DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

I am now in the West Elizabeth portion of Red Dead. Instead of doing a mission when I got there, I decided to get the Poker achievement at Blackwater. This was not because I am trying to 100% the game (I am not), but because I wanted a poor excuse to play Texas Hold 'Em.

It seems like this will be the shortest portion of the game. I looked at the volume of missions, and it seems like I could knock them all out in a couple of hours if I really pushed through it. I'll probably get myself sidetracked on a stranger mission or two which will slow that process down.

Also, since I have sporadically played this game since it was released, I cannot remember at what point:

That we discover that Marston was working for the feds or if that is a revelation that you first get in Mexico.

I thought KH3 was scheduled for Christmas this year.

Now I'm disappointed twice.

No chance. One guy is directing FF XV, Kingdom Hearts 3, and now the FF VII remake. Squaresoft is still claiming 2015, but they're lying out their ass. Kingdom Hearts is AT LEAST a Holiday 2016 game. Maybe later.

They took Nomura off of FFXV last year so he could focus on Kingdom Hearts 3 and presumably the FF VIII remake. I don't recall KH3 ever getting a released date. It was pretty obvious they hadn't been working on it long when they revealed it two years ago so I would think it obvious late 2016 is when it would release.

I like how Fresh threw in Cuphead

A game that you can't play until 2016

Unravel is also not out yet. And? They both will be. And they aren't "angry douchebags shooting things".

It's more your exact quote was "you can and should be playing"

I mean there were tons of indy games to choose from that actually are out instead of ones you are convinced are going to be awesome.

Of course I am still laughing that Vince took your bait too.

I mean there were tons of indy games to choose from that actually are out instead of ones you are convinced are going to be awesome.

And I also named a bunch of those too.

Of course I am still laughing that Vince took your bait too.

No bait. Japan has allowed America to completely overtake them in console games. And they only have themselves to blame. If they even care. They probably don't since their mobile games are making a killing.

Square Enix is a gift that keeps on giving.

What happened to the big Japanese gaming companies?

Pretty simple. America started making and preferring their own games of similar or better quality and of much more mainstream design and Japan switched to mobile devices. So your Capcoms, your Konamis are in very rough spots indeed. Also, videogamers in America used to love Japanese Weirdness because videogames were still fairly specific and fairly nerdy. That started to change all the way back when Tecmo Bowl and especially Madden came out and attracted the same kids who beat up the kids playing Final Fantasy but really the tide turned to being so mainstream when GTA3 dropped.

Japan didn't adapt and Japan is dying. I miss their dominance over the market every day. 

Also put me in the Japan games are best games camp.

I was asking a rhetorical question, but good summary.

Japan doesn't have a qualified workforce big enough to do what they were doing in gen six in HD. The US was always going to win an arms race when the weapons were one of scale, cuz it big. You'll notice that the Japanese developers that bet the farm on tech = sales were hit hardest and vice versa.

A lot of the talent from former Japanese gaming superpowers like Square, Capcom and Sega (not to mention the umpteen smaller companies that don't exist any more) didn't simply vanish or git bahd, but they might as well have if you don't have a Nintendo system because that's who they work for now.

I'm not going to bore anyone with an anti-AAA rant but saying they sell more because they're the best is like saying big budget movies sell more because they're the best. Spending lots of money on making entertainment means spending lots of money on persuading people to buy them. Everyone rushes out to purchase Watch Dogs, Man of Steel, Destiny, Jurassic World or whatever and then they discuss whether not they were worth the money. Also notable is that AAA titles strongly court tech fans and movie fans because these demographics are safe to appease if you have cash to spend. Mass Effect, Red Dead, COD etc rely heavily on the appeal of their settings (which are nearly always already established via Hollywood) to sell a fantasy in a way that even Western game-wannabes from Japan like Resident Evil or Vanquish don't even attempt to. GTA uses movies to sell like Madden uses the NFL.

• Like 1

GTA isn't an American game (series). It's an attack on the hypocrisy inherent in American culture. From Scotland!

• Like 5

GTA isn't an American game (series). It's an attack on the hypocrisy inherent in American culture. From Scotland!

The discussion was about why Japanese developers were falling off, no one said GTA was an American game.  I named it as an example of a big non-Japanese game that is successful for all the reasons current Japanese games are not. 

So be happy I took time out of this Red, White, and Blue day, and even acknowledged your little eurogame.  These colors don't run...or something.

• Like 1

Pointlessly edited quote to imply people were saying GTA was American:

Square Enix is a gift that keeps on giving.

What happened to the big Japanese gaming companies?

Pretty simple. America started making and preferring their own games of similar or better quality ... but really the tide turned to being so mainstream when GTA3 dropped.

Japan doesn't have a qualified workforce big enough to do what they were doing in gen six in HD. The US was always going to win an arms race when the weapons were one of scale, cuz it big... Mass Effect, Red Dead, COD etc rely heavily on the appeal of their settings... GTA uses movies to sell like Madden uses the NFL.

I thought the Red White and Blue day was next Saturday, anyway? I know it's just red and white tomorrow.

The thing is I don't think anyone gives a fuck where games are made, they just care whether or not the game is good.  If Final Fantasy XIII was as good as Final Fantasy VII or X, we'd all still be playing Final Fantasy.  The issue isn't that they games are being made in Japan, the issue is they are making games that seem outdated, smaller, or just something that appeals to a much smaller audience.  I don't, and I'm sure no one else does either, check where a game was developed when I buy it.  I just play the games that appeal to me, no matter if they're from Japan, Scotland, or the Good Ol' U.S. of A.  People aren't deciding not to play games because they're Japanese, people are deciding not to play games that don't appeal to them. 

More Red Dead fun:

I played a couple of Stranger missions in West Elizabeth, which allowed me to finally complete the Strange Man/I Know You mission.

Learning that he is sort of the Grim Reaper/God/Satan/Whatever was kind of spooky. I kind of hate that I know this game ends with Marston's death (the exact details are somewhat a mystery), but this was a great bit of foreshadowing from Rockstar.

I also played the Mission where Marston finally encounters Dutch for the first time. That was quite the intense scene that led to quite the chase and battle with Native Americans in the woods.

I think I may have this game finished by Thursday.

Marvel are going predictably bonkers on Ant-Man stuff, including a Zen Pinball 2 table. I haven't bought a new ZP table since South Park, so I'm certainly in for that. (HAs anyone played Age of Ultron or Deadpool? I tend to play pinball games obsessively for a month and then walk away for a year, so I'm WAY behind.)

The Terraria 1.3 update is out today. I haven't played it in a while, but I'll probably be going back down that rabbit hole. Such a beautiful, well crafted little universe you can lose yourself in and just have fun.

I also should really get around to trying Pixel Piracy, which is the other game from the same studio. I have it in my infinite backlog.

• Like 1

Marvel are going predictably bonkers on Ant-Man stuff, including a Zen Pinball 2 table. I haven't bought a new ZP table since South Park, so I'm certainly in for that. (HAs anyone played Age of Ultron or Deadpool? I tend to play pinball games obsessively for a month and then walk away for a year, so I'm WAY behind.)

Ant-Man is coming to Marvel Heroes too! Hooray!

Yeah, and contrary to what Brevik initially said, it looks like he'll be launching with 3 costumes (Scott Lang current comics, movie Scott, and a classic Hank Pym with the voice actor from EMH). Time to start saving Splinters and figure out where I'm getting an extra $9.50 in a tight month.

I quite like when posters give a little list of titles they have been playing recently with short summaries, and while that's not my kind of thing seeing as we're halfway through the year now I'll post a list of what I have been playing in 2015 so far. Might trigger a memory or two. Doesn't include games I've played briefly with friends but does include games I've started and played for minutes before deciding to stop forever.

Gradius
Weapon Shop De Omasse
NIGHTS into Dreams
Luftrausers
Block Block
Hammerwatch
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Wipeout HD
Link's Crossbow Training
Virtua Fighter 2
What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord!? 2
Awesomenauts
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Bit.Trip Beat
Sonic Adventure DX
Gunpoint
The King of Fighters 2000
The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces
Ape Escape 3
Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer
Really Big Sky
Capcom vs SNK
R-Type
The Swapper
Gunblade NY
Pokemon Shuffle
DODonPachi
Fatal Fury 3
Papers Please
Fat Princess: Fistful of Cake
Marvel vs Capcom
CRUSH3D
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Super Mario 3D Land
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine
Ridge Racer V
Beatbuddy
Syvalion
Fairy Bloom Freesia
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Virtua Tennis: World Tour
The Last Blade
Kirby's Epic Yarn
3D Super Hang On
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes
Danmaku Unlimited 2
Sub Rebellion

Street Fighter IV

Flingsmash

Conclusion: I have a ton of great unplayed games on my shelf why am I playing some of this shit.

You keep your Dreamcast in front of your telly, even after all these years?

Mine's in the loft.