DVDVR Message Board

2015 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING NONSENSE

RIPPA

Hollywood and their sheep mentality. This is hilarious. "LBJ, so hot right now. LBJ."

Ya know, a couple months ago, I was thinking "Man, I sure hope we get TWO LBJ movies in the near future". I am so thankful that my request was answered.

lee-daniels-Liev-Schreiber-Lyndon-B-John

"Damn, I should've waited."

He looks more like Nixon. And that picture of Harrelson is hilarious to me. 

You know, I didn't know American Gangster was directed by Ridley Scott. Pretty solid picture that I should've mentioned in our Black Mass conversation in the other thread. I love this scene especially. 

"You blot that shit!"

Ridley Scott has been pretty good in recent times. At least with everything I've seen. 

Black Hawk Down - loved it. The action sequences were very good and very scary.

Kingdom of Heaven  - Really enjoyed the director's cut of this one.

American Gangster - A little underwhelming but Denzel was great. Should have been better but still solid.

Prometheus -  Again. Should have been great but there's enough there to give it plenty of replay value. Beautiful looking film too.

Robin Hood I didn't bother with because I read that it was a more "realistic take" and I do not like the sound of a realistic Robin Hood. 

I refused to watch Exodus.

The Martian looks cool.

You forgot to list Body of Lies, Matchstick Men, or The Counselor.

This needs to end. I hope it fails miserably. Do people not even write books anymore? Can't they steal/use ideas from books instead of just rebooting shit every 10 years-15 years?

50 Shades of Grey

Every future dystopia chosen one YA novel written in the past 10 years

Essentially any garbage books that become a trend will get made into a movie, so be careful what you wish for.

Ridley Scott has been pretty good in recent times. At least with everything I've seen. 

Black Hawk Down - loved it. The action sequences were very good and very scary.

Kingdom of Heaven  - Really enjoyed the director's cut of this one.

American Gangster - A little underwhelming but Denzel was great. Should have been better but still solid.

Prometheus -  Again. Should have been great but there's enough there to give it plenty of replay value. Beautiful looking film too.

Robin Hood I didn't bother with because I read that it was a more "realistic take" and I do not like the sound of a realistic Robin Hood. 

I refused to watch Exodus.

The Martian looks cool.

You forgot to list Body of Lies, Matchstick Men, or The Counselor.

The Counselor is one of the best bad movies in awhile.

Black Hawn Down is amazing. Probably the last *great* Ridley Scott movie with The Martian still pending.

Matchstick Men is a pretty decent long con (SPOILER ALERT) movie. Not exactly Nueve Reinas or House of Games, but it's watchable if you get pass Nic Cage's goofy acting.

Kingdom of Heaven was bad and long. Orlando Bloom sucks to the max. I did enjoy Edward Norton's brief cameo as the leper king.

I never seen A Good Year.

American Gangster was a decent flick but it felt too much like Denzel playing Denzel Washington as Frank Lucas. I believe if this was pre-Training Day Denzel, he would've probably nailed it. AG had some good performances, but would never rank high in terms of my favorite crime/gangster movies. 

Saw Body of Lies about four or five months ago. Thought it was pretty forgettable. 

Robin Hood was a beautiful looking (thanks to John Mathieson), boring as shit movie.

I thought Prometheus was good, but I'll admit that cinematography played a huge part of my opinion. Hopefully, Paradise Lost is better. Like way better.

The Counselor was sooooo bad. McCarthy's terrible screenplay. Fassbender and Penelope Cruz having zero chemistry. The awful decapitation contraption thing Ridley Scott is really obsessed with for whatever reason. Toby Kebbell's Texas (???) accent. Bardem doing whatever he was doing in a Gucci shirt. Cameron Diaz putting on one of the worst acting performances in modern cinema history. It just seems like a weird ode (maybe unintentional parody) to his brother, but he decided to include all the worst elements from Tony's movies (well besides Travolta in the Pelham remake) and throw in some shit from Breaking Bad. It's just a disaster. The scene where Brad Pitt's head pops off in the streets of London, and they just carry his headless carcass away is one of the funniest things ever though. That and Dariusz Wolski's cinematography of this mess are the high points.

Exodus....wooo. We can just act like this movie doesn't exist.

The idea that adapting a book to make a film is somehow more artistically valuable than doing another shameless remake/reboot/reimagining/sequel to a film is laughable.  Really, what's the difference between adapting a book and continuing a franchise?  Both come from the same cynical place: Hollywood execs looking for a surefire hit by adapting a property that already has an existing fanbase.  Why build an audience when you can buy one?  There is no difference between making another Men and Black, another Nicholas Sparks adaptation, Avengers 4, or Perfect Strangers: The Motion Picture.  It all comes from the same unimaginative, risk-averse strategy.  People lined up for Star Wars Episode I and The Hunger Games equally.

This needs to end. I hope it fails miserably. Do people not even write books anymore? Can't they steal/use ideas from books instead of just rebooting shit every 10 years-15 years?

50 Shades of Grey

Every future dystopia chosen one YA novel written in the past 10 years

Essentially any garbage books that become a trend will get made into a movie, so be careful what you wish for.

I was thinking more of dramas and psychological thrillers.

And to respond to your last post, that's why I said "steal" from books. At least with those, they haven't already been made into films before. How is that not more "artistically valuable" than just redoing a movie that was done 10-20 years ago? Hollywood's always been about adaptations from novels and I'm aware there were a great deal of remakes in the golden age but those were largely remakes of silent films.

It boils down to Hollywood focusing on big dumb action movies at such a ridiculous degree that the alternatives are the annual Judd Apatow comedies and shitty horror movies.

Me too. I never understood why Salvation was so hated on. I'm completely guilty in falling for a lot of their trappings, like I'm very excited for next year's Jungle Book, but I'd really like to see them put resources into movies where the audience has to think even just a li'l bit.

• Like 1