DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

And to some small surprise, Legion renewed for S3.

Reveal hidden contents

5828188-2987844186-the-s.gif

It must be great to program for a TV network without having to worry about nuisances like whether or not people watch your shows.

BTW, is there any known reason why they reused Yukio for Deadpool 2? They could've used the exact same actress, same everything except had her name be Hisako without it effecting anything, and not done a completely different version of a character they already established in The Wolverine.

We finally saw Deadpool 2 last night.  Thoughts with spoiler space for the only thing I feel like can't be referenced without spoiling:

1) The heavily foreshadowed monster was AWESOME, a great use of one of my favorites.

2) I wish SOME of the X-Force members hadn't been reduced to dumb jokes. 

But holy shit, Zeitgeist? With an earnest attempt to make his ridiculous Allred-y mask into a prop?  An excellent silly use of my favorite decoy protagonist. I started laughing hysterically and no one had any idea why.

3) Having the kid from Hunt for the Wilderpeople be the child Wade has to defend was amazing, I can't imagine anyone else playing that role

4) DOMINO WAS PERFECT.

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

BTW, is there any known reason why they reused Yukio for Deadpool 2? They could've used the exact same actress, same everything except had her name be Hisako without it effecting anything, and not done a completely different version of a character they already established in The Wolverine.

Or perhaps there is more than one Japanese person named Yukio?

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

7 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Or perhaps there is more than one Japanese person named Yukio?

The general belief is that they didn't realize the character had been used. It was definitely based on the Yukio from Wolverine's comic. Honestly considering how different they are I think they will just go with with what Zeidler said here. She was more or less an entirely new character anyways with how they wrote her.

worst theater experience: a double date where we saw the movie "Say it isn't so". i found it terribly unfunny, but the group found it hilarious. obnoxious people in the theater. no follow up date.

worst movie/great experience: the local pop radio station was hyping the scariest, goriest horror movie 'Pool Party Massacre'. went with a buddy to see how dumb it would be. it was worse. boom mikes on screen, terrible English dubbing, awkward camera cuts, horrible acting. it was great. released on dvd as 'the pool' if you're interested, but they've cleaned up the worst bits.

Generally when you see boom mics in a shot it's because the projectionist used the wrong gate on the projector.  It seems silly, but they don't letterbox these things out before going to print.

• Like 1

The first time I saw Being John Malkovich in a small art theater, there were boom mics everywhere. At first I thought it may be some sort of meta thing going on in the plot of the movie, then I just realized it was bad framing.

Ong Bak in front of a pretty diverse midnight crowd that had no idea what they were getting into was a great experience. People were going nuts for every shot.

---

Back on topic, the Miles Morales trailer that came out this morning looks like a lot of fun.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:09 PM, Eivion said:

The general belief is that they didn't realize the character had been used. It was definitely based on the Yukio from Wolverine's comic.

Honestly considering how different they are I think they will just go with with what Zeidler said here. She was more or less an entirely new character anyways with how they wrote her.

Yukio from the comics was a street ninja for all intent and purpose with no mutant powers while Yukio from the Wolverine movie was a highly skilled martial artist as well as a mutant pre-cog.

Negasonic Teenage Warhead's kawaii lesbian girlfriend is probably closer to the Wolverine movie version than the one from the comics.

Anyone notice Deadpool 2's description on Rotten Tomatoes?

Spoilers!!!

After surviving a near fatal bovine attack, a disfigured cafeteria chef (Wade Wilson) struggles to fulfill his dream of becoming Miami's hottest bartender, while also learning to cope with his lost sense of taste. Searching to regain his spice for life, as well as a flux capacitor, Wade must battle ninjas, the yakuza, and a pack of sexually aggressive canines, as he journeys around the world to discover the importance of family, friendship, and flavor - finding a new taste for adventure and earning the coveted coffee mug title of World's Best Lover.

• Haha 3

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:47 PM, Eivion said:

So anyone else catch the end of S2 of Legion? I'm curious what peoples' thoughts were. I thought they went a bit too far with one thing. The ending with Shadow king also felt off.

I'm two episodes behind. I'll be caught up by Friday.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I...love it...WHEN...trailers SPLICE....dialogueFROMDIFFERENT....parts of the........MOVIEto...make a sentence

For fuck's sake, the speech at the start of the trailer sounds like it's cobbled from at least six different bits of dialogue.  At some point, isn't it easier to just Skype the actor and have him read the line you need for the trailer?  Fuck, just text him the line and have him read it into your voicemail.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Venom Trailer

Yeah, the symbiote is showing more Alex Mercer / Prototype-ish powers in this trailer.  I am okay with that.