DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

And also, the WWE's champions list since the Hogan era includes Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio, Chris Benoit, Eddy Guerrero, CM Punk, Mick Foley, Edge, Jeff Hardy and Daniel Bryan. None of those guys are bodybuilders at all

Can we get past the "Vince only likes muscle guys?" talking point that any shred of evidence shows is false?

Please.

Most of the guys in that list got roided up in order to qualify for a world title push.  One of them was so roided up he died.  Get out of here with this disingenuous bullshit.

There's a difference between using steroids and having a roid frame. That's what I meant. None of them looked like The Ultimate Warrior or Hogan or Diesel or Taker or Kane. There are plenty of smaller framed guys/shorter guys who had big runs.

Your point was Benoit, Eddie, Rey, blah blah "prove" that Vince likes more than just muscle guys.  My point is that Vince wouldn't have pushed any of them if they hadn't become muscle guys.  Fuuuuuuck.  You are the most willfully obtuse person here.

Is this really needed?

In the Rumble thread you insinuated anyone who didn't like Reigns winning was more or less just an Indy mark who only cheers for guys we watched in gyms. So you kinda brought in on yourself.

I apologize for that. I think I did in that thread, too. But, yeah, I was out of line. That said -- this is a completely different thread.

Can not every thread be about me? It's really dumb and I don't like it.

I would say you jumped right into it at the very middle, but you have a fair point. I concende the thread... Or something.

• Like 1

Can not every thread be about me? It's really dumb and I don't like it.

You bring it on yourself by making sure everyone knows that you watch wrestling "the right way."  It's creeping into STL Cardinal fan territory and that shit is going to be derided.  

Stop talking down to people.  It will work wonders.

• Like 3

I feel like we need to discuss the lack of Ryback at Mania. He's going to win the Andre Battle Royal and turn that into something unlike whoever the jobber who won last year right?

The only acceptable ending to the battle royal is Miz and Sandow as the final two, Miz demands Sandow eliminate himself, and Sandow finally snaps and turns, eliminating Miz to win.

• Like 1

Come on man,you pick fucking smash mouth cover? I have something new to rage about now.

Ha. Then it worked. You thought I was sticking up for Gregg? The joke's on you, I was just stealing his heat!

I'm unsubscribing to your youtube channel!

No, no, no wait! I'm so sorry! Please don't do it!!!!!!!!!

I wish NJPW World was an app on Roku or even PS4. I would be glad to trick my PS4 into thinking that it lived in Japan. 

Another, different thought that doesn't deserve a thread: Isn't it good when wrestling makes us into marks? Like, shouldn't I care about who the champion is? Furthermore, shouldn't I care about my favorite guy being presented as the king of the faux-fisties? The point of wrestling is to get me to willingly suspend disbelief and buy in to the mystique of the wrestlers, championships, etc. When did "mark" become an insult rather than a goal for people who can see behind the curtain, but still want to believe anyway?

Man, I don't agree with Gregg at all, but I really feel for him when some of you start to gang up on him and make it personal.

Yep. I'm making it personal with "Sorry your favorite play-fighter lost. Hope things go better for you."

That was in retalition to your post and you know it.

You mean the post were he asked a legitimate question?

No. The "You're a treasure" post.

You mean the one after Greg responded with "maybe they did it to rile you up?"

I find this conversation thoroughly strange, because historically when I'm getting personal, it's usually pretty well indisputable that I'm doing so.

Rey/Eddie/Benoit looked freaky at various points in their later and/or WWE careers.  The only place the physiques on those guys would be natural would be Eternia.  Eddie had veins bigger than X-Pac's arms.  Benoit looked like he couldn't bend over to touch his toes and/or clasp his hands behind his back (a normal warmup stretch).  Rey went through various stages and put on so much muscle weight that he didn't resemble the guy from AAA/WCW if you didn't recognize his mask.

The "small" guys like Bret or HBK were all tall compared to the last few waves of wrestlers that came up through the independent promotions. It definitely isn't as blatant as it was in the 80s but tall and/or muscled will always be their first choice.

• Like 4

Come on man,you pick fucking smash mouth cover? I have something new to rage about now.

Ha. Then it worked. You thought I was sticking up for Gregg? The joke's on you, I was just stealing his heat!

And this is my lesson for you all. Always target were it hurts :)

Also, I'm fucking around. Don't want your subscriber count back down to 50 :)

• Like 1

Superst*r Billy Graham called to say "Hello."

mco543, on 25 Feb 2015 - 10:58 PM, said:

Reigns is 29 and Bryan is 33 with a fuckton of miles on him. If Roman stays as healthy as any other top tier guy there is no reason to think he can't have a John Cena-like run on top and main event until he's in his late 30's. The only difference is that with Roman they have a guy who they can turn back and fourth and have him main event as a heel.

Actually there are several reasons to think he can't have a John Cena like run. Let's start with the fact that no one besides maybe a few hundred women at each show even care about him. Then there's the fact he's no where near Cena's level of charisma, and is no where near Cena on the mic. Maybe one day he'll be a great big match worker, but as of now he's no where near Cena in that regard either.

This is the most forced and unnatural push to being "the guy" that I've ever seen.

And this is my lesson for you all. Always target were it hurts :)

Also, I'm fucking around. Don't want your subscriber count back down to 50 :)

Just for you, I'm gonna stop procrastinating and actually edit together this #IDARB video I've been sitting in front of for 3 hours, doing jack shit with.

Smelly McUgly, on 26 Feb 2015 - 12:35 PM, said:Smelly McUgly, on 26 Feb 2015 - 12:35 PM, said:

I wish NJPW World was an app on Roku or even PS4. I would be glad to trick my PS4 into thinking that it lived in Japan. 

Another, different thought that doesn't deserve a thread: Isn't it good when wrestling makes us into marks? Like, shouldn't I care about who the champion is? Furthermore, shouldn't I care about my favorite guy being presented as the king of the faux-fisties? The point of wrestling is to get me to willingly suspend disbelief and buy in to the mystique of the wrestlers, championships, etc. When did "mark" become an insult rather than a goal for people who can see behind the curtain, but still want to believe anyway?

You're a bad fan if the guy you like isn't the guy the company wants to push. You should turn your brain off and enjoy the compelling captivating and totally sense making storylines that the genius VKM writes. If you pesky smarks had just let things play out we could've had an all time Mania main event of Batista vs Orton last year. Now you're trying to deprive all the "good fans" of seeing the crowning of a guy 80% of the crowd could give two shits about. Stop ruining the show by telling them what you want something something.

• Like 1

Superst*r Billy Graham called to say "Hello."

mco543, on 25 Feb 2015 - 10:58 PM, said:

Reigns is 29 and Bryan is 33 with a fuckton of miles on him. If Roman stays as healthy as any other top tier guy there is no reason to think he can't have a John Cena-like run on top and main event until he's in his late 30's. The only difference is that with Roman they have a guy who they can turn back and fourth and have him main event as a heel.

Actually there are several reasons to think he can't have a John Cena like run. Let's start with the fact that no one besides maybe a few hundred women at each show even care about him. Then there's the fact he's no where near Cena's level of charisma, and is no where near Cena on the mic. Maybe one day he'll be a great big match worker, but as of now he's no where near Cena in that regard either.

This is the most forced and unnatural push to being "the guy" that I've ever seen.

Before my time so I didn't see it.

The plight of the Divas is hilarious.  There's like 15 of them on the main roster.  If people tagging hash really wanted them to get equal treatment to the men then over half of them would've been fired a long time ago.

You know who else can't do the finer technical aspects of professional wrestling and never gets anytime on Raw?  Bears.  #GiveBearsAChance.

I'm on the Roman Reigns bandwagon but a better WrestleMania main event would be Brock Lesnar defending the WWE World Heavyweight Championship against A BEAR!

• Like 5

The plight of the Divas is hilarious.  There's like 15 of them on the main roster.  If people tagging hash really wanted them to get equal treatment to the men then over half of them would've been fired a long time ago.

You know who else can't do the finer technical aspects of professional wrestling and never gets anytime on Raw?  Bears.  #GiveBearsAChance.

I'm on the Roman Reigns bandwagon but a better WrestleMania main event would be Brock Lesnar defending the WWE World Heavyweight Championship against A BEAR!

200_s.gif

• Like 3

Jesus, Greg, I apologize, this post pisses me off significantly more then anything you've said.

• Like 5

You know who else can't do the finer technical aspects of professional wrestling and never gets anytime on Raw? Bears. #GiveBearsAChance.

I kind of take issue with what you're saying with this "funny" "joke." There are several divas who not only can do the finer technical aspects of wrestling, they excel at it.

Back to the also-"funny" Bunkhouse Buck fantasy booking with you.

• Like 1

I have to say I do get Jrag's frustration with not getting to see Daniel Bryan vs Lesnar. That is a no doubt about it all time classic. Though I do think Sheamus vs Lesnar would be even better. That can be settled in March Madness though. Wait no it can't he didn't even get in. Hope that doesn't mean no Dylan Waco. I like being reminded that there is at least 1 person on the planet with similar taste as me. Oh boy no Mark Henry either.