DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 Million subscribers, did not see that coming.  Looks like Vince will be running things forever now considering putting the Network online was his call. However they noted "significant additions for the Royal Rumble" can they keep them? Stock is already up 15% since they announced it.

That is just amazing timing considering the #CancelWWENetwork thing.

I mean, I'm accepting those numbers, but, gee, what fortuitous timing. 

I'm curious if that's 1 million active subscribers as of me typing this message, or just 1 million people were at one point subscribed to the network.

There's a big difference, and I wouldn't put it past WWE to try to pass off the latter as a huge milestone accomplishment.

That is just amazing timing considering the #CancelWWENetwork thing.

I mean, I'm accepting those numbers, but, gee, what fortuitous timing. 

I'm curious if that's 1 million active subscribers as of me typing this message, or just 1 million people were at one point subscribed to the network.

There's a big difference, and I wouldn't put it past WWE to try to pass off the latter as a huge milestone accomplishment.

Pretty sure with the UK and other countries getting the Network that's what made the numbers over 1 Million. It's 1 million worldwide subscribers

I could be terribly wrong but whenever the topic of Andre finishing up in WWE I feel like he was advertised in as a participant in the 1991 Royal Rumble. Like on one of the Superstars of Wrestling updates/control center deals. Maybe it was just to boost numbers.

IIRC, in a later Event Center segment, it was announced that he would not compete and that was it.  Curious what plans the WWF had for Andre for the 91 Rumble given his health.

JD 

So much for #CancelWWENetwork.  They hit their goal.

Now can we shut up about the network being a failure?

I made the mistake earlier of seeing what the reaction to this was in darker corners of the IWC, and apparently we cannot shut up about that. Now people are still saying it's a failure because they need 1.5m in order to offset the revenue lost from PPVs.

Wrestling fans are terrible. 

AJPW had no problem putting him in the ring like 4 months before he freakin died.

In six-man comedy matches where he didn't have to take any bumps.  I imagine if he had worked the '91 Rumble, they would've had Earthquake attack him before he got to the ring.

AJPW had no problem putting him in the ring like 4 months before he freakin died.

In six-man comedy matches where he didn't have to take any bumps.  I imagine if he had worked the '91 Rumble, they would've had Earthquake attack him before he got to the ring.

Isn't that how they put him out for good on TV? Earthquake splashed his legs or something?

I remember Quake jacking his leg up with Jimmy Hart's megaphone to explain Andre on walking sticks.  Don't recall what happened after Mania 7 though.  Didn't he help the Bushwackers at Summerslam, then he was pretty  much done?  Am I looney?

I remember Quake jacking his leg up with Jimmy Hart's megaphone to explain Andre on walking sticks.  Don't recall what happened after Mania 7 though.  Didn't he help the Bushwackers at Summerslam, then he was pretty  much done?  Am I looney?

Other than an appearance at a Paris house show, that was it for him in WWF, yeah. 

Other than an appearance at a Paris house show, that was it for him in WWF, yeah. 

He did a bunch of house shows in Europe, where they reprised the same finish of Andre helping Bulldog defeat Earthquake. I wonder if any of those were filmed, because I'm pretty sure Quake never ate a pinfall on TV, at least not during that run (he passed out in the Million Dollar Dream and got counted out against Hulk, but that's about it).

According to a Variety article, the WWE Network number is as of today and comes AFTER the cancellations they saw following the Rumble. It marks a 37% increase in subscribers since their reporting from September 30, with 24% of that increase being from the US.  If I'm doing the math properly, that's a little shy of 65,000 new US subscribers, which isn't terrible, and then about 205,000 in new international subscribers, which I'm guessing is primarily UK.

Personally, I'm glad to see them get there.  I love the service.

No idea how to embed this piece of awesomeness that has only now come to my attention.

I haven't read every post since this one, but look for the Hogan's Heroes one if you haven't seen it.

'Hey, hey, hey, ya fuckin' Nazi!'

'Leaping Lanny Poffo is goin' boffo!'

• Like 1

According to a Variety article, the WWE Network number is as of today and comes AFTER the cancellations they saw following the Rumble. It marks a 37% increase in subscribers since their reporting from September 30, with 24% of that increase being from the US.  If I'm doing the math properly, that's a little shy of 65,000 new US subscribers, which isn't terrible, and then about 205,000 in new international subscribers, which I'm guessing is primarily UK.

Personally, I'm glad to see them get there.  I love the service.

That number is using the people that signed up for the free month back in November, and then promptly cancelled right after.