DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2014-15 Regular Season - 2nd Half

ChesterCopperpot

My boy Isaiah Canaan and Ish Smith almost beat the Bulls last night.  They spent the first 3 quarters jacking up shitty threes, before finally realizing that running a pick and roll on Brooks/Pau is free points.  Of course, its all good because Brooks and Pau carried the offense.  Incredible shooting display by Brooks in the 4th and OT.

The Bulls were REALLY shorthanded last night.  How shorthanded?

0a2aafa5b8ddd93f9f80932c2682e740_normal.Nick Friedell I was trying to think of a more short-handed lineup that I've seen in 5 1/2 years doing this job: I came up with March 16, 2010 @ Memphis.

0a2aafa5b8ddd93f9f80932c2682e740_normal.Nick Friedell Vinny Del Negro was still the coach. The Bulls starting 5 that night: Flip Murray, Jannero Pargo, Acie Law, Taj Gibson and Brad Miller.

Bulls had Hakim Warrick, Devin Brown, James Johnson, Chris Richard and Joe Alexander coming off the bench that night via @bball_ref.

YO I WAS AT THAT GAME! HAHA 

I knew we weren't going to see Deng, but the news broke on Noah and Rose sitting out when we were about 30 minutes outside of Memphis.  The worst pro game I've ever seen.  Memphis wasn't even that great back then, but if I recall we were down 25 real quick.

• Like 1

Nerlens looked great on pick and roll and help D, but Pau bullied him in the post.  To those of you who watch more Philly games than I do, does he struggle against low post bigs?

Only if they are the complete package. He can be moved by stronger players obviously. His hands are so fast though that it requires a big with great ball handling skills. He gets so much height jumping that the usual space creating moves/shots aren't as effective. So someone has to be real crafty with when and how they shoot. Takes skills that most players don't have. It was actually the first time he fouled out of a game last night. Most of the time the rewards aren't worth the risks so teams stop going back to it. Doesn't surprise me it was Gasol that worked him like that. He's 2nd in the league in scoring efficiency from the post behind Love. D'Antoni should owe Gasol some cash for dropping his value that much. Great bargain for you guys though. Been very good on both ends. His name has been high on the list of defensive impact at nba.com in the player tracking section all season.

I give Irving his props but Spurs gave this one away. If Kawhi makes one of his last three free throws, no overtime. If the Spurs foul immediately on the inbounds play and Cavs are forced to shoot free throws, no overtime. Fucking NBA... the shit that makes you pull out your hair. 

I look at it like this. LeBron had a nice game. Not crazy but decent. Kyrie was out of his fucking mind which happens from time to time. He's got the Kobe ability of making a string of impossible shots. When he has it going you just have to sit back and shake your head. 

With all that...  the Spurs lose by 3 in overtime.  Cleveland has work to do.

I look at it like this. LeBron had a nice game. Not crazy but decent. Kyrie was out of his fucking mind which happens from time to time. He's got the Kobe ability of making a string of impossible shots. When he has it going you just have to sit back and shake your head. 

Obviously Cleveland still has some work to do, but I feel like you can find outliers in any victory. I mean, the spurs aren't going to always shoot 60% from the field as a team. Since Lebron has come back, the Cavs are 22-2 in games in which Irving, Love and Lebron all played. Many of those victories were against western conference teams and good east teams. 

My major concern right now is that the 2 seed, which they seem pretty locked in to is quite clearly the hardest road in the East: round one against the Pacers with a returning Paul George, round two against the Bulls with a returning D Rose, conference Finals against the Hawks. That's tough for anyone. 

Obviously Cleveland still has some work to do, but I feel like you can find outliers in any victory. I mean, the spurs aren't going to always shoot 60% from the field as a team. Since Lebron has come back, the Cavs are 22-2 in games in which Irving, Love and Lebron all played. Many of those victories were against western conference teams and good east teams. 

My major concern right now is that the 2 seed, which they seem pretty locked in to is quite clearly the hardest road in the East: round one against the Pacers with a returning Paul George, round two against the Bulls with a returning D Rose, conference Finals against the Hawks. That's tough for anyone. 

But according to Grantland, the conference is a disgrace, on a level that requires blowing up the entire league. Not just Simmons and Lowe being full of shit. . . . 

• Like 1

Another solid game tonight for Nerlens Noel with 16 and 12

Ha. Sort of.  If you ask Nerlens how he felt about the game last night, even with the win, I doubt he would say he enjoyed it.  They are asking an awful lot of the guy to leave him on an island with Boogie.

He is having a great month.  The steals are absurd.

Nerlens looked great on pick and roll and help D, but Pau bullied him in the post.  To those of you who watch more Philly games than I do, does he struggle against low post bigs?

Only if they are the complete package. He can be moved by stronger players obviously. His hands are so fast though that it requires a big with great ball handling skills. He gets so much height jumping that the usual space creating moves/shots aren't as effective. So someone has to be real crafty with when and how they shoot. Takes skills that most players don't have. It was actually the first time he fouled out of a game last night. Most of the time the rewards aren't worth the risks so teams stop going back to it. Doesn't surprise me it was Gasol that worked him like that. He's 2nd in the league in scoring efficiency from the post behind Love. D'Antoni should owe Gasol some cash for dropping his value that much. Great bargain for you guys though. Been very good on both ends. His name has been high on the list of defensive impact at nba.com in the player tracking section all season.

Speaking of, thanks for this.  Helped me make the decision to play Boogie in DFS last night.

39 24 4 1 1. Sheesh.

Speaking of, thanks for this.  Helped me make the decision to play Boogie in DFS last night.

39 24 4 1 1. Sheesh.

He took only 1 shot last night that wasn't around the basket. Rest of the league should be thankful that he has such terrible shot selection on most nights. 30% of his attempts are from mid range and 25% from long range. Hits the mid range ones 31% of the time and long range 35%. No way 55% of his attempts should be shots he hits 35% of the time or less. There should have been more help on him. He leads the league in turnovers. Put pressure on him. They were saying on the broadcast that Karl wants to take him out of the low post even more. Insanity.

But according to Grantland, the conference is a disgrace, on a level that requires blowing up the entire league. Not just Simmons and Lowe being full of shit. . . . 

Adrian Wojnarowski?! On my DVDR?!

Golden State's second quarter tonight was unreal. The final shot -- Bogut to Steph on a touchdown pass for buzzer-beating 30-footer -- is godlike.

They did it against a D League team so it doesn't count.

Was at Nets-Sixers and it was basically two bad teams playing bad. Didn't help that the officials decided to take the broken windows theory and apply it to officiating a basketball game, resulting in a parade to the free throw line.