DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

Here's a novel idea: how about a Fantastic Four movie that isn't a god-damned origin story? I'm thoroughly sick of that shit by now, and I get the general feeling that audiences are too. You can sum up these things so easily: "We were on a space mission, we got irradiated, weird shit happened, hey presto superpowers." There, I just saved you forty minutes of exposition, and fifty million dollars of effects work. Now go DO something with the superpowers.

Why is the origin considered so damn important, anyway? Nobody cared how the parents in The Incredibles got their powers, I don't think they ever brought it up in that movie. Bullshit like the Tom Jane Punisher was ruined for me by devoting literally half the movie to the hero's creation, when War Zone pretty effortlessly showed that you just have someone mention "he's former military and his family was massacred by gangsters" and that's all the backstory you need.

Here's a novel idea: how about a Fantastic Four movie that isn't a god-damned origin story? I'm thoroughly sick of that shit by now, and I get the general feeling that audiences are too. You can sum up these things so easily: "We were on a space mission, we got irradiated, weird shit happened, hey presto superpowers." There, I just saved you forty minutes of exposition, and fifty million dollars of effects work. Now go DO something with the superpowers.

So novel that I posted it in this thread weeks ago. =D

• Like 1

Blade the Hunter possibly in development:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/72845

I loved the second one directed by Guillermo and the first movie has the coolest introduction to a comic book character with him showing up at the "Blood Bath" rave the vampires are having. I'd love to see this or something where he faces off with Morbius.

• Like 1

Blade the Hunter possibly in development:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/72845

I loved the second one directed by Guillermo and the first movie has the coolest introduction to a comic book character with him showing up at the "Blood Bath" rave the vampires are having. I'd love to see this or something where he faces off with Morbius.

Big fan of Blade and Blade II. Blade: Trinity...not so much. Blade: Trinity fucking sucks.

• Like 2

I would love another Blade film, especially with Snipes again, but I have no interest in the whole Daughter of Blade premise. At least not yet. It seems way too early to try such a thing, and it feels like it would likely change up what worked for the original films too much.

Trinity poisoned the well for Blade films and Ghost Rider blew goats as a franchise so I will never get my Avengers-style Midnight Sons ensemble movie. 

Thanks, guys.

The Fallon Grey movie idea sounds horrible.  The character IMO is a glorified fan fic personality.  I am not looking forward to Zendaya lopping off vampire heads.

Trinity poisoned the well for Blade films and Ghost Rider blew goats as a franchise so I will never get my Avengers-style Midnight Sons ensemble movie.

Thanks, guys.

The Fallon Grey movie idea sounds horrible. The character IMO is a glorified fan fic personality. I am not looking forward to Zendaya lopping off vampire heads.

Conisering she can't do most of the "martial arts" of her current show (incredible use of doubles), I don't think there's any danger of that.

finally got around to watching Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2 in the last two weeks.

#1 was underwhelming but ultimately OK. found it odd that he never caught Uncle Ben's killer. they devoted a significant amount of time to that, and then just never followed up on it. thought maybe they were leaving it open for the sequel, but there wasn't even a passing reference to it.  Andrew Garfield was perfectly fine as Peter Parker/Spider-Man, but he wasn't amazing or anything. no pun intended.

the Lizard was done fairly well, although it was a very quick turnaround from "i want to regrow my arm" into "i want to change the entire planet into lizards".

#2 wasn't very good at all and i was bored for most of it. they storyline of his parents never plays to any significant reveal (he doesn't even tell Aunt May what he found?), the tacked-on Rhino bit at the end was really quite dumb, and the on-again, off-again relationship with Gwen was ridiculous. Jamie Foxx's character Max was interesting, but i felt that once he got his electric powers any character development went out the window. same for Harry Osbourne's transformation into a non-named Green Goblin. who was also felled quite easily.

i DID like how they played with expectations. the first time Harry dropped Gwen, the subway transformation, watching Max come so close to becoming Electro before it actually happened.

• 2 weeks later...

^ That's what my Commander Shepard looked like in Mass Effect 2. Had long hair in ME1, but

having died and been resurrected at the start of ME2, I figured there wouldn't have been time for it to grow back.

Shame you can't romance Jack as FemShep, really.