DVDVR Message Board

The Marvel Things That Aren't "Marvel" Things

RIPPA

Is Gambit even still popular enough to get a standalone film? I'm not sure his appeal has passed down to the current teens-and-twentysomethings demographic. Kinda like Cable, I think his zeitgeist has come and gone.

He had an ongoing a year or two ago that got cancelled after around 15 issues, so I don't think he's that popular. But if you went by that alone, barely any character would be popular enough to make a movie out of.

The comic book that Guardians of the Galaxy was based on got cancelled after 25 issues.

I don't know, why they are so insistent about Gambit in particular either, though. I think they are banking more on the popularity of the X-Men franchise as a whole combined with the drawing power of Channing Tatum on this one.

They're losing Jackman and probably Lawrence. They need to make a character as popular as Wolverine in a damn hurry. Gambit isn't the best choice of character for that, but who else could they use that they haven't already use? Plus, Tatum is bankable and charming.

Oh you said "bankable"...

If the only non-animated movies he did were 21 and 22 Jump Street, he is certainly bankable I guess. Now if you count White House Down and Jupiter Ascending...

I think his joke was that he thought I said "bangable". Which, he is that too.

Oh you said "bankable"...

If the only non-animated movies he did were 21 and 22 Jump Street, he is certainly bankable I guess. Now if you count White House Down and Jupiter Ascending...

I think his joke was that he thought I said "bangable". Which, he is that too.

Yes, I get that.

But I don't think he is bankable. Bangable? I probably wouldn't say no to him over the phone.

Magic Mike and its sequel did well, didn't they?

The sequel had a very lukewarm opening weekend despite opening on a Wednesday (under 13 mil for the weekend and like 27m all together). Then again, the sequel didn't have a plot (well compared to the original), had no Matthew McConnaughey, and just dudes traveling around place to place dancing half naked. It cost under $20 million to make. They would basically have to not market the movie all for it to be a total flop. I don't think that's the best compass to determine drawing ability especially when Gambit is going to cost at least $125 million more to make.

I am not saying he is Ryan Reynolds, but he has his failures and successes based on whether people want to see the movie. He isn't the biggest factor.

Magic Mike 2 still made over a hundred million worldwide. And Tatum's starred in eleven different movies that have crossed the hundred-mil mark; so, yes, very bankable.

Also, considering we've seen Gambit before: at this point, are we flatly pretending that X-Men Origins: Wolverine never happened? Sheeyit, what parts of the older X-men movies HAVE happened? You'd think Mystique would never have gone back to work for Magneto again, at the very least, after the events of Days of Future Past.

If you count international

I am not.
The studios sure do count it, when deciding what movies to make.

Except that Magic Mike XXL was the second disappointing Wednesday opening for WB just like Entourage this year, finishing just barely inside the top 5 during its opening weekend. If you were a studio exec, you would want to find someone whose films did well stateside. It also performed well under its projections:

Women were not out in full force for "Magic Mike" this weekend.

The sequel to the surprise 2012 hit, was not as big as analysts thought it would be over the holiday weekend.

The film opened to $11.6 million over the three-day weekend. Over the five-day weekend "Magic Mike XXL" brought in $26.7 million.

2012's "Magic Mike" made $39 million opening weekend on a $7 million budget.

Estimates for "Magic Mike" had it making between $45 million and $48 million over the five-day weekend. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/magic-mike-sequel-opening-weekend-box-office-2015-7

In fourth place, Magic Mike XXL also pulled disappointing numbers, grossing only $11 million over the weekend and $26 million over its first five days. This is especially bad when you remember that the first movie opened to $39 million three years ago before going on to break $100 million. Unless word of mouth begins to prop it up in the weeks ahead, Magic Mike XXL won’t even come close to those numbers. Some may blame the holiday weekend, but the first film also opened around the Fourth of July.

http://screencrush.com/weekend-box-office-terminator-genisys/

Original did $113m to the sequel's $65m.

If we are counting films that didn't completely lose their ass by the end of their theatrical run, they are plenty of pretty white boys who weren't in bombs like Jupiter Ascending and White House Down.

If Gambit did $27 million domestically opening weekend, there would heads on the stake at Fox. "Well, it did well in Japan and uh.....Micronesia." is not gonna save jobs.

Fuck it. Gambit as Magic Mike 2.5 with Edgar Wright directing. A hilarious romp about a mutant thief searching for male stripper mecca. Let's do it.

If they also found some role for Jonah Hill in this, this would be amazing and probably my No. 1 pick in next year's Summer Blockbuster poll.

By the way, I can see Gambit getting that Fantastic Flo...um..Four sequel date. You have to be super optimistic to believe that you're going to start shooting a $150 million movie in March and expect to be out in early October the same year. That or you're doing the same amount of cocaine and pills Don Simpson was consuming during Days of Thunder. Then, it's very realistic.

I'm still confused about how a film which made 796% gross profit is somehow considered to be a huge disappointment. Yeah, it didn't do as well as the first Magic Mike, but 1.most sequels don't surpass the original hit; 2.they were missing one of the stars and the big-name director; and most importantly 3.the original movie was an unexpected hit, it was one of those situations where NOBODY thought it was gonna pull those numbers. Expecting lightning to strike twice is just unrealistic.

If you were a studio exec, you would want to find someone whose films did well stateside.

A dollar is a dollar, it doesn't matter if you made it in America or in China.