DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

I kinda wish it had been a different incarnation of the Guardians that finally succeeded.  The Bendis book/movie version is ok, but I would much rather have the Abnett/Lanning team or even the original group.  Honestly, I'd mark out for the Abnett/Lanning cosmic stuff (Guardians/Nova/Annihilation/etc.) adapted for the movies.

It was my understanding that the "Bendis version" *is* the movie version. They added Carol and Venom later, but the reason Bendis started with those 5 is that those are the 5 Gunn wanted to use.

(EDITED FOR CLARITY)

I kinda wish it had been a different incarnation of the Guardians that finally succeeded.  The Bendis book/movie version is ok, but I would much rather have the Abnett/Lanning team or even the original group.  Honestly, I'd mark out for the Abnett/Lanning cosmic stuff (Guardians/Nova/Annihilation/etc.) adapted for the movies.

Well yeah, I'm comparing it's position on the sales chart to what the movie did at the box office.  There's an obvious overlap but the movie didn't make a bunch of people run out and buy the comic.  Compare that to Walking Dead and that comic sells twice as much as Guardians and it's all because of the TV show.

In April, Walking Dead sold 66,500 copies to stores. Guardians sold 54,000 copies.

Does Marvel own a lot of cosmic stuff?  Who owns Annihilus?

I don't follow that sort of thing, but I would think most of the Abnett/Lanning stuff involves characters used by Marvel.  Annihilus' rights are tied up with FF, I think.  Same probably goes for Blastaar.

My understanding is Ms Marvel is one of few big two books that sells better digitally than print.

The digital sales are supposedly twice as much as the floppies.

An important thing to note is that even after the success of the movies, nobody gives a shit about Guardians of the Galaxy comics (I thought the art was cool but Bendis was awful) and nobody gives a shit about the solo Avengers books (Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Black Widow).

The main Guardians book sells like gangbusters. #32 out of all comics in April (picking a non-Secret Wars month).

Although you're right that the movie didn't really affect its position. It's been around that spot since it debuted.

Maybe, maybe not. The current version was based on what the film team would be and released to capitalize on it early. I suspect if no movie was coming this version wouldn't have lasted this long even with good writing.

The current book is so damn mediocre. I'm still disappointed Bendis is writing it. I would have rather he stayed on the X-books and left Guardians to someone else.

Does Marvel own a lot of cosmic stuff?  Who owns Annihilus?

Yes and no. They own a lot of the cosmic stuff, but a lot of the biggest stuff sans the Kree & Thanos are tied up in the X-men & F4 licenses (Skrulls, Shiar, Galactus, Silver Surfer, etc.).

They're definitely trying to kill the licenses drawing power plus

Isn't the rumor that the end of the Secret Wars will feature the deaths of Reed and Sue since they are nowhere to be found post-Secret Wars

Nope.

The rumour is that they kill Franklin and Valeria.

Also I can't help but wonder if Galactus or Annihilus couldn't be used for GotG by way of the Quicksilver precedent. Annihilus would be the safer bet since he hasn't appeared in a movie in any fashion yet.

Well yeah, I'm comparing it's position on the sales chart to what the movie did at the box office.  There's an obvious overlap but the movie didn't make a bunch of people run out and buy the comic.  Compare that to Walking Dead and that comic sells twice as much as Guardians and it's all because of the TV show.

In April, Walking Dead sold 66,500 copies to stores. Guardians sold 54,000 copies.

I've seen Walking Dead up around 80,000-90,000 before maybe it's falling off now.

edit:  July 2015 issue did 79,000+ 

They're definitely trying to kill the licenses drawing power plus

Isn't the rumor that the end of the Secret Wars will feature the deaths of Reed and Sue since they are nowhere to be found post-Secret Wars

Nope.

The rumour is that they kill Franklin and Valeria.

Also I can't help but wonder if Galactus or Annihilus couldn't be used for GotG by way of the Quicksilver precedent. Annihilus would be the safer bet since he hasn't appeared in a movie in any fashion yet.

Actually both are rumors running around. Its just that the second one is more likely. I'm hoping both prove false.

And no on Galactus seeing as they tried to negotiate his use once before with Fox.

I don't know.

Right now there's a Guardians franchise.

Pretty soon there'll be a Star-Lord comic, a Drax comic, a Gamora comic, a Rocket comic (which does gangbusters in sales, no?), and a Groot comic, right? That would have been an insane thought five years ago.

To add to the Guardians films and the comics, there's an animated series coming out also. Amazing rise.

The first hour is okay. It's pretty basic boilerplate superhero origin stuff, stretched out a bit more than feels necessary (especially given the blessedly short 100 minute runtime) but fairly well done up until the actual big origin scene that pissed me off by basically excluding Sue.

But everything after that one year later jump is so fucking bad.

• Like 1

They might consider an alternate cut, but I don't think they'd let Trank be the one to re-cut it. Also, I doubt that there's any effects work been done on the fantasticar scenes, so unless you want random untreated bits of them in front of a green screen... I don't think FOX wants to spend any more money on this. I think they regret spending as much as they have.

Unpopular opinion time: The Schumacher Bat-films smoke the shitty Burton ones. By virtue of the Burton ones being just as ridiculous and nonsensical while taking themselves hyper seriously while the Schumacher films are content to be insane sendups to Batman 66.

Also Batman 89 is boring and terrible and Jack Nicholson's Joker fucking sucks.

COME AT ME!

Uh no... Uh Huh Huh

• Like 1

The best thing for the Fantastic Four would've been to either make the first act a TV special and then spend more time on the second and third acts expanding, in theaters, what needed to be expanded (Why Reed left, why Doom hates Earth)

Still it will be interesting to see what Fantastic Four 2 looks like if it comes out or if we'll just get another reboot of Fantastic Four in six years (That's enough time for Marvel to slowly kill off everyone in the Fantastic Four universe right?)