ChesterCopperpot

Might as well look at other awards.

6th Man.

1. Tristan Thompson

2. Isaiah Thomas

3. Nikola Mirotic

4. Andre Iguodala

5. Jamal Crawford

Thompson has the most starts here at 14. Most impact on both ends of the court for the 6th men. Thomas helping Boston make a late playoff push. Mirotic has been vital the last month for Chicago.

Most Improved

1. Hassan Whiteside

2. Rudy Gobert

3. Jimmy Butler

I hate putting someone as young as Gobert in. Late first rounder though and already a defensive stud.

Rookie of the year

1. Nikola Mirotic- Mirotic is first in WS despite the lesser minutes. First in PER as well. Vital run for a playoff team down the stretch.

2. Nerlens Noel- Noel is the top 10 in the league in most defensive categories.

3. Andrew Wiggins- Can't justify putting him higher when he has nothing going for him but PPG. If he did anything else I would put him higher.

4. Jordan Clarkson- 2nd in PER behind Mirotic. Averages more PPG, rebounds, assists and steals per 36 than Wiggins. Definitely has a case to be 3rd.

5. Elfrid Payton- Most improved from early in the season. Though you could make a case for Noel too since his offense was pretty bad. Guy knows his limitations which is something that matters. Wish MCW had figured that out.

I still don't love that Mirotic and Noel are eligible for ROY by the way.

Will have to go over MVP later. Last time I looked LeBron was the clear number 1. Will have to see if that has balanced out. Just remember them being 2-9 without him and team play drops way more when he is off the court than for the other candidates. They had roster issues though so this might not be so bad now. Not sure when I last looked.

Who would you LEAST want to play pick-up basketball with?

1) The dude at the gym in our modern era wearing the Curry jersey

vs.

2) The dude in 2004 at the gym wearing a Kobe jersey?

It's a tough call.

The Curry guy obviously has better basketball taste. But you know he's going to be the smallest guy on the court who will not blink an eye to do some awful attempt at a crossover followed by a step-back 30-foot three that will clang off the backboard. Without once looking to pass. Or the few times he does pass, he tries for some ridiculous no-look thing that cracks off your thumb. It's a shame, because you'd think a Curry guy would get basketball but doesn't.

The Kobe guy would obviously just hog the ball and do a lot of screaming foul before actually putting up a shot. But I know that dude going in hasn't watched basketball for more than three months and is a total clown. I can live with that and will enjoy watching him suck at basketball in an odd way.

• Like 2

Has anyone heard about how the players want to have their own awards show where they vote on MVP, DPOY, ROY, etc? 

We need to get this started right now, it could end up being the best television show ever.

Tracy McGrady may have been good at basketball but he's awful at TV. Never again, TNT, never again.

Isiah Thomas, on the other hand, is so good at TV that he's successfully made me overlook how awful he was as an executive. Actually, he seems so smart about basketball that I have no idea how he was so bad at running the Knicks.

• Like 2

Has anyone heard about how the players want to have their own awards show where they vote on MVP, DPOY, ROY, etc? 

We need to get this started right now, it could end up being the best television show ever.

I'd pay just to see Westbrook straight-up DDT'ing dudes for the MVP trophy, with that setting Russ up for a big boot and leg drop from LeBron.

Might as well look at other awards.

6th Man.

1. Tristan Thompson

2. Isaiah Thomas

3. Nikola Mirotic

4. Andre Iguodala

5. Jamal Crawford

Thompson has the most starts here at 14. Most impact on both ends of the court for the 6th men. Thomas helping Boston make a late playoff push. Mirotic has been vital the last month for Chicago.

Most Improved

1. Hassan Whiteside

2. Rudy Gobert

3. Jimmy Butler

I hate putting someone as young as Gobert in. Late first rounder though and already a defensive stud.

Rookie of the year

1. Nikola Mirotic- Mirotic is first in WS despite the lesser minutes. First in PER as well. Vital run for a playoff team down the stretch.

2. Nerlens Noel- Noel is the top 10 in the league in most defensive categories.

3. Andrew Wiggins- Can't justify putting him higher when he has nothing going for him but PPG. If he did anything else I would put him higher.

4. Jordan Clarkson- 2nd in PER behind Mirotic. Averages more PPG, rebounds, assists and steals per 36 than Wiggins. Definitely has a case to be 3rd.

5. Elfrid Payton- Most improved from early in the season. Though you could make a case for Noel too since his offense was pretty bad. Guy knows his limitations which is something that matters. Wish MCW had figured that out.

I still don't love that Mirotic and Noel are eligible for ROY by the way.

Will have to go over MVP later. Last time I looked LeBron was the clear number 1. Will have to see if that has balanced out. Just remember them being 2-9 without him and team play drops way more when he is off the court than for the other candidates. They had roster issues though so this might not be so bad now. Not sure when I last looked.

Clarkson has been the one highlight/positive we've had  in LA for the past THREE years!!! I'm surprised we haven't built him a statue yet. :)

Would have been interesting how the ROY race would have gone if Parker & Randle hadn't gotten injured. I'm assuming Randle won't qualify as a rookie next season if he played a few minutes in 1 game this season.

Clarkson has been the one highlight/positive we've had  in LA for the past THREE years!!! I'm surprised we haven't built him a statue yet. :)

Would have been interesting how the ROY race would have gone if Parker & Randle hadn't gotten injured. I'm assuming Randle won't qualify as a rookie next season if he played a few minutes in 1 game this season.

Randle looked pretty good in the preseason. Him Clarkson and this years pick should be a good starting point. I imagine one of the 2 bigs would be ideal. Our chance of grabbing your pick this year is pretty much locked in at 17%. Not great but that is higher odds than getting the 1st pick. I think Parker would have own rookie of the year if healthy. Bucks were playing well. He was putting up good numbers against good teams. Injuries really nailed this years draft class. His defense wasn't all that good though. He was over 5 rebounds per game though. It has become clear with Wiggins that a lot of people just look at PPG so Parker would have the best shot. It looks like people are still picking Wiggins. Saw this posted elsewhere. Based on on court production Wiggins will be in the argument for worst ever season for a rookie of the year. I wouldn't read too much into what that means going forward though. Just a good illustration of how the early returns on this hyped rookie class aren't all that great. Here is how he compares to other rookie of the years' rookie seasons:

VORP

-.3 3rd Worst  (42 of 44)

BPM

-2.4 3rd Worst (42 of 44)

DBPM

-1.8 6th Worst   (39 of 44)

OBPM

-.6 tied for 6th worst  (39 of 44)

WS

1.9 5th worst (61st of 66)

DWS

.1 All time worst (66 of 66)

OWS

1.9 Tied for 12th worst (53 of 66)

WS/48

.033 5th worst (62 of 66)

PER

13.6 Tied for 3rd worst (63 of 66)

Rebounds per 36

4.4 Tied for 8th worst  (55 of 66)

Assists per 36

1.9 tied for 10th worst (56 of 66)

Points per 36

16.7 tied for 15th worst  (49 of 66)

TS%

.515% tied for 25th worst.  (41 of 66)

Steals per 36

1.0 Tied for 29th worst. (29 of 44)

Blocks per 36

.6 tied for 20th (20th of 44)

Offensive Rating

102 tied for 33rd (33rd of 40)

Defensive Rating

114 2nd worst ever (39 of 40)

Games tonight have been great. Best night of basketball of the year. The results couldn't be any worse for the Sixers as far as getting the top 10 protected Miami pick. No tears here though. Mid first rounders are usually career backups (average 18 minutes per game). There might be some rationalizing but this has been like the start of the playoffs. Plus the Sixers and Heat play their last games against each other. Could be epic if both teams are looking to lose. I was expecting that from the Lakers and Sixers games. Apparently Clarkson and Lin didn't get the memos.

Of course as soon as I send this the Rockets Spurs game becomes the foul Josh Smith show losing all entertainment value. It is working though he is missing them.

Edited by Cole Miner

Yeah I don't know what the hell Pop was trying to prove with the Josh Smith fouling for 30 freaking free throws. However, that block by Duncan to end the game was the exclamation point on an awesome game by Tim.

How old is he again?

Tracy McGrady may have been good at basketball but he's awful at TV. Never again, TNT, never again.

Isiah Thomas, on the other hand, is so good at TV that he's successfully made me overlook how awful he was as an executive. Actually, he seems so smart about basketball that I have no idea how he was so bad at running the Knicks.

Watching Isiah on TV makes me completely understand how he grifted James Dolan for all those years. 

• Like 2

Nets magic number is 2. They just skullfucked the Wizards tonight, who looked beyond horrible. They need Wall or they are fucked against the Bulls or Raptors big time.

Yeah I don't know what the hell Pop was trying to prove with the Josh Smith fouling for 30 freaking free throws. However, that block by Duncan to end the game was the exclamation point on an awesome game by Tim.

How old is he again?

I hope Duncan keeps going until he is physically incapable. He never excelled because of athleticism so he should have a longer shelf life. I was watching the Houston feed. They weren't happy there wasn't a foul call. They do have a point since it looks like Duncan didn't hit the ball at all. All I can see to that is all well with all the bullshit calls that usually go Harden's way. Whistles usually go silent at that point. Especially when the one committing the foul is a hall of famer. I can get why they would get out of shape though. Like you said earlier in the week this was a game that could decide first round home court.

I was at a Spurs fan site and somebody did a frame by frame of that last block. Tim made contact with the ball first. The contact with the arm is what allowed Tim to grab the ball and then toss it to secure the win.

I think Tim plays at least one more year. Tim made a shit load of money but got divorced a couple of years ago and she made a dent into the bank account. People don't mention it but I think he wants to pad the account a little more since he is still playing better than 90% of the league. I think Manu is done though after these playoffs.