DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

So I watched about half of FF 2K15 (up to where they get their powers) the other night and actually liked it a fair bit. It gets Doom wrong mostly but I'm starting to think Doom needs the conceits of a full superhero world to work. It *does* nail Reed being smarter than him and Doom finding that intolerable. Reed and Ben's friendship is great. Johnny is great even if making him black apparently also meant having him become a street racing hooligan. The take on Sue mostly worked.

I dunno. I fully accept that it could take a turn after that point. It was 3am and I needed sleep more than I needed to find out. But up to them getting their powers it was a totally decent film.

Now I'm starting to wonder if Marvel knew they were getting FF back for awhile now and that's why Inhumans got cancelled. The logical progression was always doing a FF movie that introduces the Inhumans then spinning them off into their own film down the line.

If James Gunn has any sense whatsoever, he tells the CGI guys to start working on a post-credits cameo by the Big G right now. Howard was cool and all but the Devourer of Worlds would cause the internet to explode.

Didn't Sony deny, deny, deny when people started talking about Spidey's presumptive Marvel movie? Even after the email leaks basically confirmed it?

They confirmed Sony only thought to push for it because of the rumors that is was happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Deadpool prediction: since the whole thing seems heavily influenced by Joe Kelly, Colossus is the Captain America stand-in, the good hero roped in when Wade doesn't work out for the forces trying to control him. Whether he gets mind controlled and kicked in the balls is still questionable.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of Fantastic Four (well 3 weeks ago)

20th Century Fox finally got around to removing the sequel from its upcoming calendar

The sequel was supposed to come on on June 2, 2017

• 2 weeks later...

Glad they fixed Apocalypse so he doesn't look like Ivan Ooze.

Trailer is absolutely awesome. Oscar Isaac and James McAvoy seem prepared for some intense scene chewing. I'm concerned about Mystique here...I get putting Jennifer Lawrence front and center given her profile and it worked as a moral center torn between the people she loved in DOFP but what the fuck? She's just an X-Man now? And moreover, that is the most stilted acting I've seen from her in her whole career, making me worry she's just checked out of this franchise.

Still, way more good than bad and did a lot to address my concerns.

Doing some reading around the internet and all I've seen so far are "this looks bland" and "FOX should give the rights back"  and "This doesn't look on the level of Civil War and Batman v. Superman" 

Which is all strange to me..  I can see being concerned about Jennifer Lawrence because she didn't want to do another one of these. But the rest of the cast is awesome and Singer has never made a bad X-Men film. They have a nice track record.

I think the whole world has gone mad. I'll be there first weekend.