade. 3:30 am was planning on going to bed but I have the Lakers and Timberwolves game on the DVR. Looks like Wiggins scoring hot streak continued. Plus this time with rebounds and assists. Be nice to have a compliment next time his name comes up so I'll watch it now. That reminds me I had him on my fantasy team. Decided to be nice and let my friend use my laptop for a couple days and was rewarded with a rook kit and a compromised e-mail account. Had no chance of winning but would be nice to see where things finished off. Guess I should correct that too. Had to completely reformat the drive.

* Looking at KJ McDaniels numbers since the trade. His mom complained about his playing time here and he agreed with her. He has played a total of 22 minutes combined since the trade in 25 games. He was averaging 25 minutes per game here. He has scored 6 total points since the trade. Guy looked good the first month of the season and just dropped off. TS% of.572 in November. Followed that with .455 and .469. Sucks in a way since Noel and Grant are both great shot blockers. Would have been fun watching McDaniels, Noel and Grant running around together. Grant and McDaniels both are at 1.9 per 36 and Noel is at 2.2.

Edited by Cole Miner

I remember posting  San Antonio Spurs wouldn't repeat as champions a couple of months ago after a bad couple of losses for them.  I think Kawhi was still out and Parker was still looking bad because he wasn't 100 percent.  I thought it was a wrap.

You can mock me.

If they're healthy, they're a tough out.  Don't let them get that 2nd seed...

Clarkson has been the one highlight/positive we've had  in LA for the past THREE years!!! I'm surprised we haven't built him a statue yet. :)

Would have been interesting how the ROY race would have gone if Parker & Randle hadn't gotten injured. I'm assuming Randle won't qualify as a rookie next season if he played a few minutes in 1 game this season.

Randle looked pretty good in the preseason. Him Clarkson and this years pick should be a good starting point. I imagine one of the 2 bigs would be ideal. Our chance of grabbing your pick this year is pretty much locked in at 17%. Not great but that is higher odds than getting the 1st pick.

I still worry the Lakers will lose the pick. :) Its been that type of run the past 3-4 years. If they keep the pick, Towns and Okafor would have to be at the top of the board. I'm guessing Winslow & Russell will be somewhere in their top 5. WCS if they slip to 5. I haven't seen enough of Porzingis, Mudiay or Hezonja.

Towns or Okafor at center would balance out the C/PF rotation since they've been very under-sized at that position. Get one of those and next year's PF rotation would be Randle/Black (he'd backup at C)/Kelly. They have to decide if they want to bring back Hill. Ed Davis played really well this season, but I think he might leave. Carlos Boozer.....um....he's probably not coming back. (to be fair to Boozer, he played well as a backup) Sacre would still be around as the 2nd or 3rd backup center.  There's also the Kevin Love rumor and really only way I could see him coming here if he opts out that would really work is if they drafted or signed a good defensive center.

I'm hoping Clarkson's play will sway them away from going after Rondo.

I choose to believe that Popovich used the hack a Josh strategy not because it was effective, but because it trolled the Houston announce team so hard. 

Those guys suck real bad. 

I've been saying that for a while.  Easily the worst announce team in the league.  I cringe whenever I know I game I want to watch that involves them is on NBA TV, because I know I'm stuck with them.  They truly are the voice of their insufferable fanbase.

Next to my Whalers dying the 1994 finals were the most awful and painful moment of my fandom as a kid. Fuck the Rockets, I hope one blows up their fucking arena (also a double fuck you to them for forcing the Aeros out of town).

I know the West is wide open and that the seedings for 2,3,5 and 6 aren't set but if the current seeds are still in place by week's end, we could have some really fun matchups for the playoffs.  

With the Clip in the 5 spot, that would set up a nice 2nd round matchup with the Warriors since this is the new big rivalry in the NBA. Portland could just as easily beat the Clippers but I don't think so with all of their injuries. 

I could see Dallas upsetting Memphis in Round 1 or getting swept. I just don't know about this Dallas team. A Dallas win would set up the 2nd round matchup of Spurs-Dallas from last year. 

I don't necessarily want the Spurs to play the Rockets but wouldn't mind if we get a replay of this scene...

https://youtu.be/J-_yTBT5qKQ

• Like 1

What Memphis needs is a healthy Mike Conley and that guy hasn't been around since the All Star Break.

In my mind the 4 legit contenders in the West right now are the Spurs, Warriors, Rockets and Clips.  

What Memphis needs is a healthy Mike Conley and that guy hasn't been around since the All Star Break.

In my mind the 4 legit contenders in the West right now are the Spurs, Warriors, Rockets and Clips.

I really don't think I'll ever see the Clips or the Rockets as contenders until they give me a reason to.

Dear OKC: Please beat the Pacers tomorrow.

Thanks!

Mike

Also wrecking Jason Kidd's season tommorow would be nice. Put these two things together, and Nets clinch.

I really don't think I'll ever see the Clips or the Rockets as contenders until they give me a reason to.

That's fair. The reason I put them with the other two is they have guys who can be the best player on the floor any given night. Whether that will translate over a series remains to be seen.

That's fair. The reason I put them with the other two is they have guys who can be the best player on the floor any given night. Whether that will translate over a series remains to be seen.

With the Clippers, I think they'd be fine if they didn't run into Memphis every year.  They have the talent, but they don't have the balls to have a knock down, drag out series.  With the Rockets, I think it just comes down to semantics.  1 great player(2 if Dwight shows up) and a decent coach won't win a 7 game series.  Popovich, Carlisle, Doc, and at this point even Steve Kerr would eat McHale's lunch coaching a series.

This Detroit season is built on two big "what if" questions:  What if they had dumped Josh Smith much earlier, before starting 5-23, and what if Jennings hadn't gotten hurt during the big playoff push/they hadn't upset the chemistry with the Jackson trade (once Reggie settled in, they start playing pretty well again, but I think they lost the first ten after the trade.)

On paper, at least, there's a lot to look forward too next year, and some huge question marks.

Season's over for Miami. Thank God.

And yet still, somehow, less frustrating than last year and hey Whiteside.
If they want to rig a lottery for Miami like they rigged a couple for Cleveland, that's aok by me. Hell, they can even rig it so the Lakers get Okafor at #1 and, say, Miami gets Justice at #3. I'm not greedy.
  • Like 1

I'm hoping Clarkson's play will sway them away from going after Rondo.

We were talking at a Sixers board about what we should want the Lakers to do to keep their pick valuable for next year. I had sign Rondo at the top. That would eat a large chunk of the cap space and not improve the team.

The top of my draft board hasn't changed much from what I posted on March 7th here prior to the tourney. The changes

1. Towns

2. Okafor +1

3. Russell -1

4. Mudiay

5. Hezonja

Only change in the top 5 was swapping Okafor and Russell. I don't trust Okafor's defense. When you consider that at the all-star break Kevin Love was still the most efficient low post player in the league the potential for his offensive game is just huge. He has the same low post skills of Cousins and, unlike Cousins, he knows his limitations and won't be shooting over half his shots from ranges he can't hit. Has the same passing ability too. Not as good on defense and not as good a rebounder. Cousins has top 5 player in the league potential with more maturity, and better efficiency, which would come from the maturity I think. Just not seeing that at all with Okafor due to lack of awareness on the defensive end.

6. Porzingis +1

7. Winslow +1

8. Johnson -2

9. Lyles +6

10. Kaminsky +2

Lyles has jumped the most since he finally had the impact performances I had been waiting for. Johnson dropped to 8 which jumped Porzingis and Winslow up 1. Most people have jumped Winslow up even more. Have no faith yet in his ability to create his own shot. I still like Johnson as a defender, his overall competitiveness and fire is second to none in the draft. His finishing skills are pretty poor though and he should be able to absorb contact easier considering his size. I moved Kaminsky up to 12 from 10. I'm not sure he'll be more than a back up but he should be a good backup. Has a good handle for his size and knows how to get the most out of what skills he has.

11. Looney -2

12. Cauley- Stein -1

13. Oubre

14. Turner -4

15. Tyus Jones +1

WCS drops 1 and most people have him in the top 10. I see him ranked in the top 10 a lot and just don't see it. Doesn't look like he even wants to be playing basketball sometimes. He gets compared to Chandler a lot and I don't think he is that athletic. Looney drops 2 even I still like him. Reminds me of Thaddeus Young still in a lot of ways. Only Young has never been able to dribble and Looney has a great handle. Problem with Looney is he will have to play the 4 and he is sightly undersized and needs to get a lot stronger. Turner drops 4 and even this feels high. He can shoot and he can block shots. Those 2 things together in the modern NBA sounds like an ideal 4. Problem is his legs. I don't know what it is that is wrong but something isn't right. He legs move like they are synthetic. Almost like he is playing on stilts. Watching him run would be funny if I didn't think there was a potential issue there. I have had Jones higher than most people all season. Looks like everyone else has finally moved him up. True his athleticism is lacking but mentally he is a basketball savant. You can do alright in this league at PG that way. Sure there will be defensive issues but the top PGs are for the most part offensively unstoppable.

16. Wright -2

17. Dekker +3

18. Grant -1

19. Booker

20. Poeltl

Dekker has climbed higher on a lot of boards. He jumped 3 with me for being a better athlete than I thought. Able to get by players I didn't he could. Wright and Grant are both good value senior pgs. Booker might be hurt some by playing for Kentucky. That dribble drive offense doesn't do anyone any favors. Especially a pure shooter like Booker. Just haven't seen enough to be comfortable which isn't good since I have watched more Kentucky games this year than any other team. Draftexpress has moved Poeltl all the way up to 11.

Guys not in my top 20. I am seeing Kris Dunn in the lottery a lot now. I haven't been impressed when I have seen him. Those games against good teams though. His decision making was pretty bad though in those games. He never passed the ball to a referee like Michael Carter Williams though.

This Detroit season is built on two big "what if" questions:  What if they had dumped Josh Smith much earlier, before starting 5-23, and what if Jennings hadn't gotten hurt during the big playoff push/they hadn't upset the chemistry with the Jackson trade (once Reggie settled in, they start playing pretty well again, but I think they lost the first ten after the trade.)

On paper, at least, there's a lot to look forward too next year, and some huge question marks.

I think the timing of the improvement was in part a coincidence with cutting Smith. Drummond started off the season really bad while getting accustomed to an expanded role on offense. Jennings was playing hurt in December and was pretty awful. He was healthy again in January and Drummond was playing well again. Jennings was playing well in November and nose dived when he had the injured thumb. He went from 18 ppg in November to 9 ppg in December back up to 20 in January. They wouldn't have cut him if he wasn't a problem in some way. You would get an improvement just because it takes 1 shooter out of the lineup shooting less than 40%. Pistons had 3 at that point with Smith, Jennings and Pope. I think the effect would have been the same by just moving Smith to the bench and starting Monroe. I think he gave up on Monroe and Drummond starting together too soon into the season.