DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I don't think they had much interaction at all other than a promo or two by Goldust talking about how he wants to fuck Razor and the announcers mentioning how Goldust has "his sights set on Razor" during a Razor squash or two. Then Razor didn't re-sign and they wrote him out of Mania and a week or two later, Goldust did a segment doing basically the same stuff but talking about Piper instead of Razor and it went from there.

RAW on May 26th, 1997 has Vince McMahon say to Faarooq: "About your use of the race card, aren't you just patronizing the blacks?" Yep. He said "the blacks" like Donald Trump would say. I totally forgot about this. 

Then Lawler cut that promo on Goldust where he infamously called him a "flaming fag." 

I was so embarrassed even though I was alone in the room that I thought about crawling under the couch in humiliation. I look forward to this sort of stuff getting worse! 

(I don't actually look forward to it and wonder how I'll be able to get through '99 RAW without giving up.)

RAW on May 26th, 1997 has Vince McMahon say to Faarooq: "About your use of the race card, aren't you just patronizing the blacks?" Yep. He said "the blacks" like Donald Trump would say. I totally forgot about this. 

Then Lawler cut that promo on Goldust where he infamously called him a "flaming fag." 

I was so embarrassed even though I was alone in the room that I thought about crawling under the couch in humiliation. I look forward to this sort of stuff getting worse! 

(I don't actually look forward to it and wonder how I'll be able to get through '99 RAW without giving up.)

Just do yourself a favor and stop watching old school wrestling.  Clearly people might say things that were acceptable then that aren't acceptable now that will really upset you.   The further back you go, the more outraged you may get.  1988 Memphis would probably give you a heart attack.

And you'll give up on 1999 RAW not because it's offensive, but because it's fucking horrible.  At least until Russo and Ferrara leave.

But yeah, holy shit.  Austin/HBK v Bulldog/Owen might be the pinnacle of 1997 RAW. 

• Like 2

I don't think they had much interaction at all other than a promo or two by Goldust talking about how he wants to fuck Razor and the announcers mentioning how Goldust has "his sights set on Razor" during a Razor squash or two. Then Razor didn't re-sign and they wrote him out of Mania and a week or two later, Goldust did a segment doing basically the same stuff but talking about Piper instead of Razor and it went from there.

Didn't Goldust feel him up or something after a match? Like Razor got knocked out by whatever heel he was facing and Goldust crawled all over him? I vaguely remember a RAW where Razor brawled with Goldust backstage and it spilled outside the arena.

Just do yourself a favor and stop watching old school wrestling.  Clearly people might say things that were acceptable then that aren't acceptable now that will really upset you.   The further back you go, the more outraged you may get.  1988 Memphis would probably give you a heart attack.

And you'll give up on 1999 RAW not because it's offensive, but because it's fucking horrible.  At least until Russo and Ferrara leave.

But yeah, holy shit.  Austin/HBK v Bulldog/Owen might be the pinnacle of 1997 RAW. 

Weird thing to say, frankly, and I think that's because you misread me. I'm not upset so much as embarrassed for both the people who wrote/thought up that stuff and thought it was anything but ridiculous and for myself as a wrestling fan because this is what Vince McMahon thinks of as mature storytelling.

I love goofy pro wrestling stories and don't really have problems with stuff that would be socially hated on now (like a ton of things from southern promotions in the '80s), but this episode had extremely goofy writing/promoing that I sense was meant to be more than that. I believe that they thought that this was mature and compelling on a level beyond pro wrestling, and nope, it was just laughably terrible (unlike the Pillman/Austin gun angle, which was thoroughly entertaining in its trashiness). This is IIRC the way it goes for RAW over the next few years, which other than Austin vs. McMahon is the hallmark of the Attitude Era. 

I dug Austin/HBK vs. Bulldog/Owen as a match, but as a whole show, 4/21/97 is still the pinnacle of 1997 RAW from my POV on re-watch.

I stick to my assertion that the Attitude Era was shitty wrestling that drew lots of people to watch a product that would have been just as happy to watch monster trucks if there were more boobs.

• Like 2

I stick to my assertion that the Attitude Era was shitty wrestling that drew lots of people to watch a product that would been just as happy to watch monster trucks if there were more boobs.

THIS.  The Attitude Era wasn't great because of booking/storylines.  It was in spite of them.  Austin, Rock, Foley, Undertaker, etc elevated shitty material to something decent.  People who clamor for a return to this don't seem to get that Raw won't magically be good again if we just throw in some tits and violence.

• Like 1

I stick to my assertion that the Attitude Era was shitty wrestling that drew lots of people to watch a product that would been just as happy to watch monster trucks if there were more boobs.

THIS.  The Attitude Era wasn't great because of booking/storylines.  It was in spite of them.  Austin, Rock, Foley, Undertaker, etc elevated shitty material to something decent.  People who clamor for a return to this don't seem to get that Raw won't magically be good again if we just throw in some tits and violence.

Exactly. Stellar, once in a generation talent, given awful material and making it fly.

• Like 1

And in comparison to ECW, which was just as trashy, ECW didn't feel try-hard like WWF Attitude storylines oftentimes do. They felt genuine - less cringey for me even if some of the tropes that they use are problematic. 

The wrestling itself in '99 ECW, while not as good to me as '95-'97, is also worlds better than in '99 WWF. 

The Attitude Era would not have worked if it had not been for the incredible talent that made some of that drivel work. You put Vince Russo in charge of current WWE and give the current guys the same material and it'd flop. The in-ring talent today is better but I'm not sure that they could do Russo like Rock, Austin, Foley and Undertaker did. 

• Like 1

Glad that no one will give me shit for thinking the Attitude Era was dog shit. Finally, something no one will call me a contrarian or asshole about. It was a terrible, terrible time. What I will say is that X-Pac was pretty fucking good until the DX heel turn, but then he was pretty fucking good again as part of X-Factor and the nWo in 2002. Rock/Pac from one of the UK shows right after Rock won the title is probably my favorite title match of 1998. I also believe him to be the second most over face in 1998/1999. Dude never gets credit for being MONSTER over.

Mike Jackson is quickly becoming my favorite "jobber" of all time.

There's a Arn Anderson vs. Mike Jackson match on one of those shows and Arn has a really good match with him... worth looking for

I saw that one a few days ago. It was actually really good. Arn did a great interview afterwards saying that the only reason he took so long to win was that he was training for the R&R Express so he wanted to test out some strategy on a smaller, quicker wrestler like Mike Jackson.

Glad that no one will give me shit for thinking the Attitude Era was dog shit. Finally, something no one will call me a contrarian or asshole about. It was a terrible, terrible time. What I will say is that X-Pac was pretty fucking good until the DX heel turn, but then he was pretty fucking good again as part of X-Factor and the nWo in 2002. Rock/Pac from one of the UK shows right after Rock won the title is probably my favorite title match of 1998. I also believe him to be the second most over face in 1998/1999. Dude never gets credit for being MONSTER over.

Here's a list of workers more over as a face than X-Pac in 98-99 that I don't think even you could argue against: Austin, Rock, Foley, Taker, Sable

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XPacHeat

Hey, I dug X-pac as much as anyone else too...but wasn't he always referred to as having "go away heat".